Missing Llama CO 751 Cave Basin

Ultraheight

Lil-Rokslider
Hi All,
This is a long shot but posting with the hope that some has found a white llama with a brown rear end in the Colorado GMU 751, off the Cave Basin trail on Middle Mountain. Huge black bear tore through camp and llama ripped out the ground stake and took off. We tracked it to within .25 mile of the trail but it didn’t go back to the trailhead. Plz DM with any info.

Vids

WKR
If you haven't already, make sure the local sheriff and DPW office know about it. They can connect with local ranchers and guides in the event they run across it. Good luck and hope you find it.

RickH

Lil-Rokslider
Man, I hope you find him. If he's dragging the stakeout line as well as the corkscrew stake he's probably hung up somewhere with all the downed trees. A tracking dog might be helpful. Contact parks and Wildlife in Durango for local houndsmen.

Wait, the Llama was found by other Llama Packers? What are the odds? Now I know where to go Llama hunting, Cave Basin.
Glad he was found though. Anyone know if it was a rental Llama? I bet it would be expensive if you lost one of those.

RickH

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah, it was a rental llama. The guys that found it also had rentals. My wife who works for the forest service just happened to be up in that area and talked with all of them. They found it glassing and spotted it tangled up in some rocks out in the open. Lucky it didn't run down into the timber and get tangled. I'm sure losing one of those rentals would be very expensive seeing how much trained packers are selling for these days. Here's a pic the guys who found it sent to my wife.

Attachments

• 20200917_170756.jpg
    20200917_170756.jpg
    559.4 KB · Views: 246
Wow incredible story! Thanks for sharing the details and picture! That's crazy that he was found by other hunters that were just glassing and must have known something wasn't right with a solo Llama tied up in the rocks. It's also strange that he is in the middle of that scree field at all, Llamas don't typically like to walk through that stuff. I guess it's lucky that he did instead of getting tangled in the trees somewhere like you said and then he may never have been found. Lucky Llama and Lucky Renters.

Blueticker1

Lil-Rokslider
I have started microchipping and tattooing my llamas because I was worried about what would happen if they got loose and such. Then I started 2nd guessing myself thinking what kind of scumbag wouldn't return a llama that they found. Apparently they are out there.

I have started microchipping and tattooing my llamas because I was worried about what would happen if they got loose and such. Then I started 2nd guessing myself thinking what kind of scumbag wouldn't return a llama that they found. Apparently they are out there.

Never messed with Llamas, but for an animal potentially worth $10k, why not put something like a Garmin dog tracking device on it for security while out on the trail? I was listening to a recent podcast and it sounds like you can set those devices to ping at an interval that would allow the battery to last on the order of weeks and you could see it on a hand held.

Blueticker1

Lil-Rokslider
I ran hounds for a long time and have gps and telemetry equipment for tracking. But if some idiot is going to find a free llama, he's got nothing against throwing a tracking collar in the bushes. I dealt with that kind of stuff with my hounds for years.

OP
Ultraheight

Ultraheight

Lil-Rokslider
Hi All! OP here, yes llama was found. Bear attacked our camp, went for the llama, llama pulled ground stake out and took off. Bear turned on us and was on me before I could blink. Whoever thinks they will have time to even un-shoulder a rifle during a bear attack I now realize are nuts, the thing covered 30 yards in about a second. Turned off at the last minute. Spent three days above treeline looking for the llama, no dice. had to pack out 150 lbs worth of gear back to the trailhead Two absolute legends from Iowa found him way up near 12.7K feet. Glad not to be out USD 5k haha