Missing Rifle Scope Features?

Nillion

Lil-Rokslider
If you were using a 2.5-10x you could have easily set the scope to 10x on all of those animals and used the reticle, if you wanted. I guess we all hunt different. I had my NXS at 10x to kill a deer at 80 yards. If I am moving its at 4-6x. If I have time at all I will turn it to 10x.
I can’t be the only one who thoroughly dislikes using any scope at max magnification. On any scope, from a 3-9x to a 5-25x, the only times I ever use the max zoom is to zero my rifle. The eye box becomes too tight and FOV too small, so tracking my impact becomes much more difficult. Even when I shoot out to 1000 yards, I rarely use over 15x on my 5-25x scope. I think the sweet spot for most scopes is somewhere in the middle zoom range thus I’m very predisposed to FFP.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
If you were using a 2.5-10x you could have easily set the scope to 10x on all of those animals and used the reticle, if you wanted. I guess we all hunt different. I had my NXS at 10x to kill a deer at about 80 yards this year. If I am moving its at 4-6x. If I have time at all I will turn it to 10x.

Are you watching your bullet impact, the animals reaction, and/or the splash from a miss on 100% of shots (or as close to 100% as possible) through the scope? As in- seeing the actual shot impact through recoil?

I can’t be the only one who thoroughly dislikes using any scope at max magnification. On any scope, from a 3-9x to a 5-25x, the only times I ever use the max zoom is to zero my rifle. The eye box becomes too tight and FOV too small, so tracking my impact becomes much more difficult. Even when I shoot out to 1000 yards, I rarely use over 15x on my 5-25x scope. I think the sweet spot for most scopes is somewhere in the middle zoom range thus I’m very predisposed to FFP.

I highly doubt any of us are the only ones that like to do certain things certain ways. Otherwise we would all be using the same scope in the same way and this thread would not exist.

Most posts here are on the same page to the OPs question. Hopefully one day soon a manufacturer figures it out.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Form,
Do you have any input on the huskemaw 4-16x42? I figure if anybody has info and experience it would be you. How does it hold zero and track? Appreciate your input if you have any

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ehh. They’re ok from what I’ve seen. I don’t have a ton of use on them as a SFP, MOA, BDC turreted, scope with only wind holds in the reticle.

kipper09

WKR
Ehh. They’re ok from what I’ve seen. I don’t have a ton of use on them as a SFP, MOA, BDC turreted, scope with only wind holds in the reticle.

Appreciate that feedback. I guess the real question I have is what is the closest to what you describe early in the thread? Obviously there’s not the perfect scope, so what is the closest?

I think a swfa 3-9 has to be up there, nf nxs 2.5-10, the huskemaw 4-16, Zeiss v4 4-16x44 and the trijicon 2.5-15x42 credo hx all seem to be viable as far as specs. Sorry to derail a little just trying to get input.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Appreciate that feedback. I guess the real question I have is what is the closest to what you describe early in the thread? Obviously there’s not the perfect scope, so what is the closest?

I think a swfa 3-9 has to be up there, nf nxs 2.5-10, the huskemaw 4-16, Zeiss v4 4-16x44 and the trijicon 2.5-15x42 credo hx all seem to be viable as far as specs. Sorry to derail a little just trying to get input.

Really there’s nothing. The SWFA offers the most for a general use 0-600+ yards scope of anything made. The 2.5-10x NXS is out due to SFP and sub par reticles. The Huskemaw is out for the reasons I wrote. The Zeiss V4 is out due to durability/reliability, SFP and MOA. The Credo is out due SFP and sub par reticles. There are some S&B scopes which are decent with regards to reliability, size/weight, but have less than desirable reticles and high cost.

kipper09

WKR
Really there’s nothing. The SWFA offers the most for a general use 0-600+ yards scope of anything made. The 2.5-10x NXS is out due to SFP and sub par reticles. The Huskemaw is out for the reasons I wrote. The Zeiss V4 is out due to durability/reliability, SFP and MOA. The Credo is out due SFP and sub par reticles. There are some S&B scopes which are decent with regards to reliability, size/weight, but have less than desirable reticles and high cost.

Thanks again for that input. I keep reading the swfa is about as good as it gets. The value there is about as good as it could be for a 600 dollar scope. As I understand the swfa was a Tasco scope that was passed along maybe in their bankruptcy or something.

I’ve always been a little hesitant with 9 power max but 5-600 is as far as I’ll ever shoot. At this point all I want is a good scope that’s ultra reliable and can take some impacts if by chance they happen and dials reliably. Rugged and reliable is most important to me. Of course I wish it had swaro clarity but I think that is probably just a dream that will never happen.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Thanks again for that input. I keep reading the swfa is about as good as it gets. The value there is about as good as it could be for a 600 dollar scope. As I understand the swfa was a Tasco scope that was passed along maybe in their bankruptcy or something.

It’s a bit more involved than that. Tasco never made anything, just like the vast majority of companies now, they contract from the manufactures to make what they sell. The Tasco SS was made to compete in a Navy sniper optic trial- it won. Eventually when Tasco went under SWFA bought the rights to them and improved them. Any of them but the original fixed power “Classic” scopes are SWFA’s creations.

I’ve always been a little hesitant with 9 power max but 5-600 is as far as I’ll ever shoot. At this point all I want is a good scope that’s ultra reliable and can take some impacts if by chance they happen and dials reliably. Rugged and reliable is most important to me. Of course I wish it had swaro clarity but I think that is probably just a dream that will never happen.

People always believe they need huge power. You don’t. Not only is it not required for medium to long range on big game, it causes way more problems than it solves. The problem is people spend their time shooting groups on paper at 100 yards and believe that translates to field shooting animals. Spotting your impact/splashes/or misses through the scope is WAY more important than some visual comfort gained with high magnification. If you can see it in 8x or 10x binos, you can kill it with a 10x scope… and you get the added benefits of seeing more, reacting quicker, with a larger eyebox and longer eye relief.

THLR

Lil-Rokslider
6). Front focal plane, Mil/Mil with a reticle that is specially designed for low and high power visibility. Cut to the chase and use the THLR reticle from @THLR
As a dull fun-fact I can offer some background for that reticle. It was privately financed and put on the market by myself (I see no money from the sales).
  • First edition was an uncompromising shooters reticle: Try and engineer a more direct link between training and the decisions needed for a killing shot, regardless of range and magnification. For lack of a better explanation, I wanted CQB (not a good description) and precise LR shots to stay on the same "decision line", no separate drills. If you want background, Daniel Kahneman (psychologist/nobel prize winner) wrote in "Thinking Fast and Slow" about how the mind works, espescially in high stake situations.
  • Second edition (as seen in this post) polished some dimensions and implemented the standard MRAD format, but no commercial/market adaptation was made.
That reticle is not made to sell. It is made to kill with speed and precision as it supports decisions compatible with system 1 thinking (reflexes or simple decisions like 2+2=4). It is not for everyone and with limited input I'm pretty sure it's not perfect either. So it's not something I push in it's current state (i.e. no adaption to perceived market need).

Wrench

WKR

I cranked 3 from 1130 with a sub 8# 300wsm wearing a 3-9hd SWFA. Two damn near on top of each other, 3rd dropped a fuzz low. Full disclosure, the group should have been 6" left but I flopped the call on the thermals.

I don't like to pick up rifles after they break and i throw them, so I am the least trusting rifleman around....and I have a bunch of these.20210909_155555.jpg

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Curious if you just like that objective size to keep weight down or for another reason?

Primarily weight. I wouldn’t mind up to a 50mm, however another mid to heavy scope (25+ ounces) is not what’s needed. I haven’t seen a need for 50mm+ with a 12-16x max magnification scope, and a smaller objective is one way to keep size/weight/cost down.

Wrench

WKR
Agreed. I can shoot well past legal light here. 30 mins before and after sun up/down.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
That reticle is not made to sell. It is made to kill with speed and precision as it supports decisions compatible with system 1 thinking (reflexes or simple decisions like 2+2=4). It is not for everyone and with limited input I'm pretty sure it's not perfect either. So it's not something I push in it's current state (i.e. no adaption to perceived market need).

I would pay a significant premium to have the reticle put into every single hunting scope I use.

260madman

WKR
As a dull fun-fact I can offer some background for that reticle. It was privately financed and put on the market by myself (I see no money from the sales).
  • First edition was an uncompromising shooters reticle: Try and engineer a more direct link between training and the decisions needed for a killing shot, regardless of range and magnification. For lack of a better explanation, I wanted CQB (not a good description) and precise LR shots to stay on the same "decision line", no separate drills. If you want background, Daniel Kahneman (psychologist/nobel prize winner) wrote in "Thinking Fast and Slow" about how the mind works, espescially in high stake situations.
  • Second edition (as seen in this post) polished some dimensions and implemented the standard MRAD format, but no commercial/market adaptation was made.
I’ve been binge watching your videos. The video that explains the reticle makes it “click” for usage. I like it. Now I want one and a Blazer rifle like you have. Excellent shooting also.

My daughter would like to know the music you use at the beginning of your older videos at the beginning. She says she could do a program for figure skating with it, especially with the gun shot for the ending;).

Last edited:

260madman

WKR
I don't understand why Zeiss can make what seems like a dozen different reticles but not have one in Mil/Mil.
Your in luck. Zeiss just released a new scope that the turrets match the reticle. It’s for PRS and it’s $$$$.