Missing Rifle Scope Features?

Dobermann

WKR
Now, take that same rifle and bed the tang and lug tight, assemble as above, and the shift is not detectable.
I still reckon this would be a great topic for one of your photo essays that teach us all how to do stuff ... especially for those of us who don't already know and/or are limited to local gunsmiths who possibly don't either.

How many hundred people have used the 'how to mount a scope' and 'how to use the Mil Quad' reticle threads - they're better than most content you'll find on the interwebs, and in books from firearms publishers.

6.5Express

Lil-Rokslider
I have a NF SHV 3-10x42 with adjustable parralax and moar reticle. It checks all the boxes for me. Ive backpacked it all over and it rides in a scabbard on the side of a mule all spring and again September-the end of January. I dont understand why NF discontinued the adjustable parralax version of this scope as i feel it was what a lot of hunters would like if it was also offerred in mil/mil and, perhaps a 4-12x42 version, what else would compete at the price point?

SDHNTR

WKR
I prefer 3 power at 300 and 5 power at 500…etc. so a 10 power is more than enough for hunting and I would like you not likely take a shot on an animal at 10 power. Wonder why nightforce doesn’t embrace FFP. Still considering upgrading our current scopes to this one to add zero stop.
NF doesn’t embrace FFP? Say what?

BjornF16

WKR
I still reckon this would be a great topic for one of your photo essays that teach us all how to do stuff ... especially for those of us who don't already know and/or are limited to local gunsmiths who possibly don't either.

How many hundred people have used the 'how to mount a scope' and 'how to use the Mil Quad' reticle threads - they're better than most content you'll find on the interwebs, and in books from firearms publishers.
I'd appreciate a "how to bed a Tikka" tutorial...

Formidilosus

Super Moderator

I’ll try to remember to do so on the next new T3.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Ryan - just checking: are you meaning 4-16x44 is your preference, or Form's?

If yours, any reason you want/need a 4-16 over a 3-12?

My perfect scope would be a 3-18x44 with the THLR reticle with none of the shit/clutter above the center dot. I do a fair amount of antlerless-only hunts. That extra magnification is nice on those hunts to double-check what you are shooting at. But a 4-16 would work too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

Dobermann

WKR
My perfect scope would be a 3-18x44 with the THLR reticle with none of the shit/clutter above the center dot. I do a fair amount of antlerless only hunts. That extra magnification is nice on those hunts to double check what you are shooting at. But a 4-16 would work too.

Sounds like what a lot of us are after.

@THLR: in your current negotiations about a hunting scope offering, would some kind of pre-purchase commitment / group buy help in your discussions with whomever you're talking with?

Alternatively, while @Formidilosus said he thought NF would do it, they seemed lukewarm when one of us contacted them ...

Ryan, would you have the stomach / time to coordinate a Rokslide group buy? I know this has been done on the Hide a few times as a kind of crowdfunding for both ammo and rifles ... seems like it could send a strong message to a scope manufacturer if we had a bunch of advance orders.

I'd be in, and pretty sure I could convince a few other people to be as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
My perfect scope would be a 3-18x44 with the THLR reticle with none of the shit/clutter above the center dot.

Mine too. However I’m not willing to give up any other aspect of the scope to get the 3-18x: reliability, durability, eyebox needs to be huge, good eye relief, depth of field, field of view, etc. 3-18x40somthing MM is all but perfect for a 0-as far as you can shoot yard scope, but it needs to be fantastically usable behind it. If I have to give up a bit of eyebox or DOF- nah, I’ll take a 4-16x.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Mine too. However I’m not willing to give up any other aspect of the scope to get the 3-18x: reliability, durability, eyebox needs to be huge, good eye relief, depth of field, field of view, etc. 3-18x40somthing MM is all but perfect for a 0-as far as you can shoot yard scope, but it needs to be fantastically usable behind it. If I have to give up a bit of eyebox or DOF- nah, I’ll take a 4-16x.

So a Tenmile with the THLR reticle?

Dos XX

WKR
Anyone else get the impression that tract was pandering with this post and not really interested in improving their product?
I think it did take a turn he wasn't expecting. He bailed. I don't blame him. He didn't really have a clean exit path.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
So a Tenmile with the THLR reticle?

I could that. While the Tenmile is definitely usable in the eyebox, etc departments, I wouldn’t say it’s amazing. However, if that scope has the THLR, it’d be on every rifle except the 223’s…. And maybe them as well b

SDHNTR

WKR
Man I’d love that 4-16 ATACR in a 30 mil tube!

IA1865

FNG
Sorry to revive a 9-month old thread, but is anyone aware of any updates on getting a scope like this put together? I would definitely hop in on a pre-purchase commitment to get a scope with the specs @Formidilosus outlined or a tenmile with the THLR reticle.

As an alternative, I wonder if there would be enough interest on this forum (could potentially cross-post on the hide, long range hunting forum, and LRO) to have someone like LOW do a private label run to spec?

THLR

Lil-Rokslider
Yes.
I expect to have a few glimpses shown in YouTube episode 358 (public end of month). That scope had a "cleaned" hunting version of reticle. Not sure when it'll be on the market. Scope specs? Hard to believe, but it didn't register with me. But it felt "right" the three days I used it (prototype).

Last edited:
Yes.
I expect to have a few glimpses shown in YouTube episode 358 (public end of month). That scope had a "cleaned" hunting version of reticle. Not sure when it'll be on the market. Scope specs? Hard to believe, but it didn't register with me. But it felt "right" the three days I used it (prototype).

You lost me, what YouTube show? What scope are you talking about? Tenmile?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk