Missouri Breaks Elk

Found out yesterday that my wife drew Montana 632 rifle elk tag. So I spent yesterday celebrating and pouting all at the same time. Now I am wondering if anyone knows these units at all. I plan on several scouting trips but any advise on where to start would be awesome.

wyosteve

WKR
Can't remember my units, but is 632 on the north or south side of the River/lake? If north side, I'll have a little info.

It's on the north side. Good unit. Where do you live?

I think the most beneficial thing you can do is not worry about finding elk right NOW. Rather, spend your time learning the road systems and find the areas that will offer security come October and November. Don't just focus on the breaks, but also the prairie coulees further north 5-10 miles away from the lake.

I hunted 631 a number of years ago during the archery season. We found elk everywhere from the lake to 20 miles north of it. Find secure areas and you'll likely find elk.

Don't let her set herself up for disappointment in thinking that there are 380-400 class bulls everywhere in the unit. Keep expectations reasonable and enjoy the opportunity to hunt a wonderful area.

OP
H
We live by Kalispell. Yeah the scouting trips are more to get to know the area. Thanks for the advice. Can't wait to explore it.

wyosteve

WKR
After you scout, if you have questions, let me know. A buddy of mine lives at Ft. Peck. He took his granddaughter to her first elk in there a few years ago and his wife last year. I've been in the area both from above and by water, but never hunted in there.

Hi Steve. I have a question about 632 as well. I have done some scouting and have that bull tag this year (2019). Do you mind if we chat? My friends future father in law owns the hotel at Ft. Peck and i am speaking with him as well. Also, talked with the biologist over there who has been great about info on elk numbers etc.

cgasner1

WKR
Heard that tag got a little harder after they quit shutting down the deer season in there which sucks now it’ll have a crazy amount of pressure all season good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Steve. I have a question about 632 as well. I have done some scouting and have that bull tag this year (2019). Do you mind if we chat? My friends future father in law owns the hotel at Ft. Peck and i am speaking with him as well. Also, talked with the biologist over there who has been great about info on elk numbers etc.

Matt we had the 621 rifle bull tag last year and had sort of a disappointing hunt. Saw elk and passed on bulls everyday but never saw a bull that broke over 300 in the two and a half weeks we were over there and we hunted pretty hard. We all filled our tags on some nice 5pts that were all 240-280 in score which was the typical average bull that we would see everyday.

My advice is to show up a few days early and try your best to pin the bull down you want to shoot opening morning and glass hard. We hunted all over the district and had the best of our luck down in the river bottoms, but really saw bulls all over the district. I felt like the breaks had way more pressure than the General district we hunt during the same timeframe. It was crazy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk