Mix/Make your own Permethrin Spray - SAVE MONEY

GotDraw?

WKR
All,

I found the info below on the web and am sharing it because I've used this method and it works. Saved me and my buddies a bunch of money and time/hassle instead of buying Sawyer spray.

One spray bottle of Sawyer's premixed .5% (1/2 of 1%) Permethrin Spray costs about $16-20, it will treat pants/jacket a few times and you'll run out.

OR- You can make you own for pennies per gallon.

Buy a bottle of Permethrin Concentrate on the internet or at your local feed store, agricultural/garden supply store for about $20 and then dilute it to mix your own soak or spray and create a life-time supply, literally gallons of spray or soak mix you can use or share with hunting buddies for a cost that will be well under $2 per gallon, so about 50 cents per quart vs. $16/quart of Sawyer spray. Literally, pennies per bottle.

Below are directions on how to mix Permethrin concentrate to properly dilute it based on two different levels of starting concentrate percentage. Make sure you start with the same level of concentrate so the ratios work out correctly. Or, if you don't have the same starting concentration percentage then you'll have to adjust the ratios to work properly:

Tick-proofing clothes using .5% permethrin
================================
After mixing, you will want to end up with a .5% permethrin solution for soaking or spraying your clothes. NOTE: that is "point five percent" (one half percent) NOT "five percent"! Also, don't be shocked by the solvent smell of the Permethrin when you spray it or soak your clothes in it because once it's dry it won't smell. BE CERTAIN TO ONLY SPRAY OR APPLY THIS OUTSIDE, THEN HANG YOUR CLOTHES TO DRY.

Recipes to make 1 gallon (or 4 liters) of .5% solution:
Using 36.8% permethrin starting concentrate:

Note: it may say "Permethrin SFR" on the bottle.
1 gallon = 4 quarts = 128 ounces
1 gallon water + 2 ounces 36.8% permethrin = 130 ounces of .51% concentration
NOTE COST approx $.85 per ounce of starting concentrate x 2 oz used to mix a gallon = $1.70 to create an entire Gallon of spray mix

If Metric:
4 liters water + 20 ml 36.8% permethrin = 4 liters of .5% permethrin (1/2%
concentration)
Using 10% permethrin starting concentrate:
1 gallon water + 6.75 oz 10% Permethrin = 124.75 oz at .5% concentration

Metric
4 liters water + 200 ml 10% permethrin = 4.2 liters at .5% concentration

COST of 10% concentrate is approximately $.75 per ounce x 6.75 oz used to make a gallon of spray = $5.06, to make a gallon of spray, so a little over $2 per quart of spray. Still much cheaper than Sawyer's spray

Link on where to buy concentrate and how to apply diluted product to clothes:
click this link: HOW TO BUY & APPLY PERMETHRIN

Instructions for use
Mix it up (as per the above recipes). Soak your clothes for two hours in a ziploc bag, a
plastic bin or a 5 gallon bucket. Your choice.
Wring out the clothes. Leave them wet but not dripping.
Hang them on the line and let them dry.
Laundry

General consensus is treatment will remain effective through 6 washings or 6 weeks. Hand washing is recommended. Machine washing and drying should be on the gentle settings. You can always re-apply the .5% permethrin after washing if you are in any
doubt. (Personally, I am always in doubt and re-treat mine every two weeks during tick season)

Cats and fish
Permethrin is toxic for cats and fish. So don't let your cats near it when it's wet (it can be
fatal for cats). Your clothes are SAFE once they're dry.

Storage
Do not pour out the leftover in a pond or near any waterway (it kills fish). If you can, just
let the extra evaporate or store it in a bottle or put it in a spray bottle for later use.
Sunlight deteriorates permethrin, so store the bottle in a dark place such as in a
cabinet.

Caution
Please read the cautions on the bottle and follow them. I am just describing what I did
for myself. Use your brains and make up your own mind what you want to do. Nuff
said.

Last edited:

calreef18

FNG
Great tip thanks for the info! I prefer permethrin vs. DEET based off the feel and scent or lack of. Question though, I have never used either while hunting. Do either of the chemicals give off a especially detectable scent to deer or other animals?

OP
GotDraw?

GotDraw?

WKR
@calreef18

Deet smells all the time and it is horrible to anything plastic or rubber, it will ruin it

Permethrin does not smell once it is dry on your clothes. Permethrin is only for clothes, not skin. Remember to tuck your pants into your socks so ticks can't crawl up under your pants. Looks geeky but works great.

JL

Hunt41

Lil-Rokslider
I plan on mixing my own this year as well. Thanks for the reminder!

ODB

WKR
Pyrethroids are physical parts and adhere to the material you are spraying, if you simply put a shirt in a bag, dump some in and squish it around, you might be wetting the material with the suspension liquid, but I don’t think you’ll be getting the active pyrethroids where they need to be. My understanding is that when you spray fabrics, even though the back side might be wet, very little of the pyrethroids passes through the fabric; it stays largely on the surface it is sprayed. My understanding is that commercial clothing treatments are done in vats (which is why they claim to last longer) not just putting in the minimum and letting the clothing “soak.”

Motown

WKR
Thanks for sharing! Sawyers has been a life saver for me and my family the past few years. There were times a few years ago that I would walk out with 10-20 ticks on me during archery season. I haven't found a single tick on me the past 3 years since I started using Permethrin.

Ddog

WKR
I'm definitely doing this after my Sawyer's stash is gone, I'll mix it up in gallon batches like described then use the Sawyer's bottle for applying it. I don't like the idea of sloshing it around in a bucket, etc., even with rubber gloves.

Is there any added ingredient in the Sawyer’s that makes it last longer or adhere better than this DIY mixture you mentioned?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been buying it from Tractor Supply for 3 or 4 years now and mixing it 20 to 1 to get the .5%. I mix it in a garden sprayer and have at my hiking-camping clothes. I've tested it myself with Ticks and the stuff really does work.

vectordawg

Lil-Rokslider
I've been doing this for years and have been tick free since I started. I spray the inside and outside of everything. Even my underwear! I buy concentrate from https://www.doyourownpestcontrol.com/. I have no affiliation with that company. It isn't necessary to mix it one gallon at a time. I believe it breaks down over time so I just mix a small bottle every spring and use as much as I want then mix a fresh bottle in the fall. It's not expensive so I don't feel bad if some gets wasted. It's worth it not to have to worry about getting bit by a Lone Star tick!

Finch

WKR
I've always been a fan of the repel brand in aerosol spray. Seems to cover better but I might give this a shot. Permethrin is definitely a life saver. I keep a lint roller in my truck too to keep from spreading ticks in there after coming from questionable areas.

Ticks are out of control but that stuff works. I wonder how hard ticks are on the deer herd? They have to be just covered in ticks in the summer time.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Ticks are out of control but that stuff works. I wonder how hard ticks are on the deer herd? They have to be just covered in ticks in the summer time.
Put a cape off of a deer in a plastic bag and freeze it. Then look at the hundreds or thousands of ticks that fall off once they're dead. It's enlightening.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

gilby

Lil-Rokslider
Been doing the homemade permethrin for the past 3yrs with Martin's permethrin. After multiple turkey hunts, spring hikes, foraging, and BWCA trips, I've only had ticks on untreated gear. My friends on these trips always end up pulling ticks off their clothes.

huntdoc

FNG
I use this as well. Picked up 20% horse spray at farm store and dilute to the 0.5% and spray clothes. Have not found tick since starting it couple years ago. Permethrin does have human applications, so should be safe.

LostArra

WKR
I really thought if there was any validity to cold temperatures affecting ticks then this season would be mild after a week of below zero. Nope! It's a myth. The ticks around here are already out in full force.

Permethrin works great. Which probably means it will be taken off the market although I've never seen PETA or HSUS lobbying for ticks.