Mk5 3.5-18x44 or ??

WesternHntr

Lil-Rokslider
I have an opportunity to pick up a Leupold Mk5 3.5-18 for $1250, I really want a 50mm objective but I'm thinking it's going to be hard finding a better scope in this price range. I'm open to other suggestions in ffp or sfp.
Primary objective is long range hunting and target shooting, I want rock solid true tracking but without the NF weight.
I'm also considering vx6hd 3-18x50 or 4-24x52, on the low end maybe the v4 6-24x50. These scopes might lend themselves better for hunting but I'm wary about tracking...
I'd appreciate any input.

marktole

WKR
I have one of these scopes. It’s one of my favorites. The turrets track good, the zero stop/lock is great, reticle is nice and crisp, process to zero the turrets is very easy, quality of the scope is overall fantastic, power adjustment turns smoothly with the throw lever, I could go on and on. I have it on a hunting rifle, comes in at like 8.5-9# or so. It’s a great combo.

i have owned and used several tactical style scopes. In my opinion, for the price (especially the price you said you could get it at), the weight of the scope, quality, and features, it’s hard to beat.

Out of all the scopes I have, the Leupold Mark 5 HD and a Leupold VX-6 HD 2-12x42 are my two favorites. If you don’t go with the Mark 5, the VX-6 HD is a really great scope as well. I have never had a problem with my VX-6 HD tracking either, if that helps out your mind to rest about that.

• Banned
OP
W

WesternHntr

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the feedback,
Did you find the eye box to be pretty forgiving on the mk5? You have the 3.6-18 not the 5-25 right..
I'm leaning hard towards the mk5, do you feel that the ffp reticle is a disadvantage for hunting? I've looked through a few ffp scopes but never in low light, not that I'll be timber hunting with it.
I like holding for wind, and for ease of tracking my shots I usually adjust magnification a lot, hence the ffp preference.

marktole

WKR
I have the 3.6-18x44, yes.

I will say that the eye box could be a tad more forgiving, but I just moved the scope back a little bit further than I normally might to get proper eye relief.

I personally do not feel that the FFP reticle is a disadvantage for hunting. I actually purposefully picked this scope because of the FFP. I know it has more of a tactical application than it does hunting, but I like plinking with the rifle at long range and being able to read a true mil scale with my reticle and make an adjustment from it is great.

Even if you zoom in to 18x, the reticle isn’t so enormously huge that it will hinder its use. At 3.6x the reticle is pretty small though. I wouldn’t say so small that you can’t see it in the event you shouldered the rifle quickly to shoot a deer at sub 150 yards. I usually cruise around the mountain with it on 6-8x because that’s a good happy medium of power, FOV, and reticle size to allow a quick acquisition and shot if need be.