Mk5HD worth the cost difference?

I am building a 7 rem mag rifle and have a mk5hd on backorder. Talking to Leupold the backorder will put the scope in my hands really close to my next hunt. I have a pst gen ii on another rifle and like it quite a bit, but have heard glowing reviews for the mk5 which is why I ordered it. I do shoot long range and hunt at ranges out to 600 yards which is why these are two of the scopes I've been looking at vs lighter options. So the big question I'm trying to answer is, is the mk5 worth significantly more money and waiting so long for?

I don't know how long you'll be waiting but yes the mk5 is a much better scope
If you're hunting to 600 yards im assuming you ordered the 3.6-18?
Its about the perfect long range hunting scope for inside of 900 yards in my opinion.

bttf

FNG
Did not have experiences with pst II, but the mk5 3.5-18 I had did not impress me. Just could not get clear image out of it no matter how I adjust it.

I am also building a mountain rifle, a 7 WSM. I'm hoping to get the mark 5 3-18. I love how compact and sturdy they are. Also, the glass is unbeatable. I'm still unsure how much I like the FFP as the crosshairs are really fine and almost undistinguishable at 3.6 power. My gunsmith is waiting for them to come back in stock. I know it'll be worth the wait when I can finally throw it on.

I lile them. I have 6 mk5's. There are other good options out there though. Although that pst wouldnt be my other choice... Not trying to bash it there's just others I would look at

OP
E
I don't know how long you'll be waiting but yes the mk5 is a much better scope
If you're hunting to 600 yards im assuming you ordered the 3.6-18?
Its about the perfect long range hunting scope for inside of 900 yards in my opinion.
Yeah, I went with the 3.6-18. I figured that was my best option for what I want to do. I've shot out to 1000 on steel with a 14x scope before so I know it's enough for my fun shooting as well as my hunting.

OP
E
I lile them. I have 6 mk5's. There are other good options out there though. Although that pst wouldnt be my other choice... Not trying to bash it there's just others I would look at
Thanks for the input, it's good to hear that people like them enough to have multiple. I know the market has a lot of options in that MSRP range, I just had a great experience with a pst and I can pick one up for less than half the price of the mk5hd. That's what had me questioning my decision.

I am also building a mountain rifle, a 7 WSM. I'm hoping to get the mark 5 3-18. I love how compact and sturdy they are. Also, the glass is unbeatable. I'm still unsure how much I like the FFP as the crosshairs are really fine and almost undistinguishable at 3.6 power. My gunsmith is waiting for them to come back in stock. I know it'll be worth the wait when I can finally throw it on.
Sounds like a great setup!
What are the specs on your 7 wsm?
I have one and its awesome with 195's
Sorry to the OP for derailing...

Mine has a ag composite alpine hunter stock, bartlein CF 1:8 26" barrel, and defiance tenacity action. Hawkins bottom metal and a triggertech primary. I am super excited about it. You nailed it, I'm gonna shoot the 195 berger vld hunter. So flat and fast!

Mine has a ag composite alpine hunter stock, bartlein CF 1:8 26" barrel, and defiance tenacity action. Hawkins bottom metal and a triggertech primary. I am super excited about it. You nailed it, I'm gonna shoot the 195 berger vld hunter. So flat and fast!
Rl26 is what you want for 195's
I got 2900 with a 22" barrel

FCCDerek

Lil-Rokslider
The MK5HD is a big step up over the PST gen 2. I've got a PST gen 2 5-25 and I've got 3 MK5HD's. No comparison there. I went with a MK5HD 3.6-18 on a custom built 280AI hunting rifle. It's a perfect rig for everything from whitetail to moose. It's sending a 180 Berger at 2860FPS. Not too shabby for a non magnum rifle.

IMG_5072.JPG

ChrisAU

WKR
The MK5HD is a big step up over the PST gen 2. I've got a PST gen 2 5-25 and I've got 3 MK5HD's. No comparison there. I went with a MK5HD 3.6-18 on a custom built 280AI hunting rifle. It's a perfect rig for everything from whitetail to moose. It's sending a 180 Berger at 2860FPS. Not too shabby for a non magnum rifle.

View attachment 287599

Which reticle are you using there? I absolutely adore the Mark 5, I've had a 3.6-18 and currently have a 5-25 on a 6.5 PRC. I hate rails and it just occurred to me last night i could get some TPS-W rings and mount a 3.6-18 on my Cooper 92 280 on the factory weaver bases. Little worried about getting an unilluminated model for hunting though.

FCCDerek

Lil-Rokslider
Which reticle are you using there? I absolutely adore the Mark 5, I've had a 3.6-18 and currently have a 5-25 on a 6.5 PRC. I hate rails and it just occurred to me last night i could get some TPS-W rings and mount a 3.6-18 on my Cooper 92 280 on the factory weaver bases. Little worried about getting an unilluminated model for hunting though.
I've got the PR1-MOA reticle on mine. It's not illuminated, and in my opinion its perfect for hunting.

LaHunter

WKR
I am building a 7 rem mag rifle and have a mk5hd on backorder. Talking to Leupold the backorder will put the scope in my hands really close to my next hunt. I have a pst gen ii on another rifle and like it quite a bit, but have heard glowing reviews for the mk5 which is why I ordered it. I do shoot long range and hunt at ranges out to 600 yards which is why these are two of the scopes I've been looking at vs lighter options. So the big question I'm trying to answer is, is the mk5 worth significantly more money and waiting so long for?
It sounds like a huge gamble to me. If I understand correctly, you will be waiting on the scope to start shooting your new build? I would get a quality / reliable scope on the rifle and start shooting / developing your load / verifying dope. What if the backordered scope doesn't arrive in time? What if you get a scope with issues and have to deal with that? What if you find there is an issue with your new rifle? I have seen some used Mk 5HDs for sale, maybe go that route? Beware of Murphy.

FCCDerek

Lil-Rokslider
I'm running Leupold high rings with it. With the 35mm main tube ya gotta run a bit higher rings. I like to have the sunshade on mine as well. I'm not sure if lower rings would have cleared or not. This is with 20moa bases as well. I like the setup. Lines up perfectly for me. But I did get a Triad Tactical cheek pad for it just for some extra comfort if I'm lined up for awhile.

Bearizona

FNG
Rl26 is what you want for 195's
I got 2900 with a 22" barrel
Hey man, sorry to bring up an old post but I recently started load development with 195s so I was using the search feature on here to find more information. I got great groups at with 60 gr RL-26 at about 2600 fps with a 24 inch 1-8.4 barrel 7mag. I was just curious how high you are able to go before seeing pressure?
Thanks, Randy

CP6

FNG
Absolutely. I’ve owned both models in a few mag/objs. The Leupold is hands down more durable, better clarity, and light transmission. I sold my last PST and bought another HD5 with the MRAD reticle (that is turning into my not so favorite hunting reticle, but that’s another story). Probably sell and switch to MilDot. That said, I’ve hunted and abused both scopes. One of the Vortex went back (turret issue) and another went back when it wouldn’t hold center. I don’t baby my gear, but don’t abuse it. Leupolds have never let me down or been in need of warranty work. Just my experience.