Mld duomid anyone running one

Considering one of these for a ultralight summer and early season shelter. Also do you think DCF is worth the extra cost for a small weight saving s

I haven’t used the DuoMid, but I have had 3 other MLD, DCF tarps/shelters. MLD does really good work and yes, I think that DCF is well worth it, for more reason’s than just the wt. savings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
F
W
I haven’t used the DuoMid, but I have 3 other MLD, DCF tarps/shelters. MLD does really good work and yes, I think that DCF is well worth it, for more reason’s than just the wt. savings.

What are the other perks of DCF in your opinion. Thanks

Stronger than sil, doesn’t stretch/sag when it gets wet, doesn’t hold water, and it doesn’t have near the condensation issues as sil.

OP
F
Stronger than sil, doesn’t stretch/sag when it gets wet, doesn’t hold water, and it doesn’t have near the condensation issues as sil.

10-4 thanks Nice sheep by the way. have a trip planned for 20/20 for dall sheep cant wait.

OP
F

Hey what mld shelters have you been running any favorite

I ran a DCF MLD and it was a solid and light setup. I've since gone to full tent setup, just due to me preferring full floor and enclosed area during high winds around snow and silt. I wouldn't hesitate to run one though, it's a bomber tipi.

Hey what mld shelters have you been running any favorite

I currently have a solo Patrol tarp and a Grace Duo tarp, but I also had a SoloMid that I replaced with a Locus Gear Hapi, because the Hapi is a fair amount larger for only about a 1 oz. wt. gain. I really liked the SoloMid and would highly recommend it, that said, so far I’m really liking the Patrol tarp, but I need to use it more to have a more experienced opinion.

bcimport

WKR
I’ve been running a duomid for the last 3 or 4 years. I’ve been really happy with it. It’s endured a lot of wind in the alpine that I was sure would shred it, snow, rain and wind. I haven’t felt the need to look for anything else.

OP
F
I’ve been running a duomid for the last 3 or 4 years. I’ve been really happy with it. It’s endured a lot of wind in the alpine that I was sure would shred it, snow, rain and wind. I haven’t felt the need to look for anything else.

DCF?

How is the DCF compared to sil for heat inside the tent under the sun?

That’s a good question. I’ve never used either one when it’s been above 50 or so degrees, so I can’t answer that. My initial guess is that sil would be warmer just based on the fact that pretty much all the sil shelters are dark colored as opposed to DCF being a much lighter colored fabric.

I had a Tyvek tent and it was night and day difference inside that tent when compared to a sil tent. The Tyvek was so much more comfortable to be in.

I do. I also think the sun penitrates the sil fabric as it is more translucent than the fabric composition of the Tyvek.

I ran a DCF MLD and it was a solid and light setup. I've since gone to full tent setup, just due to me preferring full floor and enclosed area during high winds around snow and silt. I wouldn't hesitate to run one though, it's a bomber tipi.

Snowcamoman's Duomid certainly is a solid and light set up. Its now mine and my 'go to' mountain hunting shelter. I use it with the MLD solo mesh inner for bug protection in early season. I sold the Bearpaw Inner that Snow had custom made. It condensated way too much on the interior fabric of such a small area. The mesh has been more than adequate on the MLD inner. I have a Borah Bivy that weighs around 5 oz for use when there are less mosquitos.

Attachments

• B_Reynolds_Sheep19-162.jpg
    B_Reynolds_Sheep19-162.jpg
    759.2 KB · Views: 90
  • B_Reynolds_Sheep19-405.jpg
    B_Reynolds_Sheep19-405.jpg
    386.5 KB · Views: 87
Seems I have a very similar gear setup to B_Reynolds. Duomid has been a good shelter for me thus far.

The Hapi or Khufu are lighter options. Only real drawbacks are that the specs indicate they’d have a little less head/foot space and you get a beefier #7 zipper on new duomids vs #3 on locus gear. The “2 person” locus dcf mids are notably more expensive if buying new too. I have had a hankering for a cuben tarptent aeon or stratospire. I think I’ve concluded I want more vestibule space than the aeon offers. A duomid with solo inner has about the right amount of space to get all your gear in the tent without being too tidy about it. A stratospire li would actually be lighter than duo+solo inner and have a more comfortable space IMO but possibly give up some wind resistance and ease of pitch.

e341a0cc60368233152b73bad217e1cb.jpg
d5547f4fc8c4f78e0180d7746e9b8332.jpg