Mld duomid anyone running one

Ultamid 2 seem like a nice shelter. Definitely a step up from duomid if someone thinks they’ll ever use it with 2 people because of the extra space and door orientation.

Compared to a duomid they are a couple ounces heavier, at least a couple hundred $ more expensive, and the inner nets are heavier and supposedly more work to set up.

For someone who wants more space, might use with 2 people, and doesn’t want an inner net, they seem like a great choice.

I've been running a DCF duomid for the past several months. My goal was to find the lightest 2-man tent for a bivy-style elk hunt I could get for when my wife and I go together. I'm sitting right at 22.9 oz including the guy lines, stakes, and stuff sack.

It's definitely a very tight fit with both of us and our backpacks, but it is doable and I was expecting it to be a tight fit anyways. I absolutely love it as a solo shelter though, plenty of room. My only complaint is that the zipper is located on the long side of the tent, which means that one person will have to crawl over the other to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night. The HMG Ulta-Mid 2 and the Locus Hapi have the zipper located on the short side of the tent which would resolve this problem. The only reason I went with the Duomid over the Ulta-Mid was the price difference was just too big for me to justify the HMG.

Overall I love this shelter.

I think the Hapi, at least for my needs, checks all the boxes. It was a little more expensive than the Duo (I think I paid a little over $500 for it), it’s right around the same size but a little lighter, and it has the door orientation that I wanted. It has plenty of room for two with a little gear or one and all your gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
F
What is your guys thoughts on the new seek outside Silex in DCF comparing it to a duomid

What is your guys thoughts on the new seek outside Silex in DCF comparing it to a duomid

Never used a silex or seen one in person but they look pretty sweet. My thoughts based strictly on specs and online pictures for use as a solo shelter:

Silex Pro's
- Fly is 3ish oz lighter
- Dual pole and sleeping layout looks to provide more usable space and make it less likely for user to brush against head/foot ends or sides

Duomid Pro's
-Only one support pole - if keeping camp up you can use one trekking pole to keep your shelter up and still have one for use
- solo nest (if you want to use one) is 6-7 oz lighter
- Mildly cheaper (Fly: $19, nest $24)

Unknown:

Ease of Pitch - Mid's are easy but getting a DCF one just right isn't thoughtless like a freestanding tent. A rectangle with one pole seems like it'd be easier than a diamond with two. I can see how silex could get finicky when tensioning your peak guy also impacts the tension at the corner of your fly. I'd guess duo wins here but don't know that.

Weather protection - Duomid is a known performer in wind and snow and has more mid panel/seam guy outs. Silex looks like it'd do pretty darn well in wind and might catch a little more snow. I'd guess a duo is more bomber but silex doesn't seem like a slouch at all.

Silex lineloc dealies - without using I can't say if I think it's an upgrade or downgrade from a zipper, not taking into account the weight savings.