Mn bear

Hey guys I should draw a tag this year in minnesota for black bear. Is there anything I should be doing now to prepare I have an area kinda picked out on public and I have a land owner asking me to come take a bear off her property if I get a chance.

kpk

WKR
#1 - Invest in a thermacell. Bugs in MN bear country (depending where you're at) can be absolutely terrible.

OP
skyler_2010
#1 - Invest in a thermacell. Bugs in MN bear country (depending where you're at) can be absolutely terrible.

That's definitely taken care of. I love my thermacells. We do a lot of camping and just hanging out in the great outdoors and it is getting to the point it may be cheaper for me to buy stock in the company.

frankrb3

WKR
Film it, or take pictures and then be sure to post them here is you're successful. Congratulations if you get your tag and good luck.

jeffpg

WKR
Good luck!

Can a nonresident draw the bear tag?

I'm a Mississippi resident currently working in the twin cities area of Minnesota for a few weeks. I have my bow with me and I'm looking for turkey hunting property near here and in Wisconsin.

It's my first time up here and I'm really liking the countryside!

StrutNut

Lil-Rokslider
It has been a while but I have taken several bear here in MN. During the fall they key on berries and acorns. We honestly had terrible luck with meat scraps as all it does is attract maggots and it seems that in most years they just leave it alone. If the acorns or berries fail they are a little more desperate for food. We had very good luck with honey burns especially if there is a swamp downwind. Donuts and grease are superb attractants as well. Another thing to get a bunch of is apples and they are easy to get as anyone with trees would love to get the bad ones off the ground. We made grease pits in front of the food pit so the bears make their own scent line out. They do love that KFC grease! We would also spread it all over the trees to get the area nice and stinky. We would also make our own frosting with bulk powdered sugar and water we find nearby to really get things smelling sweat. Lastly make sure you can sit long periods without moving. In MN there will be a lot of birds hitting your bait and you want that. It brings in the bears. When you move they spook so you want to get comfy as you can. Our success was best from 3:00pm to end of shooting time.

OP
skyler_2010
It has been a while but I have taken several bear here in MN. During the fall they key on berries and acorns. We honestly had terrible luck with meat scraps as all it does is attract maggots and it seems that in most years they just leave it alone. If the acorns or berries fail they are a little more desperate for food. We had very good luck with honey burns especially if there is a swamp downwind. Donuts and grease are superb attractants as well. Another thing to get a bunch of is apples and they are easy to get as anyone with trees would love to get the bad ones off the ground. We made grease pits in front of the food pit so the bears make their own scent line out. They do love that KFC grease! We would also spread it all over the trees to get the area nice and stinky. We would also make our own frosting with bulk powdered sugar and water we find nearby to really get things smelling sweat. Lastly make sure you can sit long periods without moving. In MN there will be a lot of birds hitting your bait and you want that. It brings in the bears. When you move they spook so you want to get comfy as you can. Our success was best from 3:00pm to end of shooting time.

Thank you very much I will definitely keep all of this in mind. I have also seen people use popcorn covered in 1:1:1 water sugar and kool-aid. My little brother works at the local theater and he said he would get me as much as he can. My dad also owns a bar and he said he would save me all of his fryer grease as well.

OP
skyler_2010
Good luck!

I'm a Mississippi resident currently working in the twin cities area of Minnesota for a few weeks. I have my bow with me and I'm looking for turkey hunting property near here and in Wisconsin.

Yes nonresident can but it takes a few years as far as I know. But I am new to bear hunting myself

Scottyboy

WKR
Good luck!

If I'm not mistaken, as a NR you can get one of our "no quota" tags which are OTC. The gotcha is, the majority of the land in the no quota zone is private..so you would have to call around to the few outfits that operate on the no quota zone.