MN FNG

mnwanders

FNG
Hey everyone. Newbie from MN. Actually been a member for a while but just now spending some time looking through the posts. I'm a relatively old guy who is a relatively new hunter. Started about 5 years ago and haven't really stopped thinking about hunting since the day I started. I love it all. Thanks for sharing your wisdom.

Scottyboy

WKR
Welcome from west central..

@VernAK couldn’t agree more. The moose are taking a hit as well. Granted it’s more noticeable with minuscule population, between them and the population that can hunt them...things are not doing all that well up north.

OP
M

mnwanders

FNG
Left there 51 years ago but still have a deer camp up North. Sure wish there were some deer up there. Wolves!
You come back from Alaska to deer camp in MN?! Seems backwards, and I gotta believe you have way more wolves in Alaska. But I can't say I disagree about the impact on deer. My brother-in-law moved from MN to IA and he does not miss Mn deer hunting. There is a lot more opportunity in Iowa for sure.

03mossy

WKR
Left there 51 years ago but still have a deer camp up North. Sure wish there were some deer up there. Wolves!

Unfortunately that is spot on. Have a lease north of Cloquet and over the past 3-4 years we get more pics of wolves on camera than deer. Frustrating!

VernAK

WKR
You come back from Alaska to deer camp in MN?! Seems backwards, and I gotta believe you have way more wolves in Alaska. But I can't say I disagree about the impact on deer. My brother-in-law moved from MN to IA and he does not miss Mn deer hunting. There is a lot more opportunity in Iowa for sure.

My usual fall hunting ends in Alaska by mid-October and I'd then drive to MN for deer and then SD for pheasants
but the MN deer [up North] is about a waste of time so I visit family and friends and move on.

Alaska does have wolves and lots of em but not near the density that Northern Minnesota does. AND, we can shoot or trap em in Alaska.