Mn zone 451

Mn added a new zone this year with unlimited tags. Looking at the location of the southern part of the zone it looks like access might be a bear, no pun intended, anyone have any info about this area and how an out of town bear hunter might be welcomed?

Scottyboy

WKR
I haven’t looked that close at it yet, if it’s anything like the other no quota zones you will not find public land to hunt, and good luck getting on private 😔

OP
skyler_2010
I haven’t looked that close at it yet, if it’s anything like the other no quota zones you will not find public land to hunt, and good luck getting on private 😔
I was afraid of that. I found one area that I feel would look good and it is owned by a company but I can't find contact info.

WCB

WKR
There are Bears all over that area...there are some smaller public spots in that zone that you could hunt. You don't need miles and miles of public land. I personally know a few guys in no quote areas most people have no clue there are even bears around. They are killing them on small public spots almost in farm country every year. I think you would need to scout the crap out of it, but could do pretty good.

OP
skyler_2010
There are Bears all over that area...there are some smaller public spots in that zone that you could hunt. You don't need miles and miles of public land. I personally know a few guys in no quote areas most people have no clue there are even bears around. They are killing them on small public spots almost in farm country every year. I think you would need to scout the crap out of it, but could do pretty good.
Thank you! I am having a hard time getting land owner info. I don't have onyx right now and have been using the county gis but it's all pdf. Is there a better way?

WCB

WKR
I would honestly...check out the public spots first. Just go off the map on the DNR website to walk you into a spot....then open a second screen of google earth for better imagery. You may have to flip back and forth a bit but you will get an idea.

As for landowner information. ONX or a similar app would be ideal just for sake of not having so much open at once. Just to clarify...are you using an online interactive county GIS?

OP
skyler_2010
I would honestly...check out the public spots first. Just go off the map on the DNR website to walk you into a spot....then open a second screen of google earth for better imagery. You may have to flip back and forth a bit but you will get an idea.

As for landowner information. ONX or a similar app would be ideal just for sake of not having so much open at once. Just to clarify...are you using an online interactive county GIS?
I can't find an interactive gis for that county all I have been able to pull up is a PDF of a platt. Thanks for the DNR website tip I'll check that out. I am still very new to looking for areas to hunt. Where I am at I can almost walk to a lot of decent hunting areas so going hours away from home for the first time is kind of intimidating

Scottyboy

WKR

Any idea how accessible those small chunks are? (Yes, I’m too lazy to look). But in general. My concern would be if there was public land that was accessible it would be filled with people the last 1.5hrs of the day with basically no chance as again, baiting comes into play. I’ve hunted no quota and will do so again, but I’m holding out a year or so until I can draw up north on the border

OP
skyler_2010
I talked to a biologist in that area today and he said that the small chunks of public don't hold bear all year and that this area should be treated as a no quota area. This is more of a let's get some statistics in this area and bring the bear population down. He basically said if you aren't going to put in the work and knock on doors and find private land that has nuisance bears then you would be better off checking the box during your application process that you are willing to take care of a nuisance bear and they can call you to take care of one

Scottyboy

WKR
I talked to a biologist in that area today and he said that the small chunks of public don't hold bear all year and that this area should be treated as a no quota area. This is more of a let's get some statistics in this area and bring the bear population down. He basically said if you aren't going to put in the work and knock on doors and find private land that has nuisance bears then you would be better off checking the box during your application process that you are willing to take care of a nuisance bear and they can call you to take care of one

I assumed that was the case, I think with 3 points I should draw this year with where I’m thinking of applying. There are a few decent outfits in the no quota zone if you don’t mind forking over ~$1k+

WCB

WKR
Any idea how accessible those small chunks are? (Yes, I’m too lazy to look). But in general. My concern would be if there was public land that was accessible it would be filled with people the last 1.5hrs of the day with basically no chance as again, baiting comes into play. I’ve hunted no quota and will do so again, but I’m holding out a year or so until I can draw up north on the border

They are accessible meaning you CAN get to them some may take a bit more work than others but those would probably be the better ones anyways. You won't be able to take 4 wheelers up logging roads and dump bait off...it may take some work. Until deer season opens I wouldn't expect too many people in those spots.

I'm sure bears move in and out of areas like anywhere else. But sounds like checking the box for nuisance Bears may get you access to private land. I'll admit it is not going to be as easy as some of the draw areas up north with tons of public....but it is do able. Like I said before I know a few guys that kill them in areas I couldn't believe there were bears to hunt and they do it pretty much every year.

workethic

FNG
Mn added a new zone this year with unlimited tags. Looking at the location of the southern part of the zone it looks like access might be a bear, no pun intended, anyone have any info about this area and how an out of town bear hunter might be welcomed?

If i were you I would avoid hunting this area unless you know where a bear is already. even with access to private land you there likely not be a good amount of bear. Look to chengwatana state forest, general andrews state forest or St. Croix state forest if you want to hunt an area that holds bear in a no quota area. Keep in mind it gets hit rather hard and you will need to work hard for your bear. Also, the bugs are horrendous because these places have a lot of water. Bring your muck boots. Pine city, hinckley, sandstone area.