MOB vs Boned Meat

Voyageur

WKR
One thing that was alluded to, but not directly addressed in a similar thread in the moose forum is the difference in game bag requirements between an area that mandates meat be left on the bone vs. areas that allow you to bone the meat out in the field. I bring this up because I have always hunted in areas that allow me to bone the meat, but there is a possibility that my pilot will drop me in a unit next fall where I'm required to leave the meat on the bone while in the field. As I consider this possibility I realize I will need larger game bags to accommodate the bone in quarters. I'm also considering bringing a small roll-up plastic sled to skid the quarters back to the runway. I'm curious to hear what others with more experience than me have to say about this.......
Thanks.

I use the larger TAG bags for moose, I have to have meat on the bone in my unit as well. Bring a big crappy game bag for the ribs, I had sharp rib ends shred up a few of my good TAG bags in the past, that sucked. I use 7-8 game bags total, 4 large for the quarters (cut off at the knee) with two BOMB bags for the neck meat/straps/loins/etc. I try to get both ribs in one big crappy bag but sometimes just use 2. I'm not a fan of the sleds after watching a friend struggle with one over the years, I find it less of a headache to just strap it on my back and go.

AKDoc

WKR
All the moose that I have taken over the years have been units with requirements for bone-in for the quarters, but ok for boned-out with the ribs.

I've humped my fair-share of moose back to camp on my back over the years, but for the last five years I've added a roll-up sled to my gear, which I have used each year now...and I greatly prefer it! I still have my back-pack if the land-scape precludes using the sled (watery marshes, significant up/down climbs/descents, etc.), but otherwise the sled is the way to go for me in the area where I primary hunt moose. I'll even zig-zag my way over the tundra back to camp with the sled instead of straight-lining it to camp on my back! There is a bit of a learning curve when using a sled and the sled does add weight to the gear list, but like my pilot said five years ago when we were loading, "This is the smartest thing I've loaded into the plane this year."

You mentioned bags, so I'll share what I do...seven big 60x28 bags for the quarters and pieces/parts (I like three of those bags for pieces/parts so they don't get too crazy big to move and hang), and then appropriately sized individual smaller bags each for the heart, tenderloins, liver, and back-strap. For the big bags I only use TAG bags these days, which saves me some weight/bulk, and they are damned good and tough.

Last edited:
OP
Voyageur

Voyageur

WKR
I appreciate both of the replies. I maybe should have mentioned that my days of muscling mammoth loads on my back are a thing of the past. As I gain more experience and wisdom (get older!) I now limit my pack weight to 40-50 lbs. Obviously a moose quarter far surpasses that limit, hence the thought of bringing a sled.
@AKDoc would you be so kind as to share the make of the sled you are making use of?
Again, thanks for the replies.

OP
Voyageur

Voyageur

WKR
Another question
Trying to figure out what will work of the bags I currently own....will a 28"X50" bag fit a moose quarter? How about moose ribs?
Thanks

Wapiti1

WKR
Another question
Trying to figure out what will work of the bags I currently own....will a 28"X50" bag fit a moose quarter? How about moose ribs?
Thanks
Yes 28X50 will fit the quarters. Might have to split the ribs in the middle to fit them. One rib panel has a lot of area to it.

Deer Sleigh'r sled is what I have used for elk and deer. Get a shoulder/waist harness, or figure out how to attach it to your pack when dragging. Way better than using your arms IMO. That way you free up your arms to use trekking poles and help out your legs. Rolls up pretty small and weighs about 5 pounds.

Jeremy

mcseal2

WKR
We packed ours on our backs. If you have to go that route make sure your straps are long enough. My buddy’s Eberlestock mainframe straps would barely go around a front quarter and would not go around rib slabs. My Kifaru Nomad 2 worked well. The sled would not have worked well in the swamp we were in.

AKDoc

WKR
I appreciate both of the replies. I maybe should have mentioned that my days of muscling mammoth loads on my back are a thing of the past. As I gain more experience and wisdom (get older!) I now limit my pack weight to 40-50 lbs. Obviously a moose quarter far surpasses that limit, hence the thought of bringing a sled.
@AKDoc would you be so kind as to share the make of the sled you are making use of?
Again, thanks for the replies.

Yes 28X50 will fit the quarters. Might have to split the ribs in the middle to fit them. One rib panel has a lot of area to it.

Deer Sleigh'r sled is what I have used for elk and deer. Get a shoulder/waist harness, or figure out how to attach it to your pack when dragging. Way better than using your arms IMO. That way you free up your arms to use trekking poles and help out your legs. Rolls up pretty small and weighs about 5 pounds.

Jeremy
I have the same sled, but in the magnum version. It's a bit heavier and actually a wee bit longer than needed, so you can trim it back if desired. Ditto on the shoulder/waist harness (I just got one and used it this year), or figure a way to use your pack as a hitching/pulling point. Pulling with your arms behind you is not the way to go with this...I did that/stopped that early on. Shaping the front of the sled to be as narrow as possible when attaching the pull rope to the meat bag and securing the load, as well as tying the right length of pull rope to help elevate the front a bit while pulling are all parts of the learning curve. It sounds more involved than it really is...it's a doable process and a back-saver in appropriate landscape.

I hear you voyaguer on the getting older (maybe wiser) part...I just turned 68 last week!

OP
Voyageur

Voyageur

WKR
Bringing up an old thread....
@AKDoc you use the Magnum size deersleigh'r sled. Near as I can tell that measures 3'X6' and weighs 4#.
In your opinion would the standard size deersleigh'r work for bone in moose quarters? It measures 2'X6' and weighs 3#.
Here is another option that is on my short list:

Thanks.

AKDoc

WKR
Bringing up an old thread....
@AKDoc you use the Magnum size deersleigh'r sled. Near as I can tell that measures 3'X6' and weighs 4#.
In your opinion would the standard size deersleigh'r work for bone in moose quarters? It measures 2'X6' and weighs 3#.
Here is another option that is on my short list:

Thanks.
It's a good question...there are pros/cons to both. I actually think that something between the two would be perfect, i.e., 30" wide.

I'm using TAG BAGS 28"x60". The front quarters certainly don't take the full width of that bag...the hinds pretty much do at the base. The pieces and parts bags (usually two) definitely utilize the full width of the game bag, and are my widest loads to pull. The width of the magnum gives me some "side-board" when I rig it all up for the pull, but it is still wider than needed. The standard would seem to be a tight fit, but likely could be adapted to work?

The alternative you posted looks interesting. You'll be pulling your loads over tundra with very few, if any, rocks to shred that material, so that's a positive. Zig-zagging your way through the tussocks and around wet areas are the major obstacles. Hint: Areas where the tundra is white are usually dryer!

Some Supercub transporters require meet off bone.

We hunt primarily by boat and prefer meat on bone, use the TAG 6-pack 28" X 60" bags.

A sled in some country helps...especially shooting a bull in shallow water.
moose_rifle.JPG
This year I transported the moose to the boats while my 2 partners
worked in the dark on the bull...much easier than a backpack in our area.

A brush lopper makes quick work of the rib slabs and is handy for cutting a clear path
to sled quarters directly to the boat: