Mobility

I feel that mobility is something I have always neglected and can be huge in preventing injuries and pain in the back country. I recently tweaked my lower back (possibly tendon between spine and hips) just doing a warm up with deep back squats and I think it might stem from how my mobility has decreased.

I'm curious if anyone has some intentional programs or stretches that they do to improve their mobility?

jmez

WKR
None specific but I usually spend 20 minutes every day stretching shoulders, back and legs prior to a dynamic warm up before working out.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

TripleJ

WKR
The older I get, the more I need. I spend extra time every morning at the gym getting warm and doing banded mobility drills, especially with my shoulders. I also do a lot of rolling out and lacrosse ball work when I get home at night.

chasewild

WKR
Dealing with a back problem right now as well. Not sure what it is yet, but this one is thoracic region.

For the two herniated disks I have in my lower back, the main program is strength and mobility. I also run ultras, and for me, I think the ticket is going to be ....wait for it.....Pilates.

Up till now, I did kettle bell workouts, run, then stretch, and etc. But I think Pilates has everything.

And, the older I get, the more intentional i have to be about staying flexible and extending the range of motion my muscles have.

I feel that mobility is something I have always neglected and can be huge in preventing injuries and pain in the back country. I recently tweaked my lower back (possibly tendon between spine and hips) just doing a warm up with deep back squats and I think it might stem from how my mobility has decreased.

I'm curious if anyone has some intentional programs or stretches that they do to improve their mobility?

For me, the biggest mobility issues with deep back squats start with the hips. I sit at a desk all day and get super tight hip flexors if I don't do the couch stretch (google it) regularly. If my hip flexors are too tight, they tend to pull me forward coming out of my squat, and I end up fighting the forward pull with my lower back.

For actual lower back mobility, I take two lacrosse balls taped together with masking tape and lay on them, back down. Roll up and down on them, smashing the back muscles on each side of your spine simultaneously.

Poser

WKR
My experience with injuries during squat warmups can all be distilled down to not respecting the lighter warm up weight and therefore not properly employing the valsalva technique to protect the spine.
The best warm up or mobility drill for squatting is actually squatting.

*zap*

WKR
Very deep squat is a great exercise....as deep as possible with proper form will give you the most benefits from the squat.

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

Usually from an athletic point of view you're supposed to start with a dynamic warm up to get the blood flowing in the muscles. The initial warm up will loosen your muscles to make them more flexible. It will also get your blood flowing and enlarges your blood vessels. This also brings oxygen into the muscles allowing more power out put. It will also help prevent possibility of cramps and range of motion. That being said I would start with a dynamic warm up for 10-15 minutes and then stretch for 10-15 minutes before every workout. Not only will it help with weight lose, but you will notice a huge difference in you workouts during and after.

Rob5589

WKR
As "hippy" as it may sound, yoga is fantastic for mobility and flexibility. The closer I got to 50, the more I felt back pain and the overall lack of flexibility. Doing yoga 3-5 times a week has virtually eliminated my back pain and has significantly increased my flexibility. I really noticed it with my golf swing, but I still suck.

fiskeri1

Lil-Rokslider
Took my first yoga class at the age of 44 when my lower back was starting to become a problem. It cleared up all my symptoms within 2 weeks and I recommend that anyone with these issues should at least try it.

cjp584

FNG
Took my first yoga class at the age of 44 when my lower back was starting to become a problem. It cleared up all my symptoms within 2 weeks and I recommend that anyone with these issues should at least try it.
Which kind of yoga did you start doing? I've been looking at dropping into a class since they're free at my gym.

fiskeri1

Lil-Rokslider
Which kind of yoga did you start doing? I've been looking at dropping into a class since they're free at my gym.
I practice at Corepower. So a pretty vigorous vinyasa style (ie lots of movement). I also mix in some yin style which is more static stretching.

ChrisS

WKR
Defrancos video is great, thanks!

Chris S, what do you do for your shoulders?
This is my general warm-up and I try to do a couple throughout the day as well. I get some funny looks standing in my office doing arm circles. I took out the rolling from the Limber 11 series and do that separately in the evening to fit these into my gym hour. I workout first thing in the morning and since I'm in my 40s, I take warming up a little more seriously these days. Sometimes it takes a little longer, but usually 30 seconds each stretch, each arm.

1) arm circles forward and back, little and big
2) Doorway chest stretch
3) Wall bicep stretch
4) Towel stretch
5) Rotator stretch

Last edited:
With a desk job I try to sit in a deep squat for a few minutes whenever I get a chance. A PT on Instagram I follow has a stretch he calls the world's greatest stretch...or something like that...thats pretty good. Look him up at Squat University.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk