mock scrapes

MannyB716

FNG
how many people run em? What items; pee, licking branches, beads do you use? Stand location in relation? Let's just talk mocks and techniques.

Use them all the time. Just finished some up yesterday. A well placed mock strap is actually just starting a legit scrap bc the deer will take it over.

Locations:
-Within 10 yds of mineral sites, close to trail
-Edge of food plot
-Within 5 yds of an existing scrap (causes deer to become a little competitive and return to that area)

Setup:
-Clean 4 foot diameter to bare ground
-Generally attach a bare licking branch above the scrap with cordage. I've found that the existing branch above the scrap doesn't really get much attention. Since adding the separate branch directly over the scrap, more deer see it as a legit scarp. IDK why.
-I'll only pee in the scrap if the ground is very dry. If the ground is moist already, I do not pee in it. I NEVER use store bought scents of any type.

Just my thoughts and strategy. Anyone do something different? I'd be more than willing to try.

D.Blake

Lil-Rokslider
x2 on WannabeHunters comment about deer taking over scrapes. I have had spots where the bush hog bottomed out on a brushy field edge that bucks have turned into scrapes. I think of mocks more as a "starter kit" that another buck will typically inherit. I will make a few and see which ones become routine stops for bucks. Sure I ill throw a little pee on them here and there but you cant beat the real deal, and bucks will definitely take interest.

D.Rose

Lil-Rokslider
I use the vines like Jeff Sturgis on Whitetail Habitat Solutions uses for all his scrapes. They work fantastic. As for placement of the scrapes I will find the first flat opening on brushy ridges I think the bucks are bedding on. I like to keep them as close to a bucks bedding area as I can without feeling like I am pressuring the deer when I go in.

I will also transplant vines. I'll take a vine to a known area where I know deer will work it heavily. After a month or so I will take that same vine to a totally different area miles away and transplant it in a place I'm trying to target a specific buck. The foreign deer scent on the vine sparks heavy interest and I have bucks frequent the scrape more often than if I had just made an original mock scrape in that spot.

D.Rose

Lil-Rokslider
Also I hunt low deer density areas so when I move a vine that's been worked heavy in another area to a place with fewer deer, when a mature buck finds the scrape with so many foreign deer smells it seems to hold him in the area for a longer period...

Last edited:
OP
M

MannyB716

FNG
I follow his page some of the best info available for free in my opinion.

I use the vines like Jeff Sturgis on Whitetail Habitat Solutions uses for all his scrapes. They work fantastic. As for placement of the scrapes I will find the first flat opening on brushy ridges I think the bucks are bedding on. I like to keep them as close to a bucks bedding area as I can without feeling like I am pressuring the deer when I go in.

I will also transplant vines. I'll take a vine to a known area where I know deer will work it heavily. After a month or so I will take that same vine to a totally different area miles away and transplant it in a place I'm trying to target a specific buck. The foreign deer scent on the vine sparks heavy interest and I have bucks frequent the scrape more often than if I had just made an original mock scrape in that spot.

OP
M

MannyB716

FNG
I myself like to run them directly on existing trails and like said above I've found great success starting them and deer taking them over or making one extremely close in a scrape line.

Also I hunt low deer density areas so when I move a vine that's been worked heavy in another area to a place with fewer deer, when a mature buck finds the scrape with so many foreign deer smells it seems to hold him in the area for a longer period...

This is interesting. Never thought about moving an existing licking branch to a new location.

Moving that licking branch is an excellent idea. @D.Rose do you put another licking vine above the first scrape you took the licking branch from? Or since it is an established scrape do you not worry about it much?

D.Rose

Lil-Rokslider
Yes I have established mock scrapes in the places I put my foreign vines. I try to time it perfect and usually will put the foreign vines in place around halloween. I want to be able to hunt the vine quite a bit the next week after I set it. I will also watch for good weather conditions and maximize my opportunity. I try to get as many factors in my favor as I can when I set a place up like that. Then I plan to hunt at it or around it the next week. I wont set over the scrape hunt after hunt. The new vine with foreign deer scent on it will do a better job of holding a buck in that specific area so I will hop around a smaller section and try to hunt him down that way. If you have a bucks core area nailed down this is a fantastic way to get him out in daylight.

I can’t stress enough the importance of the perfect position and set ups for these vines. These have to be in good security cover in places deer feel comfortable already. I critique my vine sets ups year after year. Mostly during my post season scouting. It’s just easier to find core areas and places bucks actually live. It’s not impossible to do this time of year but it’s pretty tough. I’m constantly scouting and looking for new set ups like I described. Just try to get your initial scrapes established a month ahead of prime time and you will be fine. Also if you have low deer issues like I have you can make mock scrapes in parks or wherever you find good populations of deer. People may think you’re stupid but hey whatever works. I have spots where their soul purpose is just to scent up vines for me to transplant in new areas if I need them. It may not work in everyones area but I would most definitely give it a try!

D.Rose

Lil-Rokslider
I will also use rubber gloves and bag up deer droppings in ziploc bags from different areas and put the in the scrapes to make them look and smell more realistic...

pjh360

FNG
After watching a couple of Sturgis videos I set up 2 in my back yard. Had deer working them a couple hours later. Never thought about “transplanting” them...