Modding pack sewing technique

Hey guys, I have a FILBE pack on a MR NICE frame that I want/need to modify just a little. Mainly moving and adding some straps for compression and a couple of attach point buckles.
I don’t THINK I need a sewing machine for this stuff and I don’t necessarily want to invest in that for a one or two time use.
What hand stitch technique would be best to sew the web straps onto the pack?
What kind of thread should I use as well?
Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

go_deep

WKR
I'm no expert here, but I just went to hobby lobby and told a gal there what exactly I wanted to do. She pointed out the needles and thread i needed and I bought them. I've made Gun bearers with webbing and a couple other random things.
Big needles, heavy thread.

nodakian

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I can’t help with technique as I strictly use a machine, but at a minimum you’ll want size 69 nylon or polyester thread. If you’re hand stitching, you could move up to size 92. Just depends on how many stitches you want to make.

OP
Haulinbass02
This is my dilemma because I know it needs to be strong since the compression straps will be used to help utilize the shelf on the pack to carry gun/meat etc. The compression straps will be holding the pack to the frame. So heavier thread should be better and proper sewing pattern to make it hold.

nodakian

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
This is my dilemma because I know it needs to be strong since the compression straps will be used to help utilize the shelf on the pack to carry gun/meat etc. The compression straps will be holding the pack to the frame. So heavier thread should be better and proper sewing pattern to make it hold.

Do you have an upholsterer within reasonable distance? They would have a suitable machine and would probably help you for cheap.

peterk123

WKR
I have used the speedy stitcher a lot. That thing makes some incredibly strong seams. We have used them for sail repair on a catamaran, as an example. It is slow and tedious, but man it works.

jingalls

Lil-Rokslider
hereinaz good call! I was reading this thread thinking the guy needs a sewing awl. Been using one of those for 30+ years. You can see anything with that tool!!!

These are sold under lots of brand names - even Harbor Freight sells 'em. The thread that came with mine wasn't the best, but I bought a variety pack of different colors that has more wax in it and works much better. I used one to sew numerous tears in the vinyl of an older popup camper. Worked fabulously.

AM.

jAKe0711

Lil-Rokslider
There may be an alteration shop that would be able to do it for fairly cheap. If you live near any military base there are normally alteration/sew shops that can do it cheap

I've made loads of modifications to things by hand over the years.

All I ever see is people advocating cordage, massive needles, sailmakers palms.

Elk droppings.

Everything I've done has been with embroidery crewels and upholstery thread. (pretty much 69# thread.)
It's easier with thinner needles and normal thread. A pair of needle nose pliers to get through built up areas.

And some of it has seen steady use for 20 years. It's still holding up just fine.

djlr55

WKR
If you are concerned about it holding weight use this formula to calculate the breaking strength:

The number of stitches per inch times the strength of your thread times the ratio 1.5 (the average loop strength of thread on lockstitch sewing) to determine your seam strength in pounds per inch of sewing

Take that number and figure out approximately how many inches of stitching are needed to hold your load. May be a simple box stitch or bar tack or two for loading a couple hundred pounds.