Model 7 Build in the works

Tartan

WKR
I snagged a model 7 action from chad at LRI to build a general purpose gun for pigs and whitetails here in Texas and Oklahoma. In the end, the action came out to be about the same cost as buying a bighorn origin. I figured this would be a fun first build and something fairly unique.

AM-JKLXJmE4Bi3d5PeAf0F1zW4fXQlOtbL0DR5DaqHSXUdUt3aMz6Wlnle-vGLQmr6Tl3WXJ5NPeyu3xP333k1tV3OMm1RzmMY3fm7HOfZracu0P9GX1p88T2rpe57hV3aVELf0VDl7HyiwtstUBxejaPyS0OA=w1694-h1270-no

LRI included the following as default on their sale
  • LRI Tier 1 Blueprint
  • Diamond honed receiver bore
  • Pinned for LRI recoil lug
  • 4x 8-40 scope base holes
  • Higbee Lead thread on receiver bore
  • ID chamfered front scope base hole
  • Resurfaced ejection/loading port
  • Rear tang hole opened to 1/4-28
I also added
  • M16 Extractor
  • Dual ejectors
  • Time/Tig service
  • Tac bolt knob

I've started stockpiling parts for the build. Got a trigger tech special for the m7. Stock options are limited, but found an HS Precision psv063 (discontinued) at stocky's. It looks like the barrel channel is big enough to handle a proof sendero if desired. PT&G bdl bottom metal. Gretan fire assembly. Scrounged up the bolt stop parts and have a Talley rail on the way.

AM-JKLUutSMjj3-uRRcVNTfDsDJylHj8v_sg2IFJQKpi4mRcNzUwP76YE3vZ91boFeWX7B1u0oXGDReqFlCs3Vvq7RrhH3xHKLFav2T4ry1uRf1A4dlfxHz2myiRKxuKaiaYbCMpJVR0wQEiP6zv5hR3TgDgtA=w1694-h1270-no

I'm not really looking to go superlight on the build. I'd be happy if it ended up around 8.5 lbs scoped (probably going with either a NXS 2.5-10 or SHV 3-10, I'd also snag an SSWFA 3-9 if I could find one)

20" for the barrel and want to thread it 5/8x24 for future suppressor use. I think a fluted 3b could get me there. Not against putting a proof or carbon6 barrel on it either.

I'm leaning towards a 6 or 6.5 creed. Boring, but easy to find ammo and plenty for what and how I rifle hunt.

rokbottom

Lil-Rokslider
Following.

I'm sitting on two of his M7 actions as well (I missed the original number that included the bolt), but was able to grab one elsewhere.

I was able to snag an MDT HS3 Chassis and their Adjustable SCS stock on black friday. I was going to pair this with a SWFA 3-9 that I have sitting around.

So far, I'm in $650 for my one build, but I still need:
- Barrel
- Trigger
- Bolt Stop parts
- Scope base

My plan was to build on a 6.5 Creedmoor or 7mm-08. I'm getting to the point where I kind of just want to go with a Form special, and grab that Tikka.

OP
Tartan

Tartan

WKR
Following.

I'm sitting on two of his M7 actions as well (I missed the original number that included the bolt), but was able to grab one elsewhere.

I was able to snag an MDT HS3 Chassis and their Adjustable SCS stock on black friday. I was going to pair this with a SWFA 3-9 that I have sitting around.

So far, I'm in $650 for my one build, but I still need:
- Barrel
- Trigger
- Bolt Stop parts
- Scope base

My plan was to build on a 6.5 Creedmoor or 7mm-08. I'm getting to the point where I kind of just want to go with a Form special, and grab that Tikka.

I had initially been planning on going with a tikka build as well. I likely still will for whatever the next rifle is.

I've wanted an LRI rifle for a long time. I'm really impressed with chad and the work they put out, but a full build is just out of my price range. With the extra upgrades I included and needing a firing assembly it came out to the same cost as a lot of the custom actions out there. Probably not worth it on paper, but it's unique and will be a fun little rifle.

The bolt stop parts were hard to find, I ended up finding some on ebay, none of the main sources I searched had any in stock.

Once I get the rail in I'm going to take all the parts down to alamo precision and figure out the barrel details.

OP
Tartan

Tartan

WKR
Dropped the parts off at Alamo precision today. Getting a 20” brux 1:7.5 twist barrel in 6 creed. Went with a Remington varmint contour as it filled the stock the best and a heavy spiral flute to get some weight out.

sportsmans challenge

WKR
Classified Approved
Will keep an eye on your build.

Just got my rem model 7 from p t and g from the remington barreled actions sale. Got it in 260 rem. I have a stripped bolt, action and a short chambered barrel. Not sure what I may do with it yet.

Attachments

• 20211222_133514.jpg
    20211222_133514.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 83
  • 20211222_133834.jpg
    20211222_133834.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 84
  • 20211222_133451.jpg
    20211222_133451.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 82

Jonoton

FNG
I am following your build as well. I jumped on two of the LRI M7 actions with bolts, accurizing package and bolt fluting as well.
1. 22" 7-08AI: #1 contour barrel from K&P. work done by LRI. I have a McMillan KS stock for this one, GreTan lite fire assembly, and need to source an aluminum bdl assembly. I am hoping it is less than 5.5 pounds, but have not done a thorough analysis. I think this will be my end-all mountain and pack rifle
2. The second action will be a pistol build in 300blk. Probably a braced chassis of some sort. That is further down the road, I ordered it with a 556 bolt face anyways.

I wish Hawkins would support the Seven with their bottom metal designs.

sportsmans challenge

WKR
Classified Approved
I am following your build as well. I jumped on two of the LRI M7 actions with bolts, accurizing package and bolt fluting as well.
1. 22" 7-08AI: #1 contour barrel from K&P. work done by LRI. I have a McMillan KS stock for this one, GreTan lite fire assembly, and need to source an aluminum bdl assembly. I am hoping it is less than 5.5 pounds, but have not done a thorough analysis. I think this will be my end-all mountain and pack rifle
2. The second action will be a pistol build in 300blk. Probably a braced chassis of some sort. That is further down the road, I ordered it with a 556 bolt face anyways.

I wish Hawkins would support the Seven with their bottom metal designs.

OP
Tartan

Tartan

WKR
no pics yet unfortunately, but the barrel was getting chambered last week.

100 rounds of hornady 108 eldm on it's way.

nxs 2.5-10x42 mil-r on it's way as well.

only item left to order is rings, but waiting to have it all in hand first so i can figure out what height to get.

OP
Tartan

Tartan

WKR
Got the call from Alamo Precision that it was finished and picked it up today. Rings have been ordered, hopefully I'll have a chance this or next weekend to take it to the range and get it sighted in.

8lbs even as it sits. Should put it at 9.5lbs with scope. I could have saved that pound with a proof barrel or smaller contour, but after mulling it over I think the extra weight will be beneficial for my use.

I'll probably do a diy paint job on the stock at some point, but currently more excited to go shoot than to pull it all apart.

AM-JKLVDXn_pbblWRDO86ti1GKALWlCpXMNJSF4olKcIp6RKf16ncFAghczF4JqwXaM2EMnOo67mijLYFXEj68OrtrqqtyQrEyeGkkxslEKHzLbC09yWIZU5S5szOyuv_GIJlW-BpBZ2PHndQPMutlXtKQYxhw=w1718-h373-no

QuackAttack

Lil-Rokslider
Chad does outstanding work. He is not as well known as some of the bigger shops, but I think his work is superior…and you can talk directly to him when you call. Since he got the 5 axis CNC, he has turned it up to 11 on trued actions, serious barrel fluting (pretty much at weight with a carbon tube of equal diameter), and his bedding is amazing.

I’m surprised that sheep hunters aren’t flooding him with requests for his fluted barrels on those Model 7s. It would be a tier 1 mountain rifle. Pin a one piece AL pic rail on top and you have detachable optics with return to zero…

OP
Tartan

Tartan

WKR
all ready to hit the range either sometime this week if I can squeeze a couple hours off or this weekend.

AM-JKLUXPQw7EXeVLV7Cpl9wun_a20HOHWC67oaQ28ZCVGuHctLD3JPepIe_BatvnJb5tNib-hdjAlOSw8CB0K_jMDJEI62AJmEfDVRCF3wKRfuEpGl1bODZdohlidIm3UOs6DTwv4_4hpa1GxDi_JkrVaqgig=w1718-h535-no

Last edited:

Jonoton

FNG
Looks great! The paint job is very well done. I bet it will shoot as well as it looks

I just got updated by LRI, they have test fired my barreled action.

OP
Tartan

Tartan

WKR
Texas "snowstorm" and honeydoes kept me away from the range last week, but should have a report this weekend on how it shoots.

Dropped the parts off at Alamo precision today. Getting a 20” brux 1:7.5 twist barrel in 6 creed. Went with a Remington varmint contour as it filled the stock the best and a heavy spiral flute to get some weight out.
What made you choose 6 over 6.5?

OP
Tartan

Tartan

WKR
What made you choose 6 over 6.5?
Idk just a gut reaction I suppose. Ammo has been fairly easy to find. It’ll be plenty for the whitetails and pigs around here. Any major out of state hunt I do will be with a bow. And I have an excuse in a couple years to build something bigger…