Model 7 - Saum rebarrel.

N2TRKYS

WKR
With more mag length you can set up chamber and ammo to run faster velocities at same pressure.

How much extra velocity would it take to make enough difference for the trouble and expense to make it worth it for hunting bullets inside of the stated 500 yards?

On paper not much, maybe an inch of wind drift? Maybe have to dial up one more click at 500?

I have a custom 7saum on a 700 clone with extended mag box allowing 2.99 coal. I set them out because I can, but do t notice much difference if I seat the bullets at 2.83”... if you don’t have a compressed load not sure of the advantage

Last edited:
To get to the original post asking what the disadvantages are- fewer stock, trigger, bottom metal options, neutering a SAUM with a short COAL, odd rear action screw size.

Advantage: 2 oz (IIRC) lighter than a 700 short action and 1/2” shorter.

bpctcb

WKR
How much does BC matter inside of 500 yards?

I don’t think you will ever notice the difference inside 500 yards. 800-1,000 yards is another story.

I had a model Seven once and sold it. It uses any model 700 (prefit) barrel but it was the limited stock selection that killed it for me.

BP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

N2TRKYS

WKR
To get to the original post asking what the disadvantages are- fewer stock, trigger, bottom metal options, neutering a SAUM with a short COAL, odd rear action screw size.

Advantage: 2 oz (IIRC) lighter than a 700 short action and 1/2” shorter.

Ok

N2TRKYS

WKR
Yes stock selection is very minimal. Will say that Trigger Tech now making a trigger for the M7, no worries there anymore.
If you want light, for sure easier to work with a M700.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cool, I know alot of folks like those Trigger Techs. The Timneys drop in nicely, as well.

On paper not much, maybe an inch of wind drift? Maybe have to dial up one more click at 500?

Difference in wind drift between a 160 accubond and a 162 ELDm @ 500 yards, 2900 FPS MV, in a 10 mph 90 degree wind is 3”.

If comparing same bullets @ different velocities it would take a pretty good velocity gap to get that same 3” of drift difference.

Cool, I know alot of folks like those Trigger Techs. The Timneys drop in nicely, as well.

The Timney in my 300 Saum was much better than the factory trigger for sure. But I did have to work on some clearance to make it work.
The TT dropped right in and I do like it a bit better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There are more reasons than just velocity that a longer mag length helps you.

-Longer COAL allows you to seat bullets out of the donut area
-can add more freebore which reduces pressure and still seat bullets close to lands if that’s where they shoot best.
-less likelihood of having compressed loads and inconsistent seating depths that can accompany them

Just to clarify, a model 7 could be used to do exactly what the OP is looking for but since we nitpick these things I’m pointing out why I think there are better options for a SAUM.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I guess I’ll just have to settle with my 160 grain Partitions and Accubonds traveling at 2950 fps out of my factory 22” barreled Model Seven. 😂

-can add more freebore which reduces pressure and still seat bullets close to lands if that’s where they shoot best.
-less likelihood of having compressed loads and inconsistent seating depths that can accompany them

Just to clarify, a model 7 could be used to do exactly what the OP is looking for but since we nitpick these things I’m pointing out why I think there are better options for a SAUM.
Wind, I agree with all your good points here. I was in the same boat and after much deliberation, opted for the 6.5 SST which is a shortened saum that accommodates the shorter mag box and outperforms the 6.5 prc by a nudge. If the OP is set on 7mm, he could find happiness with a 7sst (Sherman short tactical) for the 140’s in the model 7.

caveat: if my action wouldn’t have held as much sentimental value, I would have come out even money with a Borden ridgeline mid length that would accommodate any bullet in any short mag caliber without the COAL constraints. Pick your poison!😂

I am wondering if a Model 7 in 300 saum would be a good candidate for a rebarrel to 7 saum. Obviously, it can be done. My question is for 140 grain - 160 grain bullets. What I am wondering is there a disadvantage to this action over other commonly found actions?
Do you have access to Mac Bros Evo actions up North? Pretty tough to beat for $575.
Otherwise a Tikka would be an awesome donar.

I agree with what was discussed earlier about stuffing a saum into a super short action, yes it can be done but I've learned from past builds that its better to do it right the first time.

OP
P

Prairiekid

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the opinions, it certainly helps and I learn without making any costly mistakes. Unfortunately the rifle I was looking at sold, but there will be others. I do favor the idea of a shorter action. I would also have the barrel no longer than 21". Because most of my shots are well inside of 100 yards, most of my hunting is still hunting, but living in the Rocky Mountains, there are definitely opportunities well beyond depending on the day.

I am definitely not against the SST lineup. The rifle I was looking at was being sold with dies and brass, that made it quite easy to get into shooting the 300 saum this season to eventually rebarrel next.

I am not sure if we can get the Mac Bros Evo and I just sold a Tikka :( in wsm.

Badger ordinance makes a conversion for the model Seven to a drop magazine- called the M7 bottom metal and trigger guard. That allows you to get the longer coal from the magazine you use

woods89

WKR
I have a M7 action with a bunch of parts bolted to it. I like the rifle a lot but as has been mentioned above know what you're getting into. Aftermarket support is not like the M700 or Tikka platforms. If starting over I'd use a
Tikka or a custom action. Mine became a custom 1 change at a time over the years so after awhile I was kind of invested and stuck with it.

woods89

WKR
Badger ordinance makes a conversion for the model Seven to a drop magazine- called the M7 bottom metal and trigger guard. That allows you to get the longer coal from the magazine you use
I have this system and like it a lot. And now you can get flush fit 3 round mags from Curtis Customs and Hawkins if you don't want a mag hanging down.