Model 70 7mm rem mag rebarrel!

Bcreek86

FNG
Hey fellas’,
I will start by saying I’ve been a member for awhile and I NEVER post until recently. I’m not a stranger to the game and enjoy all the shenanigans rokslide has to offer! Y’all are great. That being said my wife Gpa passed away and gave me his 7mm his wishes were “go kill a bull with it...I never got too”! Although I mainly bowhunt I enjoy the hunt no matter what weapon is in my hands. So me and my buddy took off to idaho and we both took great bulls. I put a vx3 3.5-10cds on it and it drops dimes out to 700 with factory federal 168s It shoot about a 3/4 to 7/8 inch group at 200 yards and sometimes better with Barnes tsx 160s. So....here’s where I’m at and your probably gonna say stop right there and go hunt...but I’m a bonehead like the rest of y’all and I like shiny new thing...squirrels even distract me! My gunsmith says 650$ for out the door rebarrel with a benchmark. I’m also gonna put a new trigger, new butt pad, 20moa base, front 2” pic rail, seamless brake, flute the barrel and run a VX6HD 3-18. He knows I’ve been wanting a 28 and talked me into it, so I’m mostly likely gonna do it the only option I will consider is keeping it a 7 or the 28 I have other rifles and I want to keep the stock to keep a little part of the old man in there! I know powder is to find and it worry’s me but what are ya gonna do! My question to the church is what kinda trouble should I expect. Is it gonna be as smooth as a job as he says? 180s or 195s is what I plan to shoot and I will go with a 8twist. And any ideas of fellas that have done what I’m doing please chime in and tell me that I’m making the right decision!! Here’s a couple pics of my Idaho bull and the pops old rifle.042A341E-58E7-495D-BBA6-06CF84F302EB.jpeg05A85FA7-6FA2-4E24-B98F-92BC2BFE2E6A.jpeg

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Nice bull and cool rifle.

Throated right, you can run 180 vld at or about 3000 fps with 68.4 +or - grains of H1000 out of a 7 mag. You can also run a long throated 7 saum. Go 8.5 for 180. Go 8 for 190+ gr.

Run the numbers, you don't gain a whole lot above a 180 vld at 3000, IMO, with a 28 Nosler. More powder and heavier bullets, you get more recoil and makes it harder to shoot well. Its only past 700 and 800 that it really makes any big difference. Unless you are really reaching out, I don't think the juice is worth the squeeze. But, that's me.

Easy button for the 7 mag and 180 vld, but the 28 is cool too. I just think there is diminishing returns on bigger, even when the ballistic numbers look better.

You will be happy with either. Go 28 if its an itch to scratch. Benchmark will make you happy.

WKR
Are you going to reload? If so I would look at the 7-300. In-between the 7mm and 28 nosler for velocity if that's is what you are looking for. The 300 win brass is just necked down to .284, much easier to find the brass over the 28 nosler. Just my opinion.
Go with the 1:8 twist like you plan and see about extending your mag length. The 195 are pretty long and will seat deep into a case in the standard 3.4" box. Wyatts makes an extended box for the model 70 to 3.82 I believe.
I have a model 70 7mm mag as well that needs a rebarrel job. I have a 8.4 twist proof ready for the job but I haven't done it yet but those are some of the options I have been looking at. I like the 180 eldms over the 195s myself but I haven't shot either at game.

OP
Bcreek86

Bcreek86

FNG
I really like the 180s I killed the bear in my profile pics with the 180 vld hunter it only made it about 5 steps and piled up. Plus I want the wife to shoot it as well and hopefully my daughters as they get older. I agree with your logic and it’s definitely an itch I feel the need to scratch. I’ve owned a few different 7mms.

OP
Bcreek86

Bcreek86

FNG
If that gun shoots like that....... don't touch it!

Somebody had to say it... 🙂
I know. I just can’t get over that sporter barrel and the 9.5 twist. I think it was manufactured in 72’ I just want the barrel and the break and to at least shoot 180s I think I can get great accuracy still. Hopefully! I’d be handloading either way.

Man... I would "find a project" to build off of before I changed up a rifle with personal value that shoots like that! But I totally get the desire to 'play. Just trying to talk you off a ledge before you change up a beautiful thing and regret it later, as an old man 😉

SDHNTR

WKR
I have a Benchmark #4 on my M70 7mag. 8 twist. 1/2 moa with 150 Hornady GMX or Barnes 160.

OP
Bcreek86

Bcreek86

FNG
Are you going to reload? If so I would look at the 7-300. In-between the 7mm and 28 nosler for velocity if that's is what you are looking for. The 300 win brass is just necked down to .284, much easier to find the brass over the 28 nosler. Just my opinion.
Go with the 1:8 twist like you plan and see about extending your mag length. The 195 are pretty long and will seat deep into a case in the standard 3.4" box. Wyatts makes an extended box for the model 70 to 3.82 I believe.
I have a model 70 7mm mag as well that needs a rebarrel job. I have a 8.4 twist proof ready for the job but I haven't done it yet but those are some of the options I have been looking at. I like the 180 eldms over the 195s myself but I haven't shot either at game.
Do you have a different stock? I can’t fit a proof I’m my stock I dont have a enough meat to lose to go carbon. I will reload. And I feel ya on the 28 brass. And yes I asked him about the mag box and he said it may need it. But I also don’t want anything extended I want to hold the rifle there sometimes if I have to pick up and move or carry it that way at times. A detachable flush mag box would be perfect. I’ve also had a hard time finding a aftermarket stock I like AG will send me a blank and I have a guy that would Inlet it for the M70 but now we are talking one defiant action away from a full custom on a m70 action. Might as well just keep that rifle and do a full separate build at that point haha.

OP
Bcreek86

Bcreek86

FNG
I have a Benchmark #4 on my M70 7mag. 8 twist. 1/2 moa with 150 Hornady GMX or Barnes 160.
With the original stock? Benchmark #4 is what I was planning on ordering tomorrow. And having kamp flute it.

OP
Bcreek86

Bcreek86

FNG
Man... I would "find a project" to build off of before I changed up a rifle with personal value that shoots like that! But I totally get the desire to 'play. Just trying to talk you off a ledge before you change up a beautiful thing and regret it later, as an old man 😉
My buddy said the same thing and I don’t disagree to be honest....Squirrel!!!! Another option is doing everything I talked about minus the barrel and throw the 3-18 on it and take it on my Idaho deer hunt and just hang on to the barrel till I’m ready ready!

WKR
McMillan makes stocks that are inleted for the 70, you can use a cf/bull barrel or a standard sporter size barrel. The extended magazine box is for length, not extra rounds. It will be the same as your bdl style now. It will allow you to seat the vld style bullets into or close to the lands. If your model 70 has the two piece bottom metal it will eliminate the middle screw. If you plan on using the 195s I recommend it. I am going to do it with mine. Long rifles inc makes a detachable mag for model 70s that is mostly flush if you are wanting a mag.
Ya the prices all add up and in the end you can just get a custom action for a little bit more but if you have a connection to the rifle why not make it the way you want it and still know it was Grandpa rifle.
I am going to keep mine a 7 mag since I have all the reloading supplies for a 7mag and I plan on shooting the 180s. Like hereinaz stated, 180s at 3K is good enough for me.

BluMtn

WKR
If that gun shoots like that....... don't touch it!

Somebody had to say it... 🙂
I would have to agree. I am sentimental when it comes to hand-me-downs. I would find a donor and use it to make your dream rifle. Except with a brake on it, it is not a dream in my book but that is my opinion. Anyhow I would think hard about screwing up a good shooting heirloom that could be passed on to your children.

E in CO

Lil-Rokslider
My $0.02... I’m not yet an old dude but no longer a young guy. I’m in the middle where I can see the value of family rifle sentiments and new sexy builds. If you have an itch that needs scratching I’d look for another action to build on. I’d keep that rifle as is since it’s a proven shooter and has some family sentiments. If you have kids someday they might appreciate their great grampa‘s rifle and also the rifle build their dad had spun together. Doesn’t hurt to have 2 triggers to pull instead of 1 later down the road. Might be worth saving a little more $ for the build project but at least you have one to shoot in the meantime. And it’s gonna be sometime before components are readily available to test put the new build. Good luck with your decision.

OP
Bcreek86

Bcreek86

FNG
Well after a long debate! I decided to leave Pops old rifle alone and picked up a HC Long Range McMillan!image.jpg