Model 70

So here's a question for you guys. I have a later model (say year 00) win model 70 classic ss with original composite stock. I love this gun, but recently have decided I could shed weight off it. Does anyone know of a light weight 2 price floor system for this or any other lighter mods (aside from barrels) that are available?

muddydogs

WKR
It's going to cost a bunch of $ to shed a few ounces. I hunt with a 1985 vintage model 70 Sporter mag that weighted over 10 pounds with it's nice wood monte carlo stock. A couple years ago I ran across an original Win composite stock for a good price and while it pained me to replace the wood stock with plastic I was able to drop a pound and a half off the rifle weight.

Your rifle weights just over 7 pounds doesn't it? Thats not to bad for a SS rifle, you might be able to shed another 6 oz or so but it's going to cost.

Ive got nearly the same rifle, mines in the original walnut stock though. Wildcat Stocks makes an 18 ounce composite stock that I am going to order soon. I haven't looked for aluminum bottom metal yet.

PTG makes aluminum 1pc bottom metal for the M70 but that’s an easy fix to fit in the stock. Also what scope mounts are you using? Switching to Talley lightweight might help also.
A lighter stock is gonna be an expensive upgrade but might be worth it if you really want to drop some weight.

gbflyer

WKR
You hit on it right away: The barrel. It’s hard to shed much meaningful weight and use the stock barrel contour.

OP
Zzhartless
I appreciating the input. I did just recently switch to the one piece Talley rings. I'm looking into shedding the weight more for an obsesion to make all my crap light as possible even though I've hunted with all of it for years with no problem. A few Oz here and there adds up.

OXN939

WKR
I appreciating the input. I did just recently switch to the one piece Talley rings. I'm looking into shedding the weight more for an obsesion to make all my crap light as possible even though I've hunted with all of it for years with no problem. A few Oz here and there adds up.

I just put together a Model 70 Extreme Weather SS as a mid-long range hunting rig. It is not a featherweight rifle, but I have come to the conclusion that the EW SS specifically is the best mountain rifle ever made. All three of my M70s are almost universally accurate with ammo, have silky smooth actions, feed, extract and eject super reliably, manage recoil well and are aesthetically beautiful rifles. Pretty much everything in the world of firearms has some kind of tradeoff, and for all the aforementioned positives, I am most certainly willing to have a "light" rather than "ultralight" rifle. Just my opinion coming off a really excellent range day.

16Bore

WKR
It’s gonna get pricey. I’d say leave it as it and get used to it or buy a Tikka, Montana, Fieldcraft.

What you put into the stock is 1/2 the price of a new rifle.

fraz01

FNG
Could look into having the barrel turned down. Would probably have to be recrownded to.