Model Seven stock options?

OK_hunter

FNG
My first gun was a youth model Remington Model Seven in 7mm-08. It has an 18.5 inch barrel and short (youth) wood stock on it from the factory. I have cut and fitted a small block of wood to increase the LOP and added a slide over recoil pad. The current weight without the scope is 6 pounds 15 ounces scoped and unloaded. I really like carrying this gun in the woods since it is so short and light but I do not like to fit and feel of the stock.

I am looking for suggestions for a new stock, and want to know what others have done for their Model Sevens. I really just want a decent stock that will not add too much weight. I am looking at the Alaskan and the HS precision. Is the HS worth the extra money? Is the 30-32 ounce wights listed in Stocky's accurate for these models? Has anyone handled both and did one have better ergonomics or durability than the other? Are there other options out there in this price range I should consider? I am open to all options, including wood or laminate. I know there are more expensive options, but I feel the gun is already light enough and is only intended for 300 yards or less so I do not feel the need for a super expensive premium stock on this rifle. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

EastMT

WKR
51ff41674f08fd98d79dbf1dbe7a8723.jpg

This is a model 7 with the HS. I like the shape and feel of it, the solid aluminum block. I didn’t bed it and it shoots great. I think is just a hair over 7 lbs with the 3-9 VX2 before I changed scope mounts, haven’t weighed it since.

I have a 300 WSM in order and it will be getting the same setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

N2TRKYS

WKR
I put B&C stocks on all of my rifles and have never done any additional bedding. All I've had to do is drop it in. They've all fit the rifles perfectly and the grip is the perfect size. I recently bought into the hype of McMillan stocks with edge fill. I bought one for my Model Seven SS 7-08. It's a little lighter, but not enough to justify the added cost. Also there was fitment issues. It had to be sent back 3 times. The grip is too small and the stock doesn't seem to be as strong as the B&C stocks that I have. I won't be making the mistake of buying a McMillan again.

CAhunter

Lil-Rokslider
Of the stocks I’ve purchased I have been the least satisfied with my McMillan. I know they have a large following but for the money I was disappointed with the fit. I like my B&C and the HS precision I have but my favorite so far has been the Manners SL.

I put a Manners on my Model 7.

Might be more $$$ than you want to spend though.

EastMT

WKR
The manners is a great stock. I had one on a 308 at one time. It shot great but was inconsistent. I called manners, they told me it needed to be bedded for consistency. I had never bedded one before, wasn’t going to learn on a $600 stock.

My other 7’s had the HS on them, bolt it on and go for around $300 if you shop. It was handy to just switch stocks back n forth if I decided, or bought another one. I sold the manners, but it was really nice, just for that price I can buy another model 7 SS.

Still waiting on my WSM. I ordered the 7 300 Blackout from Sportsman’s website also, got an email a day later saying they were sold out. Argh may have to use gunbroker.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I’ve used and hunted with every stock mentioned and some that haven’t been.

Bansner/HTS Sheep Hunter for the win.

51ff41674f08fd98d79dbf1dbe7a8723.jpg

This is a model 7 with the HS. I like the shape and feel of it, the solid aluminum block. I didn’t bed it and it shoots great. I think is just a hair over 7 lbs with the 3-9 VX2 before I changed scope mounts, haven’t weighed it since.

I have a 300 WSM in order and it will be getting the same setup.

What model no. is that stock?

that's perfect.

EastMT

WKR
PSS050 I think. There were a few floating around on eBay, but I want to try one of my other ones on the WSM to make sure the barrel fits it ok

OP
O

OK_hunter

FNG
Thanks for the suggestions. Manners and McMillan are out due to price. I looked at the Sheep hunter early on, but I would prefer a drop in option so I don't need to find a gun smith to fit it. I think I will shop around for the HS stock and see if I can find a good price.

Boyds makes a laminate for $187.

The fit, finish, feel, and accuracy is fine. Getting ahold of customer service is the only bad part.

I'd buy there again.

But I want a Model 7 HS sendero style stock.

I have a B&C Alaskan II on my model 7 and its great. I had it bedded when I had the rifle re-barreled to 6.5, but it shot pretty well before with the factory 18.5" in 6mm rem.

I’ve used and hunted with every stock mentioned and some that haven’t been.

Bansner/HTS Sheep Hunter for the win.

I’m not going to post pics of my rifle again- they’re all over here on model 7 threads- but I hunt with a model 7 exclusively and have a few innthe closet. Having been around the block too many times in model 7 builds The only handle I’ll use on one is the bansner/hightech/LAW, or the MCMILLAN KS if you can find one. Everything else has a grip that sucks/ not natural enough, weighs too much, or has a forend that’s less useful shooting rested across a pack etc. bedding the LAW isn’t any real challenge. formalicious doesnt even paint his. Sometimes I like to krylon mine in the winter when I get bored. It’s an upgrade in geometry, weight, and balance over the HS- but they’re your compromises to make- and the HS doesn’t lack quailty

Last edited:
I’m not going to post pics of my rifle again- they’re all over here on model 7 threads- but I hunt with a model 7 exclusively and have a few innthe closet. Having been around the block too many times in model 7 builds The only handle I’ll use on one is the bansner/hightech/LAW, or the MCMILLAN KS if you can find one. Everything else has a grip that sucks/ not natural enough, weighs too much, or has a forend that’s less useful shooting rested across a pack etc. bedding the LAW isn’t any real challenge. formalicious doesnt even paint his. Sometimes I like to krylon mine in the winter when I get bored. It’s an upgrade in geometry, weight, and balance over the HS- but they’re your compromises to make- and the HS doesn’t lack quailty

I'd go with a stug out of nz first choice.

Second would be a wildcat composite.

Running a 7mm08 with stock stock. I just haven't been happy with my groups even with handloads. The barrel is pencil thin so maybe it heats up pretty quick which could affect groups. Do you guys feel your gun shot better with a replacement stock. Considering the HS stock.

Firing this one up again. I bought a B and C stock and it didn't work out. The rifle didn't seem to fit right and the end of the fore-end touched the barrel. Sending it back. Other suggestions? Like the Manners, but I don't plan to bed it so I don't know if that is worth the money????

chris

If anyone is still following this----I sent back the Bell and Carlson stock I had put on this rifle. Near the foreend, the stock was touching the barrel like it was bent or something. They were great and gave me my money back. I ended up purchasing a HS stock for the gun. Just put it on. Fits perfect. Very excited to go out and run some rounds throught this gun now. Not sure what the issue was with the B and C stock.

chris

N2TRKYS

WKR
That is weird. I’ve bought a half dozen or more B&C stocks for M700s and Model Sevens over the years and they’ve all been drop in ready.

Hate it didn’t work out for you.