Modern Day MT Man

dotman

WKR
Alright I think Billy might be kind of shy or modest :) His vids are in the rokslide store http://youtu.be/UDKaAqNaOt0
Billy one of these years I hope to spend a week or two in AK hunting with you.

Last edited:

billy molls

Super Moderator
Thanks for the flattering comments, guys. It's hard to believe that 25 years ago, hunting in Alaska was just a far-fetched dream. I have been extremely blessed in many ways. This past year I spent just over 100 days in the bush, and most of those hunts can be seen on my Season 5 DVD.

Season 4 is my 2010 DVD. 4 and 5 are 2-disc sets filmed in HD, each being 4.5 hours long. 4 has 10 hunts, 5 has 9 hunts, both are for Dall sheep, grizzly, brown bear, moose, and caribou. I would definitely consider these 2 DVDs my best.

The average hunter will never go to Alaska. My goal when filming and creating my videos is to teach those hunters, and make them feel what it is like to do so. And for the guys who have hunted in Alaska, I think the videos will bring the memories back. I have guided in Idaho for 8 years, and Colorado for 1, and hunted personally in Nevada, and Colorado, but Alaska is where my heart lies.

Being in the bush of Alaska, is a unique life changing experience that, for me, is like nothing else. If you can imagine combining your emotions when you go in a church for a worship service, go to a funeral, get married, and watch a child being born, then you have a pretty good idea what it feels like to spend a couple months in the bush of Alaska.

I have never killed any animal in Alaska for myself, and I honestly don't care if I ever do. For those of you who haven't taken an inexperienced hunter into the field(not that my clients are inexperienced, but using this as an example for others), for me it is far better than actually hunting myself. It has allowed me to acquire a much deeper appreciation for nature than I would have had I been the one pulling the trigger. 10-foot bears, 70-inch moose, and 40-inch rams are exciting to see and harvest, but the greatest aspects of Alaska lie beyond the revelation of a tape measurer.

For those who have hunted there, I am preaching to the choir, to those who haven't, beg steal and borrow to get there (and be sure to hunt someplace remote). It guarantee it will change your life.

B

bearguide

billy is the real deal. he sure has it right. thanks billy

OP
D

dotman

WKR
Yeah thanks Billy, just finished disc 1 of season 5 and now I can't give up, so here at midnight I start disc 2 :)

OP
D

dotman

WKR
Haha, great videos. Not too many videos capture real emotions and you have done it. Anymore it is hard to find something that doesn't seem scripted or the hunters no longer have that raw emotion of that first experience, you captured that. I hope to get up there because now I want a white sheep as Andreas would say.

Oh yeah the directors cut had me laughing, keep it up and oh yeah "thats a big bear" :)

marshrat

FNG
Great video. I can't even imagine the rest of the DVD let alone actually going. Thanks for making them. Very sorry about all the comments on youtube. I guess it comes with the territory.

kuhn4

Lil-Rokslider
I have purchased all but two (Fury in the alders and Arctic antlers) of Billy's DVDs. They all have great scenery, various wildlife, stalks/kills, educational info, and some comedy mixed in. His early ones in standard definition have decent picture quality on a larger TV. Seasons 4 and 5 are filmed in HD and look great on a larger TV. Seasons 4 and 5 are quite long which makes them a good value. There is lots of footage other than somebody squeezing a trigger and standing over an animal. My wife does not hunt and does not like kills shots, but there is so much else going on in the videos that she honestly enjoys watching them. Maybe she finds a guy who hasn’t showered in weeks good looking. I think the quality of each season got better so I would start with Seasons 4 and 5 and work your way back. Overall they are worth buying.

Bighorse

WKR
Oh ya, thats a big bear. I enjoyed your write up on the season too. I live up here in AK. My Second hunt of the year will be remote solo Mt. Goat. I love being in the remote wilderness of Alaska with the privlege of taking amazing game animals. I understand your sentiment and even in the brief trailer I liked how you kept it true to the experience. It sounds like you have great communication with your clients in the moment.