Modern Hunting Knife Shootout, By Dioni Amuchastegui

Maverick1

WKR
No joke. It only took me once before the "cool" look of the paracord became a bloody foul smelly mess of a "handle". Never again.

As for the review, solid write up. I'm a big fan of the Argali Carbon but now that I have the Serac it's been a toss up between the two. If I really wanted to be "that gear guy" then I'd take the Carbon for deer/antelope and the Serac for elk as the larger blade shape is nice to have for the larger bodied animals. At least that's been my experience last year.
My primary knife for the backcountry came wrapped in orange Paracord. I like the orange color because it makes it easy to find and the Paracord adds grip. The Paracord becomes a bloody mess, incapable of being properly cleaned, as you mention. I discovered this after my first use of the knife, so I removed the original Paracord and rewrapped the knife, as I’ve done dozens of times since. Works great, for me.

Picture-1.jpg

In this review, Dioni puts five top hunting knives to the test in a head-to-head shootout. He tested the knives side by side on the mountain while breaking down mule deer and gives his unfiltered opinions.

Modern Hunting Knife Shootout
Great post !

Hoff

FNG
I will still use a havalon. To me the perfect system is to have both. I've always packed a spare knife because I am really good at losing one. After trying so many back to back I realized how much better a good fixed blade can work than a havalon. What I plan to do now is use a havalon for cuts through hair where most of the dulling happens then do the main body of work with a fixed blade then finish boning out with a fresh havalon blade to keep everything clean.
Great tip right there. Love the strategy.

FWIW.....I tracked down the original knife used in this review- the Kifaru KRU blade. If I whack anything I'll try to remember to add it here or do my own mini post.

I think I LOVE the blade. It is larger than expected, which for me is a plus. I have XL hands. And I can already concur that this would NOT be what I would reach for to be a caper around eyes and mouth.

My system is as posted above in these last few posts.....the original Havalon goes everywhere with me. I've apprenticed under a National award winning taxidermist as my good buddy and hunting partner for a decade. He made his living with a scalpel and still does. Just cant replace it.

I dont see ever changing. In fact I've done more complete animals with JUST the small Havalon than not.

Triple d

FNG
My primary knife for the backcountry came wrapped in orange Paracord. I like the orange color because it makes it easy to find and the Paracord adds grip. The Paracord becomes a bloody mess, incapable of being properly cleaned, as you mention. I discovered this after my first use of the knife, so I removed the original Paracord and rewrapped the knife, as I’ve done dozens of times since. Works great, for me.
Glad I read this before I bought the knife I was looking at, thanks for the info

My TUR Carbon Pro broke in two. It broke where the blade necks down and connects to the handle where the two screws are. There is not a lot of metal there. Goat Knives DID send me a new blade for free which was great, but being that it broke during the breakdown of a deer (taking off the rear hocks), I'm not sure I can trust it in the backcountry as my sole knife. I'm lucky I had my havalon as backup.

It's a cool lightweight knife, but honestly it almost falls into the replaceable blade category for me.

Attachments

• IMG_0735.jpeg
    IMG_0735.jpeg
    110.4 KB · Views: 22