Modern Hunting Knife Shootout, By Dioni Amuchastegui

Im definitely eye balling the argali Serac! I’m hoping Argali adds it as an option for their backcountry kill kit!

jonson25

FNG
Argali customer service was awesome when I needed them. I snapped the tip off my Argali Carbon while removing a bull elk’s head that was twisted around awkwardly and trapped under two deadfall trees in Idaho this past year. Told argali about it, sent them pics and mentioned that I was going on a CO mule deer hunt in the coming days. They sent me a new knife for free and I had it in my hands within 30 hours of originally contacting them. I was able to take the new knife with me and use it in CO. Can’t beat that service!

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
Argali customer service was awesome when I needed them. I snapped the tip off my Argali Carbon while removing a bull elk’s head that was twisted around awkwardly and trapped under two deadfall trees in Idaho this past year. Told argali about it, sent them pics and mentioned that I was going on a CO mule deer hunt in the coming days. They sent me a new knife for free and I had it in my hands within 30 hours of originally contacting them. I was able to take the new knife with me and use it in CO. Can’t beat that service!
I love hearing stories like that.

Hiwallman

Lil-Rokslider
Great to hear that a few company’s still stand behind their product. I’ll be adding a new knife to my kit this year and will be seriously considering an Argali knife. Thanks for the write up!

prm

WKR
That Argali Serac looks great. Been very happy with my Benchmade Altitude as well. I do keep a Havalon in the kill kit as a backup. Rather have one of these great fixed blades as a backup though.

Sloth

FNG
@Dioni A - any reason why the Benchmade Altitude wasn’t included in this test? Also, have you handled the Altitude and if so how do you think it would have fared in your test?

Thank you for the great write up. I got the Serac. I liked it so much (made short work of my 11 yo's first deer) I bought a second one for him for our elk hunt in Idaho this fall. PS I got their new belt too, looks solid!

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
@Dioni A - any reason why the Benchmade Altitude wasn’t included in this test? Also, have you handled the Altitude and if so how do you think it would have fared in your test?
It's difficult to do a review with so many knives and not have it be superficial. I really wanted to have actual experience with all of them and had to limit it at some point. No experience with it but I assume it would have done well. The blade profile has a similar shape to the Benchmade I included in this test and I assume it would work very well. That said I'm still not a huge fan of the skeletonized handles and prefer to not hold onto bare metal.

@Dioni A Check out the White River Knives Backpacker Pro also (the version without the paracord handle!) Similar to your favorites, but with some unique features. Ive had a couple of the knives in your review, but for the last 2 years the White River is all I've used. Excellent blade shape, stays sharp enough to process a deer start to finish, acceptable weight for backpack hunting, handle is very comfortable and shaped so there's little chance of slipping. Not too bad on the wallet for premium steel/kydex sheath as well.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

ElkPRC

Lil-Rokslider
@robby denning Thanks, I will have to take a look as I've been considering one.

Off topic but I see you are in SE Idaho, I'm new to the forum but looking to gain as much knowledge on Idaho as I can. I like many people would love to come out there to hunt elk and mule deer next year. I've hunted elk in Colorado when I was stationed out there a few years ago but looking to get back into it now. Any advice you have on zones, gear, tactics out there would be greatly appreciated! I'm sure there are many posts on the subject for me to read through on here.

RADunfee

Lil-Rokslider
I had considered adding them but at some point there gets to be too many to make the review palatable. They look very practical. I really like their Ashley game knife.
I carry the Ashley game knife, AGK, and I absolutely love it! Bought the Armitus Architect kydex sheath for it. Great review btw!

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
@robby denning Thanks, I will have to take a look as I've been considering one.

Off topic but I see you are in SE Idaho, I'm new to the forum but looking to gain as much knowledge on Idaho as I can. I like many people would love to come out there to hunt elk and mule deer next year. I've hunted elk in Colorado when I was stationed out there a few years ago but looking to get back into it now. Any advice you have on zones, gear, tactics out there would be greatly appreciated! I'm sure there are many posts on the subject for me to read through on here.

Hey welcome to the forum. I don’t get into spots on the Internet, but there’s a ton of information out there. Check out Hunt Score. He posts under @mhabiger and is a sponsor, he can help you with that. https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/welcome-huntscore-new-research-service.225014/

If you’re planning on Idaho, it’s getting tricky to get tags but still doable. You have to be ready to logon on December 1 and have a few hours. No guarantee you’ll get your first choice Zone but plenty of guys do. There’s also turnback opportunities later in the summer if you watch for them.

Tips and tactics? I don’t elk hunt but I’ve written over 300 mule deer related posts on the Rok blog. Just look for the link at the top of the forum

The research is half the fun. And if you’re finding out things on your own there’s less of a chance that every person with a keyboard knows about it too.

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk