Modern Muzzleloader

Zryd7

FNG
I just bought my second Muzzle Loader it is a CVA Accura V2 LR .50 cal, I have shot it a few times now and this thing is sweet, for people that are shopping for one right now I would check out Muzzle-loaders.com they have the best deals I could find anywhere and they have a lot of muzzle loader parts and cleaning stuff.

Does anyone on here have this muzzle loader I got and what loads are good for elk?

I I bought the MR version in October but still haven’t shot it. I did buy it off of muzzle-loaders.com. They had some good deals too.

While researching loads and generally 209 ignition muzzleloader I found out CVA might give me a 30% discount on a trade in of a Winchester Apex .46 I bought when they first came out. Tried many load combinations in that rifle and could not get it to shoot anywhere near as well as an Italian made TC Hawkens knock off I bought circa 1984. That rifle was a tack driver..

So the Apex sat in my gun cabinet unused. Contacted CVA and they said they would indeed take it in their trade in program. Purchased the LR version in .45 for 30% off and finally took it to the range last week. I’m quite impressed with it.

I have the same gun. Bought it from the same place too. I’ve shot whitetail with it but not elk yet. It was a big upgrade over my last smokepole.

Took 5 different weighed charges of Blackhorn 209 and 2 different bullets. 280 gr Powerbeats and 300 gr Arrowhead XLD that I smooth sized to shoot bullet to bore. Found a real nice load too.

Last edited:
75.3 gr by weight Blackhorn 209 with the Arrowhead 300gr XLD. The Powerbelts I was not impressed with. Not bad but next to the XLD they were not impressive. This was with a bore sighted Nikon Prostaff P3 3x9x40. Best group of the 8 or so groups I shot.

Attachments

• 372E6D17-A4E8-474C-A03E-0692C80C71FD.jpeg
    372E6D17-A4E8-474C-A03E-0692C80C71FD.jpeg
    317.2 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
That’s a 3 shot group btw. Another thing, even though Blackhorn recommends magnum primers I can not find magnum 209 primers anywhere so I used standard Winchester and Federal 209 primers and the gun fired without a hitch. I do not know what the heck is going on with primers, any 209s are hard to find here in Delaware or online but I had some from when I used to reload shotshells. Next time I’m at the range I’ll adjust the scope.

BTW, even though I’m from Delaware don’t blame me, I never voted for it ever in any capacity since I first voted in 1980! ;)

I’m also very impressed with the Blackhorn powder. Very impressed, it’s the first ML I’ve used it in. I shot 24 shots over two days and the 24th seemed to load the same as the second load. Very clean burning stuff.
I’m not sure if bullet to bore loading is possible for .50 cal but I’m going to look into it and if it is I’m going to develop a load for the MR Accura too at some point.

Bpav0

FNG
Looking to purchase and was leaning towards TC encore pro but this may have changed my plans

Longrifle

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Accura V2 LR also, and it's a sweet gun. I shoot the 260 Scorpion GT over 100 gr(volume) of Blackhorn. It groups well out to 200 yards, though I'm comfortable well beyond that. I've only taken whitetail and muleys with it, but I'd use the same combo on elk all day long.