Modifications to my Duplex TImberline 1

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I've gotten a lot of questions regarding how I was able to get my DT1 so light weight....so I made a video:)

Please keep in mind that cutting things off of your pack is not warrantied through Kifaru and you should make sure that you know what you're doing!

[video=youtube;afJT5I9nrlA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afJT5I9nrlA&list=UU2MuOrm7wc405ckuuLYA3nw&index=1&feature=plcp[/video]

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have cut plenty off of mine also, but only after weeks of fighting inside my head if I really wanted to put my knife to the pack. Apparently I did.....

stephen b

WKR
Great video. Aron- curious whether you cut out the hydration pouch of your pack? I am contemplating cutting mine out of my Longhunter- since I rarely put my dromedary in it, and honestly the big hydration pocket seems to be more in the way.

I also have cut a lot out of my long hunter and plan to do the same type of thing to my Duplex DT 2 that is coming next week.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I kept my hydration sleeve as I use it for water and put other stuff in the bottom. It is big enough for water and extra storage of items you don't use often.

swat8888

WKR
It would be nice if Kifaru would make the meat-shelf removable. If velcro straps are good enough on three sides I imagine they would work just fine if the rear stitching were removed and the identical velcro straps and plastic hooks were used. That way if anyone wanted to remove it they could and could use it at a later time in needed instead of cutting it out. Just my .02 cents, I'm hardcore about my weight but I just can't bring myself to start hacking up my pack.....yet.

bowuntr

WKR
Awesome Aron... I just got my pack the other day and this is exactly what I needed. There's nothin wrong with using someones hardcore experience to your benefit. Thanks buddy... can't wait to hit the backcountry with this thing... Ed F

Last edited:
I've "hacked" a similar amount do weight off my Barney's frame pack. As Aaron says... use it for a while, get your system dialed in, and THEN break out the razor and seam ripping tools. It's not something you want to hurry.

Also if you are a habitual gear trader, probably not a good idea. Somebody is always coming out with a "better" pack next year, and resale will suffer!

Yk

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Aron,

A couple things:

1. I can't see any Rokslide videos on my iPad. I went to Kifarutube to see what you have done. How come the videos won't work here?

2. What is the approximate cubic inches of the T1.5 you made? I assume it is a bit larger than the T2 as the snow collar has two sections and you only removed the very top section?

Gman

WKR
It would be cool if Kifaru would offer the less is more theory as options so all the major mods (i.e. belt off the LH lid, cutting out snow collar and divder) were all factory finished. Any thought to offering this?

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think if Kifaru did this, there would be the same three pack versions, then each of them would have two or three different combos. To much labor on their end and the price would go up. Plus these are real specific modifications to each hunter and you may not know what you want to modify until after you have the pack for a while. So I am guessing it will not be offered by Kifaru. It is just a razor sharp knife and lighter....

It definetly takes some pondering and Balls to start cutting on a new $700 pack but once you start its pretty easy, you have to fiqure that the way most of us hunt all the extra's are not really ever utilized anyways...

a3dhunter

WKR
2. What is the approximate cubic inches of the T1.5 you made? I assume it is a bit larger than the T2 as the snow collar has two sections and you only removed the very top section?

You end up with almost everything the same as the T2 with the exception of the circumference of the bottom of the T1 (which is larger than the T2), so you have more usable space inside the pack without it being too tall when fully loaded.
I believe the circumference at the bottom of the T2 for the sleeping bag compartment is around 31", whereas with the T1 it is about 37".
The new website does not list the spec dimensions like the old site did so I couldn't double check it.
So if you add 6" of circumference around the bottom you gain quite a bit when it comes to usable space. My sleeping bag/air pad/bivy sack (big agnes encampment bag, insulated air core pad, xpg bivy) fits nicely in the bottom of the T1, it would never fit in the T2 the same way.

Last edited:

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
You end up with almost everything the same as the T2 with the exception of the circumference of the bottom of the T1 (which is larger than the T2), so you have more usable space inside the pack without it being too tall when fully loaded. My sleeping bag/air pad/bivy sack (big agnes encampment bag, insulated air core pad, xpg bivy) fits nicely in the bottom of the T1, it would never fit in the T2 the same way.

That along with Aron's estimate should give me exactly what I need. I use a Big Agnes Deep Creek with a NeoAir Xtherm, and a Supertarp. Kryptex DT1 with my Christmas cash!

OP
Aron Snyder

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Hey Steve,

Give me a call if you wanna go over all the details of the packs and mods.

720-937-1418

JG358

WKR
You end up with almost everything the same as the T2 with the exception of the circumference of the bottom of the T1 (which is larger than the T2).

Pretty sure the middle and top circumference measurments are a bit bigger on the T1 as well.