Modifying my sleep system again: 2020

PlanoDano

FNG
Last year I lightened my sleep system and was not happy by the amount of comfort and sleep I gave up. This year I will gladly add 10 to 14 oz to my total system weight.

Changes to sleep system 2020

Bivy

KEEP
– Katabatic Bristlecone Bivy 7.5 oz

Protects the pad, will keep out bugs if necessary and can add about 10 degrees to the sleep system. What is not to like?

Pad

OUT
- Nemo Tensor Insulated short pad 12.6 oz

IN -- Nemo Tensor Insulated Regular Wide pad 21.2 oz

Decided I am more than willing to carry the extra 9 oz.

Pillow – going back to the Thermarest bag of strips of closed cell foam.

It is not that heavy but is relatively bulky. I try to replace it every year but I have found the pillow to be one of the most important items to my sleep system. Without the right pillow I suffer from neck aches, head aches and poor sleep.

Quilt

JRB Hudson River – Upgrade candidate, Quilt is over 10 years old and still going strong. This quilt is great for hammock camping but at 48 inches of width I believe an extra7 inches of width would benefit my ground sleeping system. Considering UCG Bandit-XL

Clarence

WKR
Might want to take a look at the nemo fillo Bello. Inflates/keeps moisture out of your pad, works as a dry sack, and stuff it with clothes for a pillow. Pretty comfortable pillow. Looks like you're pretty dialed.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

OP
P

PlanoDano

FNG
good idea, I have been carrying the bello but only using it for inflation.

Ehiggins

WKR
Take a look at the Sea to Summit Aeros premium pillow, it’s only 4 oz, packs down smaller than your fist and is really comfortable.

Also I second the UGQ XL quilt, I really like mine and makes for a great nights sleep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Poser

WKR
That’s a big weight jump on the pad, however, I had to ditch the 3/4 length pad a few years back as I couldn’t sleep well on them anymore.

I’m big fan of those Goosefeet Gear down pillow. I had made contracted with the sleeve option and I’ll stuff some clothes in their to I’ll it out the volume and firm it up. https://goosefeetgear.com/products/down-pillows/