Mold on deer meat

notchfir3

Lil-Rokslider
I have a mule deer hanging for 2 weeks...I didn't look at it for a couple of days and now I've noticed a little mold in places on it...was planning on butchering it this coming Saturday...I've left my deer this long many times with no problem...the weather has been cool...so is this meat ok??? Can I just cut it off and butcher? Thanks for advice....brian

jhm2023

WKR
Just cut it off and you're good to go. In the future try using citric acid (changes PH level to inhibit bacteria growth), keep it below 45 degrees (40 or colder is better), and have a fan on it to keep it dry. I hang all my critters for 1-2 weeks with no issues provided I can meet the requirements I mentioned.

Azone

WKR
White mold is your friend

Green mold has never killed any of the homemade salami makers I know that are to cheap to buy Bactoferm600

Black, blue, or red.....hopefully the dog doesn't die from it.

Wipe the affected areas off with some white vinegar and it will kill the mold. I've had white and a little bit of green mold before from hanging deer for a while and never suffered no ill affects. The other colors I mentioned I wouldn't screw around with, cut the affected areas off and chuck em.

slick

WKR
Does seem pretty suspect to have had a mule deer hanging for 2 weeks right now?

Not throwing stones, but would like to hear the OPs side of the story.

92xj

WKR
Does seem pretty suspect to have had a mule deer hanging for 2 weeks right now?

Not throwing stones, but would like to hear the OPs side of the story.

The OPs side of the story? What is the side of he story you're on?
Hell, there's not even a story being told here.
He's hanging meat he has. Since when does the time of year to process make someone suspect?
I'm processing duck this weekend, going to call me suspect as well?
I'm even going to hang the ducks for a few days.

92xj

WKR
Get defensive much? Just said I wasn’t throwing stones.

Just curious what you find suspect about the OP and want to know what story you think is being told as you stated you are curious about the OPs side of a story.

slick

WKR
Why I find it suspect is because he says he has a “mule deer” not a quarter, not a half, not de-boned meat, but a mule deer. I’m not aware of any season that extends this late, but I’m also not aware of everything.

You’re right, he very well could have froze quarters and has them hanging up for aging. That’s why I asked what his side of the story is?

ljalberta

WKR
Should be fine! Robby wrote a great article on aging deer if you have time to give it a look. I believe (could be wrong) that mold can be a regular occurrence with the longer ages.

I don't see where the OP said he hunted this deer in March, so not sure about those questions. Nice to see the forum police are out. I've know a few people who have processed meat in the spring...

slick

WKR
Just asking a question is all. Glad you came two came to the rescue.

slick

WKR
..yeah wasn’t meaning to do that.

Hopefully he got it processed and is enjoying steaks

ohoopee

WKR
We owned an abattoir when I was young. I remember certain clients would intentionally let mold grow on the hanging beef. When they thought it had aged sufficiently, the meat would be cleaned, trimmed and packaged for the client.