Monarch 5 12x42

Looking at picking up a pair of these for 2013. On a budget and these seem like they would fit the bill. I don't have a good spotter so I think these will make up for it.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Generally speaking, when it comes to high magnification binoculars, the budget binocular lines that perform very well in 8x version or even 10x version really start to lose performance when you get to the 12x and up magnifications.

I haven't seen the Monarch 5s in 12x, but I would want to check them out before I bought.

Remember also that they are going to have a relatively small 3.5mm exit pupil, and won't be the brightest in low light.

OP
WyoBowhunter21
Thanks! I didn't even think about that. I will look more into the 10s. I like them better anyways. I am going to try and get some swaros but I doubt I will afford them for a while even at cost. Haha. I just need a pair that will work for a year or so while I get on my feet with a job after I graduate. Right now my last pair broke.

OP
WyoBowhunter21
I would say max max 400. I would like to try and stay around the 250 range so that I can still save up for a nice set. Someday I would like to get some swaros. I know thats not a good budget for binos but I would like a descent pair to last a year or so. I have been buying cheap pairs for the last few years and I just want to buy a pair that wont break every year but will last more than one year. Just enough to save some money for a GREAT pair. My hunting consists of antelope on the prairie, mule deer and elk in the high country with some on the desert.