Money Spent?

None of this has to be as expensive as guys make it. My kit is probably good for 10 years and I could buy it all again and still not be all in for the price of Sitka and brand new bows.
A lot of guys get way caught up in camo patterns and whatnot, not realizing that it makes next to no difference for most hunts.

Another thing to realize is that Sitka, Kuiu, First Lite et al are all riding on the coattails of mountaineering companies that were manufacturing this gear long before they were ever a thing. They copied it, slapped a camo pattern on it and marked it WAY up. I bring this up so people can(hopefully) realize you can get the same performance out of a cheaper garment. The only thing I've found that wasn't duplicatable was hip vents - I looked all over for those in pants outside of hunting and its unobtainium so I had to pay the troll toll and buy some Kuiu pants.

Laramie

WKR
Outside of tags and gas, I spend very little. I have acquired things through years as cheap as possible and honestly don't think I have spent over 5k on gear in 35 years of hunting. Take care of your equipment and buy what you need, not what some advertisement tells you you need. That said, to each their own. I have no problem with some I know that spend thousands every year to have the latest and greatest.

This year I am over $10,000.

In my lifetime I have spend hundreds of thousands of dollars.

My gear buying has ended. Thank god. Costs going forward are pretty much gas and food and tags. I have a lifetime of gear to choose from. I probably spend less than $200 a year on gear.

My wife hunts also so I spend double and she is always getting some new piece of gear.....Thanks god she doesn't have a taste for Sitka and honestly, I wish underarmor would go out of business.

DooleyVT

Lil-Rokslider
What ever the dollar value is it's by far the cheapest and most rewarding addiction I've ever had.

BigDog00

WKR
I didn't read through all the replies, but its likely quite a bit over the years, like 5 digits easy. Some of this was upgrading equipment I already had though. If I were starting fresh, I would buy the majority of my gear used. A lot of people will use their gear for a hunt or two and put it up for sale here. Aside from boots and underwear you could get some great gear at a pretty heavy discount.

My annual spending now has leveled off and I really don't spend much on gear. I've got everything pretty well dialed and am happy where I'm at. Now it generally consists of fuel, food, tags, and the occasional new call or two. That still probably adds up to over a grand each year when it's all said and done.

southLA

WKR
I’ll throw an estimate out:

Gun setup: $1k
Binos: $2k
Spotter: $1k
Tripod: $400
Sleep setup: $400
Tent: $400
Boots: $300
Pack: $400
Clothing: $600 (this could go triple easy).
Misc (kill kit, stove, etc): $1k

Gear total: $7.5k

Tags vary… out of state likely $1k.
Plus travel expenses.

It’s not a cheap initial investment if you start with higher end gear. But then just tags and travel (if you are disciplined enough not to try new gear….)

Edit: you could easily double that estimate with Uber high end stuff. I’d say this cost is for very good stuff but not the “best”.
This is about right for me. Just licenses and apps are like $6-700 a year plus tag(s). Luckily i'm satisfied with my gear...for now.

Between guns, bows, optics, gear, preference points, tags, and travel costs I would guesstimate it to be in $80,000 ballpark. Makes me sick the more I actually think about it.

HuntHarder

WKR
Classified Approved
Who adds up the costs of things when the experiences are priceless? Buy what you can afford, do not let it affect your normal day to day or retirement and enjoy life. You might get hit by a comet tomorrow and have never lived your dreams. Life balance is KEY, cost is irrelevant if you die early, or you work your life away, save every cent and your body gives out on you. I see plenty of guys at work who have $$$$ but their bodies are shot, and the odds of them enjoying any physical activities are slim. Since you asked tho, lol, Just this year I am well over 20k on hunting related expenses. Just money, and I will make more tomorrow.

tdhanses

WKR
My brother and I have added up just what we had with us on backpack hunts before and it was a bit surprising.
Yeah my buddy and I did that and then looked for muggers in the woods. Amazing what the value is of what we individually have on us but most of us have accumulated this stuff over many years.

Super tag

WKR
It’s nice to have great gear. There are some exceptions, but generally you do get what you pay for. Personally I will spend what it takes to be comfortable, warm and dry. In extreme conditions the best gear is essential. Nice glass does make a difference as well, the Best costs more and the differences are noticeable and worth the price. Rifles, not so much, I’ve hunted with a 250 dollar rifle and a 10k rifle and the animals are just as dead, didn’t matter.
Spend what you can and enjoy what you have regardless of what it is, live life while you can.

A couple buddies and I started adding up what was on our backs once during a backpack hunt…it adds up quickly! But to me it worth it. This is what I love to do. I’m pretty much done buying gear though except for a few things I still need for a sheep hunt next year. Going forward it’s gas and tags. Guns is a different story, I love guns so if I get the itch for a new one I’ll buy it. My hunting stuff isn’t bought with money from my regular salary though it’s all side job money. Part of my side job money goes towards family vacations so to me it’s the best of both worlds, we do a family trip somewhere every year and my hunting trips and gear is paid for.

roymunson

WKR
Add all this in with reloading and trying to created a whitetail hunting place with foodplots, stands, blinds, tractors, brushhogs, no till drills, and all the things that come with that.

It motivates you to get up and get to work.

Bought a scope from a member on here few days ago.
That was my first deal on here and 700 bucks is total money spent on this awesome forum.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
It all depends. I’m had a buddy who was a glass half empty type, according to his algorithm I’d need to factor in all my hunting gear, boat, reloading supplies etc and that would be my cost.

For me, I pretty much consider gas and any gear or travel specifically for a hunt.

roymunson

WKR
It all depends. I’m had a buddy who was a glass half empty type, according to his algorithm I’d need to factor in all my hunting gear, boat, reloading supplies etc and that would be my cost.

For me, I pretty much consider gas and any gear or travel specifically for a hunt.
I think some people fail to realize the entertainment or enjoyment value of this. They'd never bat an eye spending 5-10k to go to Disney and come home with a couple snapshots and gut rot.

I have been taking my kids as they get older, the land I bought is appreciating, and I guarantee I enjoy it more than the guy who's hobby is friday night dirt track racing.

Doesn't always have to make money.