Mono bullet experience in slower cartridges?

bobinmi

WKR
I really like the way that the solid copper stuff performs but I've always sent them from speedier cartridges (ie. 6.5-06, 6.5prc, 300wsm)
I had a soft point bullet shit the bed spectacularly a couple years ago and I've been debating on switching to monos in my 9.3x62. I'm sure that the 250 e-tip or ttsx will do fine, but I'd like to hear some experiences if they're out there.

Low velocity + monometal bullets = long runners

unless you are using one of the bullets designed for low velocities or shooting the animals in the CNS where it doesn’t matter what bullet you use.

hiker270

WKR
Many of the Mono bullet manufacturers have velocity charts and some have pics of bullet expansion at different fps. A lot of the pics I have seen show little expansion below 2000 fps. If I were gonna use mono bullets it would be for shoulder shots that break bones and put the animal down. Some states you have to use mono bullets. Some hunters swear by mono bullets and some swear at them.

H80Hunter

WKR
I had a lot better results with the 80 grain TTSX out of a 243 (box velocity of like 3350 ffps) vs a 6.5 creed (box velocity says 2850 u think).

Macintosh

WKR
I dont know that cartridge, but many of the manufacturers make bullets designed specifically for very slow cartridges. Think muzzle loaders and pistol cartridges, where in both cases muzzle velocity usually starts below the minimum expansion velocity that is specified for a centerfire rifle cartridge…and yet these bullets expand reliably. So 2000fps or 1800 or 2200 or whatever is clearly not a rule that applies equally to alll mono bullets.

No idea if such a bullet exists in that caliber, but I’d start by contacting manufactorers to see what is out there and what their velocity recommendation is. You can adjust it by 10% or whatever you want to be safe, but thats a better starting point than getting a generic recommendation based entirely on bullets designed for +\- 3000fps mv cartridges.

I had a lot better results with the 80 grain TTSX out of a 243 (box velocity of like 3350 ffps) vs a 6.5 creed (box velocity says 2850 u think).
Could you say more about your experiences between these? What animals/ranges/results did you have with each caliber/bullet choice?

z987k

WKR
I really like the way that the solid copper stuff performs but I've always sent them from speedier cartridges (ie. 6.5-06, 6.5prc, 300wsm)
I had a soft point bullet shit the bed spectacularly a couple years ago and I've been debating on switching to monos in my 9.3x62. I'm sure that the 250 e-tip or ttsx will do fine, but I'd like to hear some experiences if they're out there.
Maker bullets makes a lot of subsonic copper stuff and does make stuff for slower things like 45-70, but I don't think they make .366 bullets. Hammer makes a couple .366 bullets for the 9.3x62.

H80Hunter

WKR
Could you say more about your experiences between these? What animals/ranges/results did you have with each caliber/bullet choice?

Pretty much all whitetail hunting inside 200 yards in Wisconsin. But the 80 grain TTSX at 243 speeds seemed to make a nice wound and usually exit depending on angle. The 120 TTSX seemed to exit as well but just didn’t seem to leave as good of a wound cavity or blood trail. It’s not a huge sample but I’ve definitely killed 5-10 deer with each bullet and it seems like a clear pattern anecdotally.

Maker bullets makes a lot of subsonic copper stuff and does make stuff for slower things like 45-70, but I don't think they make .366 bullets. Hammer makes a couple .366 bullets for the 9.3x62.
Been wondering about a subsonic hunting bullet for suppressed 45-70. Might need to load some of those Maker 400gr for the bait station this year.