Mono Hot Springs, CA- any good deer up there?

Hi guys, new guy on the site, but not a new hunter. Typically hunt Wishon area of D7, and had some luck prior to all the fires up there over the last few years. Haven't seen any legal bucks in the area in the last 3 years. My wife loves the Mono Hot Springs area, and I was wondering if it's worth fighting off the hippies to try and hunt deer up there? As always, not looking for anyone's spot, just if it's worth my time. Thanks.

Tim

Hi Tim. I’ve spent a lot of time in that unit. There are not many deer in that area. It’s pretty rocky without much feed. But they do migrate down through that general area. At the same time, because it’s not where the deer herd hangs out, you will have less pressure and the potential for bigger bucks. The hunters I’ve seen in that area are just driving up and down Kaiser pass road. I don’t think you can go wrong bringing your gun. I just would not expect to see as many deer as you do up around Wishon.

OP
Trbrincefield
Hi Tim. I’ve spent a lot of time in that unit. There are not many deer in that area. It’s pretty rocky without much feed. But they do migrate down through that general area. At the same time, because it’s not where the deer herd hangs out, you will have less pressure and the potential for bigger bucks. The hunters I’ve seen in that area are just driving up and down Kaiser pass road. I don’t think you can go wrong bringing your gun. I just would not expect to see as many deer as you do up around Wishon.
Thanks for the reply. Maybe I'll just go scout it in july, see if there's any sign.

OP
Trbrincefield
I've been applying for california deer tags for only a couple years, so not much chance. I'll give it a shot though.