Monocular

In the search for a higher power monocular. I got the Vortex 8x36 which is a nice little piece of optic, but I have been searching for a 12x or even 15x. My right eye is basically blind, born that way, so I use a monocular for everything. Midwest deer hunting, and out west like you all use your binos. I got a Vortex Spotter, just wanting to find something in the middle. A got a few Hawke scopes and they are super nice for the $$ in my opinion and they used to make a 15x Monocular which would be perfect but just can't find one anymore.

I've looked around at most all the manufacturers and just not finding a higher power monocular..........Market just isn't there for them obviously, but for us blind in one eye guys it would be nice. Anyone know of anything? I also really don't want the little compact spotters either. Something that fits in my bino harness like my current piece would be nice. Thanks.

JakeSCH

WKR
I typically have only seen 8x monocular and everything with higher power is a spotter. My guess is the reason is there is not many above 8x is the difficulty in holding it steady compared to a bino / lack of market interest.

Just curious, why not compact spotters? if you are willing to consider compact spotters (i know you said you don't want one) I would take a look at the Maven S2. It has great glass on it and not overly huge and I think there is a used one for sale in the forum.

has530

Lil-Rokslider
The Maven S2 is probably perfect for what you are looking for, but if its out of budget there are a handful of angled mini spotters like the celestron hummingbird or Delta titanium ED that would probably suit you well.

TheGDog

WKR
Dude, get the Bushnell Ultra Legend 10x42 HD! The glass is nice and sharp and it's already got a threaded mount on the bottom of it for tripod use. Real strong belt clip on it too. Not gonna fall off by accident.

That monocular is what showed me that the first RedField Rampage spotter I'd purchase was junk as far as sharpness of image. I keep that monocular in my truck all the time.

About the only negative is if you drop it on the focusing knob, it *can* cause it to bend slightly which can make it faintly squeek a little when rotating the knob after it's bent slightly. But that's my bad, not the devices bad.

TheGDog

WKR
If you could afford it.. sounds like that Mavin S.2 12-27x56 would totally handle everything for you.

OP
KS2MOHUNTER
Thanks for the replies. That Maven is slick but it’s gonna be too Long for the Bino harness. The Bushnell is gonna be dang near the same as what I got although i prob would of went that route had I seen it before my vortex.

I am not against a compact spotter but I would like for it to fit in my harness if possible. The leupold 10-20 compact looks pretty slick and also looked at the Hawks Endurance compact spotter. Just wish I could put my hands on them to see the real size other then dimensions on web. Thanks for the input. That maven might be the ticket and just be used when sitting and glassing, and keep the vortex mono in the harnesses

Hondo

WKR
Check out the Vortex 15x50 monocular. I have one of the earlier "Mountain Scope" models I use as a compact spotter.

I recently got my son the R/T Recon version. The ranging reticle works pretty good for game and both versions have nice mounting options.

I wouldn't pay full retail ($599) for one but I have seen many pop up for well less than half that.

TheGDog

WKR
Check out the Vortex 15x50 monocular. I have one of the earlier "Mountain Scope" models I use as a compact spotter.

I recently got my son the R/T Recon version. The ranging reticle works pretty good for game and both versions have nice mounting options.

I wouldn't pay full retail ($599) for one but I have seen many pop up for well less than half that.
I was just about to mention that one also!

I have the Bushnell Legend Ultra HD 10x42 monocular. For the price (around $200) it is extremely clear glass and is easy to hold. I got one with a ranging reticle to teach my son how to range targets without him offending anyone's tender feelings by looking at things in our neighborhood through a rifle scope. I think the monocular comes without a reticle as well.

TheGDog

WKR
Thanks for the replies. That Maven is slick but it’s gonna be too Long for the Bino harness. The Bushnell is gonna be dang near the same as what I got although i prob would of went that route had I seen it before my vortex.

I am not against a compact spotter but I would like for it to fit in my harness if possible. The leupold 10-20 compact looks pretty slick and also looked at the Hawks Endurance compact spotter. Just wish I could put my hands on them to see the real size other then dimensions on web. Thanks for the input. That maven might be the ticket and just be used when sitting and glassing, and keep the vortex mono in the harnesses
The Vortex 8x36 one sucks! I returned it and then got that Bushnell. The Bushnell... you can hold it up... AND.. focus it... with just one hand if you need to. You can't with the Vortex one. The focus ring is VERY stiff.

Hondo

WKR
The view out on the 15x50 is better than the 8x36 but it has the same stiff focusing ring. I forgot about that until you mentioned it.