Monster Wake Limbs on a V3 31?

Hi everyone!

Does anyone happen to know if the Monster Wake 80lb limbs will fit a Mathews V3 31? I am currently pulling 79.6lb at 28.5in but I have seen some guys getting upwards of 85lb out of their bows with Wake limbs. I'm currently shooting 515gr at 275fps on the nose. I'd really like to see if I can get that number up over 280.

Thanks in advance!

Kularrow

Lil-Rokslider

This dude got a 476 grain arrow up to 292fps with a 83.5 pound Wake Limbs on a Triax. 27 inch draw.

OP
B
Thanks for sharing! I think it's definitely doable but I am wondering if they will fit.

OR Archer

WKR
Put two turns in each of your cables. It’ll put up a few pounds and probably exceed 280fps.

OP
B
Okay. I may give that a try and see how it works. Being that you seem a little more knowledgeable on the subject than myself, if I could just twist the cabes a couple of times why do guys buy new limbs?

OR Archer

WKR
A lot of guys do that with models that don’t have the switch weight cams. I’ve done it on some Halon 32. With the switch weight mods it’s not uncommon to come in heavier like yours without any modification so adding just a couple of twists won’t hurt. Just remember to always recheck your timing after adding the twists.

Only problem with the switchweight models is how much serving they have. Twisting them up should get them to settle pretty quick, but it will need to settle into the served area.

Put a few shots on it before you are checking timing.

Zac

WKR
If your arrow is flying perfectly right now than this is idiotic. 5 fps is only going to make you feel warm and fuzzy inside, it won't contribute to any meaningful trajectory contributions. It will definitely hurt you if it results in even a slight left tear.

OR Archer

WKR
If your arrow is flying perfectly right now than this is idiotic. 5 fps is only going to make you feel warm and fuzzy inside, it won't contribute to any meaningful trajectory contributions. It will definitely hurt you if it results in even a slight left tear.
There’s nothing idiotic about wanting to achieve a certain goal for your setup to help build confidence in it and tailor it to his own liking.

Zac

WKR
There’s nothing idiotic about wanting to achieve a certain goal for your setup to help build confidence in it and tailor it to his own liking.
Has he shot through paper? Has he bare shafted? Has he shot broadheads with fieldpoints? These are the questions that should be asked. If all of this is perfect than should he mess with his setup? My assumption is that he hasn't done any of this. He simply shot through a chronograph and wanted to hit a meaningless number. My guess is he's got alot of work to do before he goes trying to learn how to switch limbs and turn cables. Right now he's working from the front backwards.

Last edited:
OP
B
Has he shot through paper? Has he bare shafted? Has he shot broadheads with fieldpoints? These are the questions that should be asked. If all of this is perfect than should he mess with his setup? My assumption is that he hasn't done any of this. He simply shot through a chronograph and wanted to hit a meaningless number. My guess is he's got alot of work to do before he goes trying to learn how to switch limbs and turn cables. Right now he's working from the front backwards.
Alright @Zac. Before reading this understand I am not trying to be a turd but merely stating my case after you came in REAL strong for no reason.

Point taken but you’re wrong on all of your assumptions except one. I have shot this bow almost daily since I got it in January. Paper, bare, broadheads(multiple), field points. To add to that, Ive shot multiple vane configurations and currently shooting 4 fletch heat vanes. With them it’s bullet holes shot after shot and tight groups with bh’s and fp’s. It’s tuned great. Most fine tuned ive ever had a bow but I like to tinker. You are however right on the assumption that I ran it through a chrono and saw a number that didn’t thrill me. So what? What’s the difference in this and a guy gearing up his corvette to run a 1/4 mile in no time flat, that’s never going to see a race track? The car is already running fast as hell and is tuned to do so from the factory. Is that “idiotic” too? The reason for asking about limbs is to avoid altering the cables. How else do you suppose someone become educated on a topic other than asking others that may know more than he does or may have done it before?

Alright @Zac. Before reading this understand I am not trying to be a turd but merely stating my case after you came in REAL strong for no reason.

Point taken but you’re wrong on all of your assumptions except one. I have shot this bow almost daily since I got it in January. Paper, bare, broadheads(multiple), field points. To add to that, Ive shot multiple vane configurations and currently shooting 4 fletch heat vanes. With them it’s bullet holes shot after shot and tight groups with bh’s and fp’s. It’s tuned great. Most fine tuned ive ever had a bow but I like to tinker. You are however right on the assumption that I ran it through a chrono and saw a number that didn’t thrill me. So what? What’s the difference in this and a guy gearing up his corvette to run a 1/4 mile in no time flat, that’s never going to see a race track? The car is already running fast as hell and is tuned to do so from the factory. Is that “idiotic” too? The reason for asking about limbs is to avoid altering the cables. How else do you suppose someone become educated on a topic other than asking others that may know more than he does or may have done it before?

What he is trying to say is you are taking a setup that like you said, is perfectly in tune, then altering.

Picking up 5-6 fps might not matter, might make your shaft a little weak.

It's like the guy in the corvette trying to shave .04 seconds off his 60 foot, but now his tires aren't getting enough traction.

If you have a setup that is working, a lot of times it's best to leave it alone and do work.

Now, I'm not saying I don't go down these rabbit holes myself. But it seems like social media is creating this idea that everyone needs these 80#+ bows now, when most just need to spend more time shooting and working on themselves, not their bows.

Not aiming this at you bama, just giving context.

Reactions: Zac
OP
B
Thanks for your response. I like the idea but I don’t know that I’m crazy about doing anything to the cables. Funny thing though. I called Mathews yesterday afternoon. The tech support guy told me it wasnt possible then and it’s not possible now. I was thinking to myself, “For that to be the case I sure have seen a bunch of them floating around so how can that be? There would be bows blowing to pieces everywhere.”

Thanks for your response. I like the idea but I don’t know that I’m crazy about doing anything to the cables. Funny thing though. I called Mathews yesterday afternoon. The tech support guy told me it wasnt possible then and it’s not possible now. I was thinking to myself, “For that to be the case I sure have seen a bunch of them floating around so how can that be? There would be bows blowing to pieces everywhere.”

You can do alot with bows if you get measurements and can figure a few things out.

But no way is a company going to encourage you to alter their product. Too much liability. They don't want the consumer to even press the bow, needs to be done by a properly trained tech at a pro shop.

Reactions: Zac
OP
B
What he is trying to say is you are taking a setup that like you said, is perfectly in tune, then altering.

Picking up 5-6 fps might not matter, might make your shaft a little weak.

It's like the guy in the corvette trying to shave .04 seconds off his 60 foot, but now his tires aren't getting enough traction.

If you have a setup that is working, a lot of times it's best to leave it alone and do work.

Now, I'm not saying I don't go down these rabbit holes myself. But it seems like social media is creating this idea that everyone needs these 80#+ bows now, when most just need to spend more time shooting and working on themselves, not their bows.

Not aiming this at you bama, just giving context.
No offense taken. I do understand where he’s coming from and admittedly those are things I should have put in the original post. How he went about it is another thing entirely lol

Picking up that speed isn’t going to make anything any more dead than it already is with a well placed shot. I know I’m not going to be able to beat an animal jumping the string.

I do agree there has been a large resurgence in heavy poundages because of guys like Joe Rogan and Cam Hanes. I just figure if the extra poundage can be shot very comfortably and aids in me being more efficient as a hunter then why not? I guess I also just enjoy trying to maximize my performance. If I’m at the top, I’m at the top.

OP
B
You can do alot with bows if you get measurements and can figure a few things out.

But no way is a company going to encourage you to alter their product. Too much liability. They don't want the consumer to even press the bow, needs to be done by a properly trained tech at a pro shop.
. I completely agree with that. I wasn’t looking for “oh yeah! Here’s how you do it…” I was just thinking he’d say something like, “yes it can be done with various modifications but it will not only void your warranty but you will also experience xyz adverse effects”

No offense taken. I do understand where he’s coming from and admittedly those are things I should have put in the original post. How he went about it is another thing entirely lol

Picking up that speed isn’t going to make anything any more dead than it already is with a well placed shot. I know I’m not going to be able to beat an animal jumping the string.

I do agree there has been a large resurgence in heavy poundages because of guys like Joe Rogan and Cam Hanes. I just figure if the extra poundage can be shot very comfortably and aids in me being more efficient as a hunter then why not? I guess I also just enjoy trying to maximize my performance. If I’m at the top, I’m at the top.

Yeah, he came in a little hot.

I do sometimes as well, and a lot of times things in text don't come across the same as you mean.

I do prefer to be at 280 or higher, so I'm with you there. I have shot the heavy draw weight, I don't much anymore. I'll shoot a lighter arrow to get my speed where I want it. Ain't had one spit back at me yet.

OP
B
Yeah, he came in a little hot.

I do sometimes as well, and a lot of times things in text don't come across the same as you mean.

I do prefer to be at 280 or higher, so I'm with you there. I have shot the heavy draw weight, I don't much anymore. I'll shoot a lighter arrow to get my speed where I want it. Ain't had one spit back at me yet.
I figured it was one of those lost in the text kind of things. Our language is very contextual so it happens a lot. One of the many disadvantages to texts and emails. That’s why I tried to clarify that my response wasn’t trying to be a turd. I’m not here to make enemies or piss someone off.
I do know it can be done with a slightly lighter arrow and at the end of the day that may be what I have to do. If I went a hair lighter I might could bump up my FOC and have a win, win on my hands. I just wanted to ask the question before I went lighter if I didn’t have to do so. Ya know what I mean? I had a guy tell me one time when I was a kid, “if you ask a question you’re a fool for 5 minutes. If you never ask a question you’re a fool for a lifetime.” More times than not, asking the question helps lol