Montana 2020 Elk Guided Hunt Recommendations?

Crusader

WKR
Hey guys. I have a buddy who (along with another hunter) wants to do a guided rifle hunt in Montana next fall. He's doing some research into outfitters and I told him I'd check this forum, knowing there must be a number of you guys who could offer some suggestions. Their budget is around $6k each (2 hunters). They'd be driving from Missouri. My buddy has killed a big bull in Utah but the other hunter has never elk hunted. For him this is a once in a lifetime deal so I would imagine he'd be after a big one (though aren't we all, LOL?). Anyway, do you have any experienced-based recommendations to offer?

Thanks in advance!

OP
Crusader

Crusader

WKR
I believe they are looking for a wilderness hunt, wanting the horse pack in, backcountry camp, full experience.

Deadfall

WKR
Sun canyon is wilderness. We hunt out of Bob marshall. One camp is 14 ish miles and the other is 20 ish miles.

Deadfall

WKR
Cant guarantee they kill an elk or deer. Can guarantee an excellent experience with a outfit that takes great pride in everything we do. Usually hunts are booked a year in advance. Under 6k. If they are looking for a good wilderness hunt, check out sun canyon lodge. Dont take my word for it, they should definitely call references, biologist, and do the research.

jsb

FNG
40% sounds inflated to me, at least for wilderness hunts in Montana these days. Outfitter I know has had all clients skunked more than once the past few seasons. Sad situation.

If I was hunting Montana or Idaho, I sure wouldn’t be hunting the wilderness where the success rates are low.

It’s sad that outfitters sell glorified camping trips and it’s just as sad people who pay for outfitters often treat it like buying an animal.

Wapiti1

WKR
For a wilderness hunt, the mentioned Sun Canyon Lodge has a good reputation and has been there a long while.

Success is what it is. Not knowing the details makes it hard to judge. If 5 guys all wanted 300"+ bulls and they held out, then only 2 went home with elk. That doesn't mean the same thing as only 2 saw elk to shoot and went home with raghorns. Due diligence and calling all of the references is important.

Others to consider for a private/public land hunt are Northern Rockies Outfitters (Rich Birdsell), Big Racks of Montana (Michael Beattie), Montana Hunting Co (Rob Arnaud).

MT Hunting Co has a couple of Turner ranches, and they are expensive, but they also have several smaller ranches that fit your friends budgets.

Jeremy

KHNC

WKR
Well, stay far away from NW Montana public land during rifle season. And especially far from Cody Carr's Hunting Adventures. lol.

Trial153

WKR
If you want to fork up the money for a ranch hunt then do it. Your paying for the exclusivity. However dont think your going to pay half price and go on wilderness hunt and have the same expectations as ranch hunt.

I know a couple outfitters really well, both really good guys that work hard and still find the time to hunt for themselves. THe story is always the same from them....elk numbers are down, but usually the limiting factor in getting a client on elk is the client themselves.

Deadfall

WKR
There are piles of factors that go into success rates. Look up state averages. You will find them to be very low.

There are many scab outfitters around. Seems like more are popping up every year. As suggested earlier, do your research. Guided hunts aren't for everyone and not all guided hunts are the same. I've been at this along time. I hunt all over the west for myself when not guiding. Colorado, wyoming, Idaho and montana. There is good hunting to be had all over. DIY and guided

There are some really well established outfits that offer a wonderful service. Talk to biologists, game wardens, and other outlets for information.
Whether you go guided or diy doesnt matter. What matters is that you keep hunting and enjoying the great outdoors.
Keep in mind that some folks are never happy no matter what.