Montana 2021

OP
H

hobbes

WKR
I suppose that I'm lucky that I made it home when I did. The low tire turned into a flat tire sitting in the driveway. I've taken the tire to a tire shop and could see what looked like a finishing nailer nail sticking out of it. The tires don't have a lot of wear but appear to be whatever cheap tire the factory put on it. I may need to replace everything if they can't fix this tire. It seems like I hear that more and more from tire shops....."Oh we can't fix that. There's too much wear to replace just one. You'll need a whole new set."

However, if I had to make a guess, the tires are junk.

When I bought my camper I took it to a buddy with a tire shop and he recommended some tires and to replace all 4 I did a lot of miles on those tires for 5 years with no problems. The new trailer I haven’t upgraded the tires yet because I can’t go anywhere but I will when I start travelling again.

OP
H

hobbes

WKR
When I bought my camper I took it to a buddy with a tire shop and he recommended some tires and to replace all 4 I did a lot of miles on those tires for 5 years with no problems. The new trailer I haven’t upgraded the tires yet because I can’t go anywhere but I will when I start travelling again.
The current tires are a 6 ply. The tire shop has an 8 ply that's priced reasonably. I'll probably change out next spring.

OP
H

hobbes

WKR
I just got back to camper. I did a lot of hiking in the dark this evening. I got close to a bull today. He bugled quite a bit. In the end it didn't work out in my favor. I'll give some details and photos tomorrow. I'm beat right now and need to work tomorrow.
IMG_20210914_200450794.jpg

OP
H

hobbes

WKR
I picked up and moved to a new area on Monday, so yesterday was my first day to hunt it this year. I started in the bottom, hiked to the end of the drainage trying to get a response. I'd planned on finding elk here, hunting, then hiking back out the same way. Since I didn't,I decided to hike to the top and hike a trail across the top that would being me back down past my truck then hike the road to my truck. I would call off into the opposite side.

In the bottom:
IMG_20210914_074702638.jpg

IMG_20210914_081612411_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210914_090302311.jpg

I didn't really look at the distance until this morning and it measures out to 10.4 miles with about a mile of it being my sidetrack for elk. Most of the 10 mile loop is decent trail but steep in some places. Some of it was old horse trail turned to game trail that's been blown in. In other words, it was a long hike. If not for hearing the bull at 11:50 and spending the afternoon on him, I'd have been at the truck by 2 o'clock. Instead, I got to the truck at 10 PM.
IMG_20210914_105113375.jpg

IMG_20210914_105251233.jpg

At 11:50 AM, I got a response from a bull in this hole. "Well damn." You can't walk away from a bull that willingly bugles from his bed. It's hard to tell in the photo but it was between 800 to 1000 feet drop to the bull.
IMG_20210914_114912015_HDR~2.jpg

I dropped part way to him hoping that he was lonely or wanting a fight. He wasn't budging so I got closer and only used cow calls. I could not get close enough that I thought bugles would bring him in and he seemed to like the cow talk. Here are a few lazy bugles from him when I was still above him. The cow sounds are really loud since I'm holding the phone and recording.

I eventually dropped down even with him and stayed on top of my ridge. The face that was directly across was too open and the wind was all over the place. It was apparently not getting to him because he didn't budge all afternoon. He'd occasionally bugle on his own and I'd remind him that I was there every half hour or so. Occasionally he'd hit back with a really throaty bugle that I wish I'd recorded. There was the occasionally squeally bugle that always seemed a little farther left so I assumed there was a young bull in there somewhere too

I think he got on his feet between 5:30 and 6 and I kept drifting lower on my ridge trying to avoid the shifting thermals. He was within 175 yards and would really get going at times. Around 7, I decided to move as low as possible to his left and come up under him, but I think a cow spotted me and moved them up the drainage some. The never ran and I'd occasionally hear him make some noise but the bugles were over. While trying to decide what to do a bull showed up to my left at 45 yards and raked a tree for a second then started moving father left downwind. He was a young bull but I'd have zipped an arrow through without hesitation but it was too thick where he came in and he eventually winded me and ran back towards the herd.

That more or less ended the hunt and the next 2.5 hours was spent climbing out of the hole and hiking the trail in the dark. Long day to end that way, but still a pretty good afternoon.

IMG_20210914_195232176_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210914_201333836.jpg

IMG_20210914_202138751.jpg

Last edited:
I picked up and moved to a new area on Monday, so yesterday was my first day to hunt it this year. I started in the bottom, hiked to the end of the drainage trying to get a response. I'd planned on finding elk here, hunting, then hiking back out the same way. Since I didn't,I decided to hike to the top and hike a trail across the top that would being me back down past my truck then hike the road to my truck. I would call off into the opposite side.

In the bottom:
View attachment 326599

View attachment 326600

View attachment 326601

I didn't really look at the distance until this morning and it measures out to 10.4 miles with about a mile of it being my sidetrack for elk. Most of the 10 mile loop is decent trail but steep in some places. Some of it was old horse trail turned to game trail that's been blown in. In other words, it was a long hike. If not for hearing the bull at 11:50 and spending the afternoon on him, I'd have been at the truck by 2 o'clock. Instead, I got to the truck at 10 PM.
View attachment 326602

View attachment 326603

At 11:50 AM, I got a response from a bull in this hole. "Well damn." You can't walk away from a bull that willingly bugles from his bed. It's hard to tell in the photo but it was between 800 to 1000 feet drop to the bull.
View attachment 326598

I dropped part way to him hoping that he was lonely or wanting a fight. He wasn't budging so I got closer and only used cow calls. I could not get close enough that I thought bugles would bring him in and he seemed to like the cow talk. Here are a few lazy bugles from him when I was still above him. The cow sounds are really loud since I'm holding the phone and recording.

I eventually dropped down even with him and stayed on top of my ridge. The face that was directly across was too open and the wind was all over the place. It was apparently not getting to him because he didn't budge all afternoon. He'd occasionally bugle on his own and I'd remind him that I was there every half hour or so. Occasionally he'd hit back with a really throaty bugle that I wish I'd recorded. There was the occasionally squeally bugle that always seemed a little farther left so I assumed there was a young bull in there somewhere too

I think he got on his feet between 5:30 and 6 and I kept drifting lower on my ridge trying to avoid the shifting thermals. He was within 175 yards and would really get going at times. Around 7, I decided to move as low as possible to his left and come up under him, but I think a cow spotted me and moved them up the drainage some. The never ran and I'd occasionally hear him make some noise but the bugles were over. While trying to decide what to do a bull showed up to my left at 45 yards and raked a tree for a second then started moving father left downwind. He was a young bull but I'd have zipped an arrow through without hesitation but it was too thick where he came in and he eventually winded me and ran back towards the herd.

That more or less ended the hunt and the next 2.5 hours was spent climbing out of the hole and hiking the trail in the dark. Long day to end that way, but still a pretty good afternoon.

View attachment 326604

View attachment 326605

View attachment 326606

At least you’re in the action.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
H

hobbes

WKR
Uneventful morning.
IMG_20210916_074845679_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210916_080301804_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210916_082121425_HDR.jpg

I normally do not like Clif Bars. I've given them multiple chances trying different flavors that have been suggested. They are actually a good emergency food because I won't eat them in most cases unless it's an emergency. I bought a few peanut butter crunch flavored Clif Bars this time around. They aren't anything special but adding some real peanut butter improved them drastically. I still won't be eating them at home. You can spray perfume on a horse turd all day long, but at the end of the day..... it's still a horse turd. (something like that) :)
IMG_20210916_073630991.jpg

Just got to catch up on your thread been out camping and kayaking for a week ! Man you are having some fun.

OP
H

hobbes

WKR
Just got to catch up on your thread been out camping and kayaking for a week ! Man you are having some fun.
You know, I've not hunted the last couple of days and probably should be. It's not been the same this season. I'm afraid I'm losing my drive to do it, at least as hard as I used to go. I don't really understand that because I was really looking forward to it.

You know, I've not hunted the last couple of days and probably should be. It's not been the same this season. I'm afraid I'm losing my drive to do it, at least as hard as I used to go. I don't really understand that because I was really looking forward to it.
I can relate . A few years ago I felt like I was losing my edge and didn't even put up stands until a week before the season started ! If you want a cure just get shut out of most of the hunting access you have and basically not be able to go for 2 years !
So get back out there and enjoy what you have never know when it can be taken away from you !

OP
H

hobbes

WKR
I can relate . A few years ago I felt like I was losing my edge and didn't even put up stands until a week before the season started ! If you want a cure just get shut out of most of the hunting access you have and basically not be able to go for 2 years !
So get back out there and enjoy what you have never know when it can be taken away from you !
Good point. I'm shooting for a Friday - Monday hunt.

OP
H

hobbes

WKR
Heading out this evening. Unfortunately it's warming up. It'll be cooler in the mountains but I'm tired of the heat. It'll still be good to get back out hunting. The weekends always add more challenges but it only takes one elk. I won't hesitate to kill a cow given a good opportunity unless there is a bull about to slip up.

Screenshot_20210923-115641.png

OP
H

hobbes

WKR
Hour and a half uphill hike to where I found elk last week.
IMG_20210924_063541660.jpg

Nasty sounding bull hit the cow calls immediately. So I was on elk for the first hour or so before they decided to move and went over the top. I'm pretty sure it's the same bull as last week.

I've finally climbed out and taking a short brunch break before I try to find him. I'm also trying to dry out from sweating on the climb up. I'm not hunting all day unless I can get him to sound off pretty quick. The wind is all over the place.

IMG_20210924_100819073_HDR.jpg

OP
H

hobbes

WKR
I got a pretty lazy sounding response shortly after my last post. He was farther down than I was hoping and likely across into the darker stuff on the other side.

IMG_20210924_105422297.jpg

After dropping a few hundred feet with the wind in my face, I decided the bull was on the other side. It was crunchy as heck so I was going slow. I hadn't dropped more than a couple hundred more feet when I saw elk butts. It was a bull, a big bull, and a calf looking over their butts in my direction. "Holy crap he was closer than I thought." I nocked an arrow and leaned out hoping to find a shooting lane. They weren't looking at me and he was quartered at 55 yards but there were too many limbs to get an arrow through and he knew something was up. He moved downhill out of sight but I could still see a cow's head at 60 yards.

I was still thinking "how the heck did I misjudge his location so bad" when a bull in the bottom and across the canyon bugled. The herd that I'd bumped into didn't hang around long and moved down the mountain. There was at least a half dozen cows bedded along with the bull.

I should have known the bull that was bugling wasn't the same bull. The bull that I had been on has a really gravelly bugle. I just assumed it was a lazy bedded bugle. He bugled off and on for an hour but the wind was getting squirrelly so I could make a play on him. I hiked out once he quit bugling.

I don't think the big bull left the drainage because at one point he bugled back at the bedded bull from a little ways up the drainage. They did not smell me because I had a good wind in my face. I'll try them again tomorrow but may try to come in from the bottom. I'm concerned with pressure since it'll be Saturday but I guess they didn't get pushed out last weekend.

A few photos today:
IMG_20210924_075608986.jpg

IMG_20210924_075611629.jpg

IMG_20210924_075605412.jpg

IMG_20210924_092938998.jpg

IMG_20210924_100114984.jpg

OP
H

hobbes

WKR
I decided to come in from the bottom today and climb to anything that I heard. I heard one bugle, maybe two, just after daylight. It was far enough that I couldn't pinpoint it besides knowing which draw it was up. I could not get another peep out of anything.

Elk have been in here but they either moved over a drainage or weren't talking today.

IMG_20210925_075043557.jpg

IMG_20210925_083009111.jpg

IMG_20210925_082607281.jpg

IMG_20210925_083358921.jpg

IMG_20210925_081209148.jpg

IMG_20210925_091533197.jpg

Lots of color:
IMG_20210925_073839424_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210925_073943573_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210925_080614727_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210925_081829525.jpg