Montana 2021 Non-Resident Deer Combo draw survey

I applied for a 2020 Montana non-resident DEER COMBO license and:

• DID NOT draw a license with 2 preference points

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Erict

WKR

***THE SURVEY TITLE SAYS 2020, BUT I MEANT 2021. I CANNOT EDIT THE SURVEY TITLE, BUT PLEASE ENTER YOUR 2021 DRAW RESULT***

So, our group of 5 nonresidents have applied for and drew 23 out of 25 times over the past 6 years (we took one year off). Last few years we all had 1 preference point going in to the draw (for those that don't know - a Montana preference point "puts one to the head of the line", so anyone with 2 points will get drawn over anyone with 1, etc. This is different than bonus points which are used for other things - bonus points "put your name in the hat an additional time, or your points are squared and put in the hat").

This year, our group of 5, applying individually and each with 1 preference point, drew 1 DEER COMBO license. Surprising and disappointing all at once. We are regrouping to weight options.

So, how did you do? ***Please make sure to vote regardless if you add a post or not***

Last edited:
2020 we applied as a party, bought the point, didn't draw.

2021 we applied as a party again, bought the point again and got the tags.

2 of us drew as a party with one point last year (deer combo) (2020)

(2021)
2 of us put in for the deer/elk combo with 1 point this year, didn't draw
A party of 2 in our group put in with one point and didn't draw a deer combo
1 individual in out group put in for a deer combo and didn't draw this year

I purchased a point in the summer of 2020. I then put in for the general deer combo draw and purchased another point bringing me to 2 points. I did not draw.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Rich M

WKR
Sucks for the guy that drew. Ya'll are gonna do something else.

Why don't you guys apply as a group? All or nothing...

srfdmatty

Lil-Rokslider
Applied as a group this year for the deer combo. All had 1 point. We did not draw. Had a feeling the applications would be up this year and we that we might not draw.
We drew the deer combo in 2020 with 1 point. Missed the nicest buck of my life on the last morning hunting. Ate tag soup. I only think about him every other day now instead of every day....

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

ericthered

Lil-Rokslider
***THE SURVEY TITLE SAYS 2020, BUT I MEANT 2021. I CANNOT EDIT THE SURVEY TITLE, BUT PLEASE ENTER YOUR 2021 DRAW RESULT***

So, our group of 5 nonresidents have applied for and drew 23 out of 25 times over the past 6 years (we took one year off). Last few years we all had 1 preference point going in to the draw (for those that don't know - a Montana preference point "puts one to the head of the line", so anyone with 2 points will get drawn over anyone with 1, etc. This is different than bonus points which are used for other things - bonus points "put your name in the hat an additional time, or your points are squared and put in the hat").

This year, our group of 5, applying individually and each with 1 preference point, drew 1 DEER COMBO license. Surprising and disappointing all at once. We are regrouping to weight options.

So, how did you do? ***Please make sure to vote regardless if you add a post or not***
There were a significant number of applications this - I think Go Hunt republished FWP article. Up +30%. This trend will continue until the economy cools off in 2023 or 2024. If you are used to going every year, more likely every other year if you hold 2 points.

JDZ

WKR
Montana runs on the Bonus Point system meaning your points are squared.
They use bonus point for limited entry permits, but not for the general license draw. The general license draw is just preference, except that they allocate a certain percentage of the licenses to applicants with zero points.

Chordeiles

Lil-Rokslider
Applied as a group of 5 and drew.(one PP each bought at time of application)

I know another group of 5 that drew.(don’t know if they had PP)

I know another group of 5 that did not draw.(one PP each bought at time of application)

I have a hard time understanding MT in the general draw. Maybe someone can explain it to me.

If it's a preference points system, how is it that a 2 point holder that posted above did not draw a tag, but other one point holders did? I understand the 10% to zero point holders part of it, but doesn't that mean the rest of the tags go from highest point holders on down?

OP
Erict

Erict

WKR
FYI - Montana sent an email out on April 14th to announce the draw was done. This is the relevant part of the email:

"This year, hunters came out in record numbers to apply for permits and purchase licenses in advance of the April 1 deadline. More than 82,384 residents and 16,650 nonresidents applied for elk and deer permits. That’s a 12.48 percent and 29.52 percent increase over last year, respectively."

FYI - Montana sent an email out on April 14th to announce the draw was done. This is the relevant part of the email:

"This year, hunters came out in record numbers to apply for permits and purchase licenses in advance of the April 1 deadline. More than 82,384 residents and 16,650 nonresidents applied for elk and deer permits. That’s a 12.48 percent and 29.52 percent increase over last year, respectively."
Those are permits. Not combos. It'll be interesting to see the amount of applicants for combos.

OP
Erict

Erict

WKR
Those are permits. Not combos. It'll be interesting to see the amount of applicants for combos.
Thank you for the correction. Maybe it's just me, but why would they include the permit numbers but not the combo license numbers in that email / press release? Maybe they broke their abacus? I have found the FWP staff to be very friendly every time I spoke to them but they are the most low-tech fish & game agency I've ever dealt with.