Montana 2021

Don't want to hijack your thread but some of your good luck must have got to me !! A good buddy and retired farmer that has access to a lot of land called me. He said he and his wife got their first shots and if I wanted I could come and hunt a few days. His wife has been very sick and he has been limiting any access to his property as a precaution for her basically they haven't left the house.

Man it felt good to be loose in the turkey woods . I'm still jealous of you but !

Limbhanger !

2021 Limbhanger.jpg

Woods Tom !

2021 Woods Tom.jpg

OP
H

hobbes

WKR
Don't want to hijack your thread but some of your good luck must have got to me !! A good buddy and retired farmer that has access to a lot of land called me. He said he and his wife got their first shots and if I wanted I could come and hunt a few days. His wife has been very sick and he has been limiting any access to his property as a precaution for her basically they haven't left the house.

Man it felt good to be loose in the turkey woods . I'm still jealous of you but !

Limbhanger !

View attachment 292227

Woods Tom !

View attachment 292230
That's awesome man!!! I know you've been waiting a long time for that. I saw your post on Gobblernation first. Hopefully you'll get to make up for the wait next spring.

OP
H

hobbes

WKR
I like the change of seasons here in MT but I'm not necessarily a fan of hot weather. I've been looking forward to what summer brings but every now and again MT Winter has to speak up and slap the heck out of MT Spring to remind it to keep MT Summer in check. Or this may just be a MT Spring. I don't mind either way now that turkey season is over and mowing has started. :)
Screenshot_20210517-210303.png

OP
H

hobbes

WKR
Thursday thru today was not good weather for nesting turkeys here locally.

IMG_20210521_054433207.jpg

IMG_20210521_151546598.jpg

I wanted to get in a few days of bear hunting before the end of season but we had the snow and rain this weekend combined with my son's highschool graduation and next weekend is my wife's birthday. Maybe I'll get out in one of the districts that run to June 15.

OP
H

hobbes

WKR
I took my wife to Kalispell for the weekend for her birthday. We spent too much money eating at local restaurants and a small amount of shopping but I suppose she's worth it. :) Besides, I only have a short three months before archery elk season to make up for the last month and a half of spring turkey season.

Panorama from above Kalispell looking toward the Swan and Whitefish ranges.
IMG_20210530_093546677.jpg

Whitefish Lake
IMG_20210530_133613970.jpg

Last edited:
Gotta keep the boss happy ! I should be going camping with the boss for a few weeks now but they still have all the campgrounds shutdown here what a joke ! I went to a local river to do some kayaking and it was lined up at the spot where you can get in easiest. I am usually the only one there. I guess their stay at home order isn't working too well !

OP
H

hobbes

WKR
Gotta keep the boss happy ! I should be going camping with the boss for a few weeks now but they still have all the campgrounds shutdown here what a joke ! I went to a local river to do some kayaking and it was lined up at the spot where you can get in easiest. I am usually the only one there. I guess their stay at home order isn't working too well !
I'm in the process of buying a small camper now. She'd have probably preferred a hot tub, but that just results in a bunch of unwanted guests at my house. The camper is small enough that we can't accommodate a bunch of folks and I plan to use it for hunting some if the weather isn't too cold. We'll probably take it and the kayaks out next week.

Last edited:
Good. A few years ago a buddy in Michigan gave me the camper we used to hunt in at the farm in Michigan. I used it for 5 years travelling in the spring and fall hunting. Beats paying for motels and I have many spots where the landowner lets me park it. Basically boondocking ! I love it. Then my wife wanted to go and I ended up trading it for a newer model. Now my wife keeps asking when we are going camping !

IMG_0470.JPGIMG_0982.JPG

OP
H

hobbes

WKR
I've purchased a 2017 travel trailer. It's 19' so should be reasonably easy to tow. We'll use it this summer on weekends in the mountains and kayaking. I'm planning to use it some in September while elk hunting from a Basecamp but I'm still planning some backcountry stuff with Pedro the almost a pack llama :). I'll also use it for early upland and antelope. I likely won't use it during my November mule deer hunt.

Aspen Trail 1900rb.png

Interior.png

Nice I added a solar panel to the roof , a second battery in parallel and pure sine wave inverter to power the tv and some other stuff like chargers. I also have a small inverter generator that will power everything in the trailer ! I hunted in November in Kentucky a few years ago and it was 22 during the day and 10 degrees at night but I was toasty warm lol

OP
H

hobbes

WKR
Nice I added a solar panel to the roof , a second battery in parallel and pure sine wave inverter to power the tv and some other stuff like chargers. I also have a small inverter generator that will power everything in the trailer ! I hunted in November in Kentucky a few years ago and it was 22 during the day and 10 degrees at night but I was toasty warm lol
I think I could stay warm but those later trips almost always include some slick roads. I'll see how the warm weather stuff goes then decide.

True thankfully except for Nebraska most of the places I go in the fall are earlier or not too far off the black top.

OP
H

hobbes

WKR
Monday was shearing day for Pedro and Tina. They look anorexic now. He really disliked the work they did on his teeth.

Surprisingly, Pedro put up the biggest fuss. He can sound downright evil when tied down and stretched out.

IMG_20210607_072434159_HDR.jpg

OP
H

hobbes

WKR
FWP posted B tags today. I did not draw the elk cow tag that I've had the last few years. That is really disappointing. That tag was 90% draw odds in 2020. Same number of tags so either more applicants this year or I got really unlucky.

I did draw an archery only B deer tag for whitetail or mule deer buck until January 1st. I'll plan to hunt whitetails from a treestand with this tag. Not drawing the cow tag will free up some time for this.

Antelope has not posted yet. I'll be incredibly disappointed if I don't draw an antelope buck tag.

I didn’t draw an elk tag either, pretty disappointed but that frees up more time elsewhere!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk