Montana 21 bear ( April or may )

Wildatheart

Lil-Rokslider
The annual spring bear hunt for me and my dad and uncle is coming up. We are debating between the 2nd week of April or 2nd week of May. We are choosing these weeks based off of history of good daytime bear activity aligning with the “New Moon” phase. I’m afraid access will be an issue Second week of April. But also afraid 2nd week of may there will be too much green up and can’t locate them as easy. Any opinions on this ?

skierhs

WKR
I would bet you’ll have a lot more issues with too much snow in April than too green up in may. If you come in April you may not be able to get to your spots which I view as a larger issue than having extra ground to cover. I also don't put much weight into the moon phases though.

mmw194287

WKR
If by the second week in April you mean 4/8-4/14, I'd hold off....season opens the 15th.

I've killed a bear on opening day, but it's not super common. Access will be extremely limited opening weekend.

OpenCountry

Lil-Rokslider
The annual spring bear hunt for me and my dad and uncle is coming up. We are debating between the 2nd week of April or 2nd week of May. We are choosing these weeks based off of history of good daytime bear activity aligning with the “New Moon” phase. I’m afraid access will be an issue Second week of April. But also afraid 2nd week of may there will be too much green up and can’t locate them as easy. Any opinions on this ?
Obviously snow pack for the years will vary but I'd go the second week in May personally for access and green up

OP
Wildatheart

Wildatheart

Lil-Rokslider
If by the second week in April you mean 4/8-4/14, I'd hold off....season opens the 15th.

I've killed a bear on opening day, but it's not super common. Access will be extremely limited opening weekend.
Ya I guess it would help to wait until season opens. LOL.. in my mind I had March 15 opening instead of April.

137buck

Lil-Rokslider
The last couple of years, access before the last part of May and early June has been spotty at best in this area due to snow. Me personally, if I was traveling to hunt, I'd go later in the season just so I knew I could access spots.