Montana 270

Darius G

FNG
I’m headed to unit 270 in Montana this year for my first year archery elk hunting.
Any advice or locations to shoot for?
Not looking for your hot spots just curious what I need to look for. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtjimbo

Lil-Rokslider
I live in 240 across the highway from 270. There are elk all through the unit. Just get out and hike. Roads are hit hard. Show up in good shape hike ur butt off glass a ton and you might get lucky

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

OP
D

Darius G

FNG
I live in 240 across the highway from 270. There are elk all through the unit. Just get out and hike. Roads are hit hard. Show up in good shape hike ur butt off glass a ton and you might get lucky

Awesome. Thanks, we are all in good shape and not afraid to put the miles in. Is archery usually hit hard as well?

mtjimbo

Lil-Rokslider
Archery is alot better than rifle. Rifle gets hammered hard hard by the locals. Archery gets hot but not near as bad usually. If you get on Google Earth or onx or whatever you use you can look through that unit and it's reasonably easy to find where elk will be and I struggle bad with E scouting im just now figuring out what all to look for elevation wise and what not. The unit has water cover and open grassy areas all through it.

mtjimbo

Lil-Rokslider
You can pm if you want

OP
D

Darius G

FNG
Archery is alot better than rifle. Rifle gets hammered hard hard by the locals. Archery gets hot but not near as bad usually. If you get on Google Earth or onx or whatever you use you can look through that unit and it's reasonably easy to find where elk will be and I struggle bad with E scouting im just now figuring out what all to look for elevation wise and what not. The unit has water cover and open grassy areas all through it.

Good deal. I appreciate the info. I’m new to the e scouting as well and trying to figure it out.

JG06

FNG
I am going to be heading to this Unit in November for rifle season. I found a Montana FWP Elk study from 2014 that says the winter ranges for elk are on the west side of the unit between Darby and Sula. The general consensus is to get away from roads and people but this part of the unit has a lot of roads and private land. So my question is, what is the Sapphire Wilderness area like where it borders 211? do Elk exist in that area?

J Dubaya

FNG
Good luck on your hunt. Following for reference. I have 3 points for MT to apply next year and looking to get away from OR and into some country with lots more elk. I spent the first 15 yrs of my life in Polson MT and have been in OR now for much longer. Just getting tired of seeing very little game and hoping a change of local is just what the dr ordered...

Airborne1

Lil-Rokslider
I’m headed to unit 270 in Montana this year for my first year archery elk hunting.
Any advice or locations to shoot for?
Not looking for your hot spots just curious what I need to look for. Thanks.

How did you end up doing in 270? I've hunted it a few times and had success. Find some elk?

OP
D

Darius G

FNG
How did you end up doing in 270? I've hunted it a few times and had success. Find some elk?

Not as well as planned. We immediately found the elk but we had a weak link in our group that couldn’t handle it causing us to cut our trip in half.
But we heard them and saw some. Just not enough time to seal the deal.

Not as well as planned. We immediately found the elk but we had a weak link in our group that couldn’t handle it causing us to cut our trip in half.
But we heard them and saw some. Just not enough time to seal the deal.

if you care to share any tips on the area I'd be much obliged, first time archery elk hunting will be September of this year.