Montana 280 281 feedback please

go4thegusto

Well Known Rokslider
I have a chance to jump in on a pony hunt for elk in the MT 280, 281 area. I am told it is remote and a "wilderness study" area. Any feedback on the country, terrain, wolves, pressure?

feel free to PM also. Thanks

TexanSam

Well Known Rokslider
Can't tell you much about Montana, but good luck! Any time you have a chance to hunt is a good thing in my book!

Sent from my Z988 using Tapatalk

MTguy0341

Well Known Rokslider
Knew a guy who used to pack in there every year. Been a while since I've last talked to him. Last i heard alot of wolves in the area. Pretty steep country, timbered but there's open stuff

Jason Snyder

Well Known Rokslider
Unit 280 is within the Scapegoat Wilderness. 281 is mostly outside of it as I recall.

It can get a lot of pressure during the first week of the early rifle hunt, which begins September 15th. I've been in there in late November when I couldn't see another person. It's big country. Some of it is pretty steep, and is mostly timbered although a lot of it has burned off in the last 25 years.

Can't tell you much about current wolf numbers as I haven't hunted it in about 10 years. I certainly wouldn't base my hunt decision on wolves. Look at what elk herd counts are and how many cow tags are being allotted.

It certainly isn't the place to hunt if you aren't comfortable around grizzly bears.

sab

Well Known Rokslider
I hunted the early rifle season in 280 with a few other forum members back in 2012. The place was thick with Grizzlies, but not so with elk. We did see some does and one forkie buck over the 10 or so days we were there. I will not be back to that area anytime soon...