Montana 301

WormSportsman

Lil-Rokslider
I am still a little bit in shock I drew a 301 moose tag in Montana this year. I would love to find someone who has had the tag or helped in a hunt in there previously. I will be down there as much as I possibly can this summer scouting as I am only 2 1/2 hours away. Would love to be able to know what to expect as far as rut activity in the area. Know this is a long shot finding someone who has hunted it but any insight or help from someone with knowledge down there feel free to PM me. Thanks Gents!

slick

WKR
Might have better luck finding info on the Newburg website for this hunt.

Mt Al

WKR
Congratulations!! Your head must be spinning.

Have never drawn or hunted moose in 301, but recommend calling the FWP warden and/or biologist for the area for information, look at harvest records, etc..

Good luck and selfishly hoping you keep us apprised of the process.

OP
W

WormSportsman

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you very much. Biologist is definitely on the list of things to do so far. FWP warden I hadn’t thought of but will give that a shot also. Will try and keep some updates coming as I get down scouting this summer. Thanks again.

Mt Al

WKR
Julie is super approachable. Give her a buzz.

She is! I drew a coveted tag in her region years ago and she was very helpful without giving too much away. If you can, bring a map and visit her in her office. You will save sooooo much time if you can make that happen. The number of people and projects competing for her time is insane, so don't be surprised if she can only talk on the phone.

Same goes for the warden in Dillon, if it's the same guy. Awesome dude and worth visiting if possible.

OP
W

WormSportsman

Lil-Rokslider
Counting down the days until opener but just got back from an overnight scouting trip. Made it down for a day earlier this Summer to drive roads and mark camping spots, glassing spots and good looking sections of public land. This trip actually put some glass on areas during an evening during prime time. Glassed up solo cows in two different spots, so I feel some optimism about the coming hunt. Still no Bulls but hoping they will show up if I can stay on the cows. Just wanted to give an update and thanks to those of you who chimed in about the upcoming hunt!