Montana Alternate List question

krojemann

WKR
Because of the virus at the time, we skipped the MT elk application. Since then, we have signed up for their Alternate List. The list came out yesterday & it says I'm #24 of 854 Non-resident Elk Combo. I've never signed up for the Alternate List before & have some questions.

- Do I need to do anything more, other than wait & hope for an email? I noticed there is a Surplus List, mostly cow tags that I can register for. Do I still need to register for those tags on the Surplus List? Or am I already on the list for a general tag & that list is separate? I'm hoping for an either sex general tag.

- Has anyone had any experience being drawn from the alternate list? In other words, does #24 have a decent shot at a tag?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

bsnedeker

WKR
You don't have to sign up for the surplus tags unless you want a chance at a second tag, or backup in case you don't draw the general tag through the alternate list.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

hobbes

WKR
The general tag is not an either sex tag. It's a general tag that allows you to shoot whatever is legal for a general tag in a given district. If you are archery hunting in the archery season (September/October), most districts will allow a brow tined bull or a cow. If you are rifle or archery hunting in the general season (October/Nov), most districts will only allow a brow tined bull.
There are very few "either sex" districts.

The regulation's district tables indicate what is legal to kill with a general tag in each district.

OP
K

krojemann

WKR
Thanks, I meant either sex since the general unit we would hunt is browtine bull or cow, so isn't that kinda like either sex?

Anybody have any experience with being on an alternate list & being drawn. Still not sure if being #24 has a chance.

BFR

WKR
Thanks, I meant either sex since the general unit we would hunt is browtine bull or cow, so isn't that kinda like either sex?

Anybody have any experience with being on an alternate list & being drawn. Still not sure if being #24 has a chance.

To the first part about either sex, only partly, a spike bull or a branched antler bull without brow tines are NOT legal.
As to you chance of getting drawn, is that number before or after the fiasco concerning the update caused by FWP not randomizing originally. If it’s after I think you should have a good chance, if before you might want to recheck.

OP
K

krojemann

WKR
To the first part about either sex, only partly, a spike bull or a branched antler bull without brow tines are NOT legal.
As to you chance of getting drawn, is that number before or after the fiasco concerning the update caused by FWP not randomizing originally. If it’s after I think you should have a good chance, if before you might want to recheck.
Thanks. I'm 24 after the renumbering.

Reactions: BFR

hobbes

WKR

Yes, I suppose that you could call it that. I know it may just be semantics, but the districts listed as "either sex" do not have a brow tine requirement (you can kill any bull or cow). Just trying to make sure that you understood the difference. Seems to always be some confusion.

Good luck with the list. It seems like I read on Bowsite that the first list that came out was incorrect and was the order that folks signed up, not the order they drew. Looked like the sent out an explanation and apology. 24 sounds like a pretty good chance at a tag.

Tenstrike

Lil-Rokslider
I'm in the same boat as you, low 100's after the corrections. I would think someone on here would have some insight as to what the odds are to get a tag off the alternate list. I keep checking thinking that there would be some movement and my number might change. We'll see. Good luck!

bsnedeker

WKR
I'm in the same boat as you, low 100's after the corrections. I would think someone on here would have some insight as to what the odds are to get a tag off the alternate list. I keep checking thinking that there would be some movement and my number might change. We'll see. Good luck!
It's impossible to say if you have a chance or not. In a typical year I would say you had pretty good odds. This year is far from typical.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

CMF

WKR
Did they get to you on the list?

Tenstrike

Lil-Rokslider
Yes, I received a call in about early August offering me the elk tag. Good luck.