Montana Alternates List Changes

FNG
The suspense is killing me. I’m going to be in MT with my dad chasing his first bull and I’d really like to have a deer tag in my pocket. I’ve been checking that link several times a day, hoping for an update.

FrankAbagnale

Lil-Rokslider
The suspense is killing me. I’m going to be in MT with my dad chasing his first bull and I’d really like to have a deer tag in my pocket. I’ve been checking that link several times a day, hoping for an update.

Same here. Does anyone know if there were leftover Mule Deer tags last year?

FNG
Same here. Does anyone know if there were leftover Mule Deer tags last year?

I found this thread regarding last years alternate list for deer tags. With this year’s impending rule changes, who knows what’ll happen.

Last edited:

merf061

FNG
I spoke with MT FWP. It is my understanding that anyone that was unsuccessful in the draw is going to have precedence on the alternates list. BUT!!! a few weeks ago the Montana Outfitter and Guides Association approached the governor and asked him to sign a bill giving non residents that had paid deposits with an outfitter have precedence. This would help stimulate the state economy at an estimated 5-7 million dollars, so I am wiling to bet the temporary bill gets signed and only non residence that were unsuccessful drawing that were signed up with an outfitter get an alternate buy back tag.

FrankAbagnale

Lil-Rokslider
I spoke with MT FWP. It is my understanding that anyone that was unsuccessful in the draw is going to have precedence on the alternates list. BUT!!! a few weeks ago the Montana Outfitter and Guides Association approached the governor and asked him to sign a bill giving non residents that had paid deposits with an outfitter have precedence. This would help stimulate the state economy at an estimated 5-7 million dollars, so I am wiling to bet the temporary bill gets signed and only non residence that were unsuccessful drawing that were signed up with an outfitter get an alternate buy back tag.
Interesting...thanks for the info. I don’t expect I’ll have a chance since I missed the NR draw. Just hoping they put out some info soon because I still have a slight glimmer of hope.

BuzzH

WKR

If that's true, just another reason to never hunt with an outfitter.

I also find it pretty tough to believe that outfitters clients would stimulate the economy any more than DIY guys. In many cases the outfitters aren't even residents of Montana, neither are the guides. They take their wages back home...loss of revenue and economy stimulation.

Plus, if its a fully outfitted deal, the local restaurants, hotels, etc. don't make a plug nickel off the guided hunters. The clients fly in, shoot their critter and leave...spending next to nothing in a local economy.

DIY guys buy all kinds of things. Have tires fixed, stay at hotels, buy $50 worth of junk food at the local gas station every morning, fuel, eat at restaurants, etc. etc. etc.

Outfitters lie about the positive economic impacts they bring to a state about like they lie about the average "score" of the animals their clients kill....both grossly exaggerated.

FrankAbagnale

Lil-Rokslider

I also find it pretty tough to believe that outfitters clients would stimulate the economy any more than DIY guys. In many cases the outfitters aren't even residents of Montana, neither are the guides. They take their wages back home...loss of revenue and economy stimulation.

Plus, if its a fully outfitted deal, the local restaurants, hotels, etc. don't make a plug nickel off the guided hunters. The clients fly in, shoot their critter and leave...spending next to nothing in a local economy.

DIY guys buy all kinds of things. Have tires fixed, stay at hotels, buy $50 worth of junk food at the local gas station every morning, fuel, eat at restaurants, etc. etc. etc.

Outfitters lie about the positive economic impacts they bring to a state about like they lie about the average "score" of the animals their clients kill....both grossly exaggerated.
Yeah, I have to agree to a degree. I think someone hunting DIY is going to bring more to the economy than someone using a guide. I don't know much about the gov't in MT though, so who knows if they would actually do something like that.

Racer00

FNG
Well the outfitters association has already screwed over the non resident mtn lion hunters so I am not at all surprised at this power grab.

jjgaw

Lil-Rokslider
Just to clarify, there is no preference being given to applicants who were unsuccessful in the draw. It is a true randomized draw for a position in line. I just spoke to the licensing section of FWP about this.

merf061

FNG
Just to clarify, there is no preference being given to applicants who were unsuccessful in the draw. It is a true randomized draw for a position in line. I just spoke to the licensing section of FWP about this.
I have recieved the same information thankyou, it seems that the pandemic has created alot of uncertainty in the licensing division of fwp. Multiple answers for the same questions.

RB1

Lil-Rokslider
I apologize if this has been covered, but due to the wording on their site I was a bit confused... Are they planning on publishing a list or at least letting you know where your name was ranked on the list? Thanks everyone!

FrankAbagnale

Lil-Rokslider
I apologize if this has been covered, but due to the wording on their site I was a bit confused... Are they planning on publishing a list or at least letting you know where your name was ranked on the list? Thanks everyone!
That was my understanding. It does look like in years past they've shown you what number you have on the list. This should give us an idea of our chances. They said mid July so hopefully by next week we'll see that.

RB1

Lil-Rokslider
That was my understanding. It does look like in years past they've shown you what number you have on the list. This should give us an idea of our chances. They said mid July so hopefully by next week we'll see that.
Ok, that’s how I interpreted it as well, I was just wanting to make sure. I appreciate it.

F the outfitters if they did that. Never ever would I hunt with one after they pull these stunts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ericthered

Lil-Rokslider
Remember tags are turned in right up to opening day so as these tags come available, folks on the list will be called. I’ll bet 1000 elk and big game combination tags combined will be turned back. That’s about 7% of tags issued. But with virus spikes could be higher.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
asdew04