Montana Application Process

I am an out of state resident applicant for Montana and so is a buddy of mine. We are interested in applying in Montana for the Mule Deer and Elk combo to accumulate points only as neither of us would be able to go this year for conflicting hunts anyway. Can anyone steer me in the best direction with how to apply in Montana to accumulate points only? Is it more beneficial to apply individually or as a group? We were looking at the Breaks in 622 and 631.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!

NDGuy

WKR
The breaks are a tough go for Elk FYI. Most are in the CMR and you will never draw a rifle tag there as a NR. Archery you can but still a decent wait. Overhunted as hell too since no bears...yet haha

Gumbo

WKR
The breaks are a tough go for Elk FYI. Most are in the CMR and you will never draw a rifle tag there as a NR. Archery you can but still a decent wait. Overhunted as hell too since no bears...yet haha

Chances are slim but never is a very long time. As of 2017 there were up to 5 rifle permits available for NR in 622. I think you can buy points without applying but I am not certain for NR deer/elk.

rcfireninja

Lil-Rokslider
You don’t need to apply to buy points. Last year after the draw you could buy bonus points and preference points.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jmez

WKR
You can buy points starting July 1st. You should go that route rather than applying for a tag if you can't hunt. You could turn the tag back in for a refund but you points are going to cost you $180 that way. You can buy them in July for $25.