Montana archery antelope leftovers

weaver

WKR
Are there usually leftover archery tags available? If there are, do they sell out in minutes or will I have plenty of time to buy one.
I'd apply in the draw but I've got a good chance to draw a mule deer hunt in another state and wouldn't be able to make it to montana for antelope. Hate to buy a tag I might not be able to use.

900 series tags are not unlimited.

Think there was 5600 last year or so. They may not get that many aps, but theyre still not an unlimited tag.

As for leftover tags, theres not many units that have them. Maybe only half a dozen units with leftover "B" tags. And the ones that do usually go pretty fast, like, in a few hours fast.

amp713

WKR
Well im doing some research on WY antelope but figured id ask on these too but how would MT rate in comparision as far as price, public land, and number of speed goats? Is this a doable option??

Not even comparable to WY IMO.

Cross the state line into WY and its like you covered 2000 miles. Goats goats goats. Whereas on the MT side, its a few here, a few there. 2009 really clobbered em up here.

OP
weaver

weaver

WKR
The 900 series tag is the only one I'm interested in since I want to be able to hunt in august.
I'd go to Wyoming but I'm going to be in Idaho anyway and would rather not drive all the way to eastern wy to hunt in a leftover unit.
I've found a couple spots in western MT, not far from the ID line that holds goats

ChadH

FNG
Not even comparable to WY IMO.

Cross the state line into WY and its like you covered 2000 miles. Goats goats goats. Whereas on the MT side, its a few here, a few there. 2009 really clobbered em up here.

This is a true statement... however, your options increase greatly with 1 or 2 pp in WY. So MT is a great archery option for an "every other year" rotation. I don't know that the units you can draw on a leftover in WY have the kind of access that make them great options. It really depends on what you want out of an antelope hunt. There are hunts in NV you can draw every 2-3 years too (though the system doesn't make it a "for sure" proposition), and they aren't 'trophy units' ... I hunt Wyoming every 3-5 years because the units I want to draw take that many points, so MT, ID, NV are the only real "next best option". NM and AZ are SUPER hard to draw and a big time long term investment in points and cash (unless you go guided/landowner in NM).

Big Sky

Lil-Rokslider
There were left overs last year but they sold out fast. I tried buying one a couple hours after they went on sale but they were already gone.

OP
weaver

weaver

WKR
Thanks big sky. Undecided if I want to put in for the draw and draw a tag that I might not use or take the chance of trying to buy a leftover.