Montana Archery antelope

Looking for some advise. A group of us should draw the 900-20 antelope tag this year and was wondering if the west side of the state towards Dillon is worth the trip or should we focus on the eastern side of the state? Also not looking to kill anything big opportunity is more the goal! Thanks in advance.

PablitoPescador

Lil-Rokslider
How much time do you have? I’d say if you have a week or so maybe start in the Dillon area and work your way east if it’s not the experience you’re after. I hunted that 900 tag near Dillon a few years ago. There’s definitely some goats but not in huge numbers. Not sure what the population is like now. I’d say you’re still likely to get at least a couple stalks in a day no matter where you hunt in MT.

OP
B
How much time do you have? I’d say if you have a week or so maybe start in the Dillon area and work your way east if it’s not the experience you’re after. I hunted that 900 tag near Dillon a few years ago. There’s definitely some goats but not in huge numbers. Not sure what the population is like now. I’d say you’re still likely to get at least a couple stalks in a day no matter where you hunt in MT.
We’ll be there for around 10 days in the middle of September. From the research I’ve done it looks like there population numbers are way up. We are still looking forward to it no matter what tho!

MT257

WKR
Timing wise you will be hitting the rut just about right. As far as population numbers they aren't what I would call "Way up". Many areas are still trying to rebound from the hard winters of a few years back.

Never hunted antelope near Dillon, but I would generally try the eastern half of the state. You should hit the rut, so decoying is an awesome tactic and a ton of fun. As long as you get within about 90 yards of a buck with does, usually they will charge straight at you. Just make sure you have an arrow nocked as it happens fast.