Montana Archery Elk Hunt

We are heading to Montana from MN next week. Anyone out there with boots on the ground that can give a status update? Bulls bugling or any rutting action yet? Just curious. Thanks all!

OP
B
We are actually hunting with Chris at Montana Outfitting Company. Any experience with them or heard of them before? This is my second trip to Montana. First trip was fun, but didn't give ourselves enough time. This time around we are blocking off a longer hunt.

My advice is to not listen to reports from others about bugling.

It’s like reading a fishing report that is based on days or weeks old information that has already changed due to weather or pressure. Let alone the people providing info for those reports are in different areas and likely using different techniques that you or have more or less skill.

OP
B
Good advice. Thank you! Was just curious...and anxious sitting here in MN waiting. Thank you though!

conley417

Lil-Rokslider
We are actually hunting with Chris at Montana Outfitting Company. Any experience with them or heard of them before? This is my second trip to Montana. First trip was fun, but didn't give ourselves enough time. This time around we are blocking off a longer hunt.

Private land? I've heard good things about their bear hunts

KHNC

WKR
Probably a much better operation.

S.Clancy

WKR
We had bachelor groups of bulls and big bulls with cows. There is prob not a ton of hot cows this time of year, but if there is a hot cow around those big guys will be going crazy. Weather looks better over the next 10 days then it was over opener, much cooler. Good luck on the hunt, the elk woods are awesome this time of year!

OP
B
Thank you for the update S.Clancy! I did notice the weather next weekend is significantly cooler than it's been lately. That should help a bit. Glad to hear you were on some elk. Good luck to you as well! Can't wait to get out there!

Osubuck

FNG
Just got back from Montana. The first week was very hot, dry and smoky! Lots of dried up water sources and all elk I located were up very high with little to no bugling. Groups of cows had only immature bulls with them. Big boys were off alone I presume. They should get going here in the next few days with the weather cooling off.

OP
B
Thanks for the replies guys! I hope the cooler weather sticks around for us. Can't hardly take it sitting here waiting :) Good luck all!

sneaky

"DADDY"
If you don't update us after the hunt you will get the worst case of crabs ever. It's happened, I read it on the internet. Good luck in MT

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
B
Well, our trip to Montana was a blast! Unfortunately, all three of us still have our tags in our pockets. We had some close encounters, just couldn't put all the pieces together. The weather was great! The bulls were fairly active. It seemed the mornings were much better than the evenings. I wish I was sharing some trophy pics with you guys. Maybe I can convince my wife to let me run back for a long weekend during the rifle season (but I highly doubt it). Really appreciate the advice and feedback!

conley417

Lil-Rokslider
Well, our trip to Montana was a blast! Unfortunately, all three of us still have our tags in our pockets. We had some close encounters, just couldn't put all the pieces together. The weather was great! The bulls were fairly active. It seemed the mornings were much better than the evenings. I wish I was sharing some trophy pics with you guys. Maybe I can convince my wife to let me run back for a long weekend during the rifle season (but I highly doubt it). Really appreciate the advice and feedback!

How was the ranch you guys hunted on? Decent numbers?

OP
B
The ranch was beautiful. It wasn't a super target rich environment. There were elk, but most days...pretty hard to find. There was a large private chunk near our hunting location that held a TON of elk. We heard that it never gets hunted though. I think the elk know that :)