Montana archery hunt 2020

pbcarch

WKR
Want to pick your brains for hunting in grizzly country.

Been going to idaho past couple of seasons and we are going to try Montana, assuming we do get a tag (have points so should be a lock for gen tag)

Areas i am looking into are on the western part of the state, some central some more south. The reports of amount of grizzlies in these areas vary and they definitely are there ;-)

I will have a 44 on my hip ( not for discussion) but would you / do you also cary spray? If an encounter does happen, god forbid, you can only grab one defense first. I am thinking stick with only gun as I am practicing extensively with it. I don’t want to shoot any grizzlies but if one comes at me , I ain’t backing down ( unless I shit myself)

Well I think the better idea is to avoid them all together .....so what have you done and what do you practice to avoid them? What are your behaviors in grizzly country that have worked?
Been reading about them a lot to understand them so if you have more info or can point me to where to get more please do.

Paul

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

KHNC

WKR
I still think the best thing is a slow hunting buddy. :oops: Aside from that, i am very interested in all the replies. Most revolve around getting meat off the mountain in same day. Not leaving any over night.

slick

WKR
I suggest a search on Rokslide. It’s been discussed at length. Try “Grizzly” or “Spray”. Read through the pistol forum too.

Pretty common knowledge to keep a clean camp (no wrappers or extra peanut in your pocket), hang food 100yds+ or so away, get meat off the carcass, move away from guts and put meat you have to come back for in the open (if possible). Some people don’t cook in camp, or even in the same clothes. I try and spit my tooth paste away from camp too. Anything that you think might be an attractant. I believe I listened to a podcast where a fella will now strip down to his skivvy’s while gutting an elk. I think that’s excessive but whatever makes you feel better.

I’d recommend to bring both. I do (Glock 20 and spray) in thick grizz country. Fringe grizz country- just spray as its lighter.

I have friends who carry 2-3 bottles of spray. One at the ready and one in their pack. They’ve had to use them before and were left without anything after an encounter. They don’t carry a pistol. Personal choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
pbcarch

pbcarch

WKR
Slick....thanks and yes I gone through some of those and have some of those basic ideas.
What I am looking for is DO you CHANGE the way you hunt and move around grizzly country?

If your calling for elk , kind of hard to shout “ hey bear”
If you try to stalk quietly in on elk , you can’t make much noise and try to limits movements

So do you just go about your elk hunting like normal or do you make adaptations being who you might bump into?

Paul

S.Clancy

WKR
I carry multiple cans in grizz country always. I carry a sidearm infrequently. Try and stay out of travel corridors (like creek bottoms) at peak times (early morning, dusk). If you shoot an animal separate the meat from the carcass a ways and don't drag anything. If you drag meat/ full animal you're vastly increasing the scent cone. Stay vigilant to your surroundings. It seems common sense but you'd be surprised by the number of ppl that just don't pay attention.

S.Clancy

WKR
I carry multiple cans in grizz country always. I carry a sidearm infrequently. Try and stay out of travel corridors (like creek bottoms) at peak times (early morning, dusk). If you shoot an animal separate the meat from the carcass a ways and don't drag anything. If you drag meat/ full animal you're vastly increasing the scent cone. Stay vigilant to your surroundings. It seems common sense but you'd be surprised by the number of ppl that just don't pay attention.
And keep an immaculate camp if packing in. I've recreated in grizzly country for over 20 years and only had 1 move through our camp.

I suggest you carry both, I carry glock 10 MM. this year I am purchasing a new bino harness from Blacks Creek with the pistol holster on the bino case to get it off my hip.

elkocd

Lil-Rokslider
I suggest you carry both, I carry glock 10 MM. this year I am purchasing a new bino harness from Blacks Creek with the pistol holster on the bino case to get it off my hip.

I like the looks of that bino harness to get my Glock 20 and spray off my hip, but it does not look like the case has bino straps for it? One thing I like about my current bino holder is I can drop my binos quick if needed and they're a;ways strapped to the case/my chest. Maybe not a deal breaker, but I would have to get used to it.

chasewild

WKR
I think your last paragraph is more valuable the first two -- spend your time on that inquiry to learn how to avoid them and travel through their habitat.

I was in the same position last year. Alert all the time, careful all the time, but not terrified all the time. Walking back to camp in the dark, spray is out, bow is on the pack, headlamp is on bright (unless you're in real elky stuff).

Keep your camp clean, and stay off any major bear trails or corridors. Simple shit really.

Skinning your elk etc., spray is on me, pistol with me/near me. Otherwise, pistol can stay at camp and spray is with me. If you ahve a partner, two sprays.

I was on the pistol first, and spray second train last year. But while on the hunt, I quickly realized spray first and pistol as backup.

widnert

Lil-Rokslider
What I am looking for is DO you CHANGE the way you hunt and move around grizzly country?

If your calling for elk , kind of hard to shout “ hey bear”
If you try to stalk quietly in on elk , you can’t make much noise and try to limits movements

So do you just go about your elk hunting like normal or do you make adaptations being who you might bump into?

Paul

Just hunt elk normal. Know that bears are around and if you're going into something like a berry thicket with limited visibility, consider going around rather than thru. Otherwise, no need to really change how you hunt. Call all you like and stalk when you see them.

Legend

WKR
I have seen and experienced many g bear encounters. Some I think I peed a little. I have 2 electric fence setups one for the bivy camp and one for the meat. I carry bear spray on one hip and a mossberg shockwave on my pack (sweet holster let's me draw it fast).

I spent 25 years preparing and knowing some day it will happen. When it did I learned that I I wasn't fast enough. He stopped 10ft short. Now when I get that feeling or know i don't have 50yds sight distance the spray is in my hand clip off. You are wrong if you think you are quick enough.

Hunt elk like you always do but know that they do come to cow calls.

PM me if you want with a better location and I will tell you how prepared I think you should be. Some places scared my friends from alaska.

If you're not wearing the nut flap too, might as well leave the flak at home

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

When I was in the corps I wore a flak jacket a couple times, darn thing was very heavy. Of course this was in 1970 during the prehistoric years to most, but maybe the new one's ain't that bad? A long time before that in some countries Marines wore a piece of leather around their neck to prevent a slit throat, thus the nickname "Leather Neck". It's probably good we didn't go to any countries where they cut nuts or we might have had a different name.

But to get back to the real subject I hope to go to Montana this year for the first time which is why I'm following this thread. I guess my biggest concern would be camping/sleeping in Griz country. I like to sleep when I can and wondering if anyone camping in Montana sets up any kind of perimeter alarm?

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
When I was in the corps I wore a flak jacket a couple times, darn thing was very heavy. Of course this was in 1970 during the prehistoric years to most, but maybe the new one's ain't that bad? A long time before that in some countries Marines wore a piece of leather around their neck to prevent a slit throat, thus the nickname "Leather Neck". It's probably good we didn't go to any countries where they cut nuts or we might have had a different name.

But to get back to the real subject I hope to go to Montana this year for the first time which is why I'm following this thread. I guess my biggest concern would be camping/sleeping in Griz country. I like to sleep when I can and wondering if anyone camping in Montana sets up any kind of perimeter alarm?
Claymores work but can be a bit indiscriminate and make nighttime bathroom runs interesting....
In all seriousness I think people worry way to much about this. Take reasonable precautions and don't be an idiot and you will be fine. In the thickest of grizzly country in MT you are more likely to be killed by deadfall or just falling. I'm fine with folks not hunting grizzly country, more for me... I mean no elk there anyway, damn wolves and bears ran them all off... If it makes people feel any better, most people that do get mauled survive and have a good bear cuddling story

SBAHunts

FNG
I can 45cal and bear spray. From what I read all those attacked last year had the same, a sidearm & spray...just little to no time to react. Some very good advice above

sneaky

"DADDY"

I, too, spent time in the Corps. Unfortunately I had to wear a flak all the time. The new MTV vests aren't any lighter, and by the time you put front and rear SAPI plates in, along with the side plates, you're looking at 25lbs or so before putting any gear on it which ramps it up quick.

Getting back to sleeping, have you thought about one of the portable bear fence setups? There's a couple of threads in the DIY section about making your own if you don't want to buy a commercial one. A perimeter alarm that's heat activated might work, but you don't want one that's motion activated if you're near trees or grass that would be blowing around.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Yeah, one of the guys last year actually stepped over a log and stepped on one that was asleep. There's no gunfighter on here quick enough to react to that.