Montana back country camping during dry spell

What are the rules in Montana or any public lands on stoves or cooking during a dry spell, or during fire restriction period?

Will be heading out 3rd week in September Elk hunting and trying to plan for dry conditions, if current dry trend continues.

Can you still use jetboil and MSR type stoves

Thanks

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
You can almost always use a canister stove. Most restrictions are on open fires and internal combustion engines. Check with the local Forest Service District prior to your hunt to get the details at the time.

OP
L
Thanks guys that is what I thought, just wanted to check and see what other thought.

First time on this site over the last several weeks and have founds tons of great information. Thanks to all those who contribute, and make this site great, knowledge is power, and all can gain from others experiences and personal knowledge.

Went on my first back country elk hunt last year and have been addicted ever since I left. It is all consuming and have committed myself to learning and getting myself physically and mentally ready for this years experience, from training, to shooting my bow, to all the other gear. It is becoming part of my everyday life.

Keep it coming guys I'm eating up.

Thanks

Thanks again.